Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1977 guide to fashion....including island wear

Pages: 1 11 replies

That's been posted round these parts somewhere before. I like the barrel furniture. Good with Rum.

This is why I always say .....
it was the worst time for fashion,ever! which is one of the reasons why we started punk and came up with our own fashion sense
including vintage clothes of the 50s & 60s, which in the 1970s was super cheap, I used to buy 1950s whole suits
for 3 to 5 dollars, shirts for a dollar etc.

So yes, Punk rock saved the 70s from being a complete fashion write off!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-05-13 20:36 ]

To be fair its JC PENNYS! its not like they have EVER been fsshion forward.

OW, MY EYES! MY EYES! OW!!!

B

Would you believe that jumpsuits are supposedly making a comeback!? I HATED those things - they were the WORST (for us girls at least) when you had to pee REALLY bad (like at a kegger!)

L

love how there are so many matching sets!

one thing lacking in todays fashion are matching men/women sets!

L

love how there are so many matching sets!

one thing lacking in todays fashion are matching men/women sets!

T

We may laugh at the fashions now, but everyone got laid in the 70s. :wink: Maybe they couldn't wait to take off all that uncomfortable polyester!

A

I've been looking around for a unisex Style Thread because I have a burning question:

Are aloha and loud shirts and flowery island dresses the only acceptable attire at a bar or party? What about suits?

It seems that suits have been claimed by Mad Men fans. I'm concerned the fashion police will grill me on episodes (I don't watch Mad Men) if we were to show up in suits and dresses...like the kind you see in old tiki bar photos... so elegant.

I dress like an aging art student, and could use some HELP! thx

J

Amy, one of the really unspoken things is the Prep/Tiki connection. If you thumb through the Official Preppy Handbook -- dunno about the sequel, haven't read it -- you will spot MANY references to Tiki spots as places to be. (Lots of Trader Vic's references, for example.)

I can't imagine the Social Register crowd rocking any look other than their own.

MN

:wink: This thread seems to be more about threads and furniture and not tiki. There weren't any tikis on the aloha wear. :lol:

I think this is Howie Munson (Douglas Barr) from Fall Guy.

Pages: 1 11 replies