Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

sunset strip-palomino icon troy walker sunday may 16th for free!

Pages: 1 1 replies

CJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkX5fEOSciU

THE MESSAROUND PRESENTS SUNSET STRIP-PALOMINO ICON TROY WALKER, WAH-WAH RULER DEL CASHER AND PUNK-GARAGE THRILLERS THE HANDSOME SEXIES

Kicking, Monthly No-Cover Showcase Delivers Peerless Talent You'll Hear Nowhere Else

Messaround mogul Jonny Whiteside ecstatically hosts the first show in almost a decade by Troy Walker, the dynamic androgyne who flipped everybody's wig along the early 60's Sunset Strip. Working at joints like the Crescendo and Gazzarri's, Walker drew SRO crowds that included Elvis Presley, Phil Spector, Ethel Merman, Judy Garland and Gregory Peck, and collaborated with the likes of Timi Yuro, Brian & Dennis Wilson, Darryl Dragon and Leon Russell. By the early 1970's, Walker, with his flowing tresses, tight pants and dangerously high heels, was a fixture at stone redenck C&W shrine the Palomino. There, Jerry Lee Lewis proclaimed "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the first time I've worked with a dude wearin' a doily, I don't know what the hell he is but I'm giving him a name right now, and I want you to give a big hand to the Killer, Troy Walker!" The pair had never actually been introduced, but, Walker recalled, "The first time I met Jerry Lee, I put a gun in the middle of his forehead" (long story). A show-stopping entertainer who mixes biting satire, gorgeous balladry, outrageous humor and a second-to-none repertoire of country, soul and rock & roll numbers, Walker's long overdue return to the bandstand is considered, amongst Hollywood's underworld cognoscenti, as the biggest musical event of the year.

By popular demand, the Messaround also welcomes back incomparable guitar stylist Del Casher for his second appearance. The inventor of the wah-wah peddle, Casher is intimately conversant with the full spectrum of American music, from pure communicative jazz to frosty cocktail blues to rabble-rousing rockabilly, and is the cat who truly did the 1960’s Hollywood music business "A-Z"--as lead guitarist for Gene Autry’s Melody Ranch by day and as hired hand for Frank Zappa at the Whisky by night; an in-demand session player, who has cut with everyone from Frank Sinatra to supplying the twang for TV’s Bonanza theme, Casher's dazzling, wah-wah laced mastery is nothing less than mesmerizing.

Untamed garage-punk noise makers The Handsome Sexies bring bales of admirably abrasive, primitvo big beat philosophy and hard-hitting bonehead anthems, delivered with a fang-bearing intensity and supremely sloppy attitude that's guaranteed to both shiver your sacroiliac and instill a state of drooling delirium from which you may never recover.

Ace house band The Messaround Tabernacle Choir, featuring bassist Paul Marshall (the only man in the business who has worked with Russ Meyer and Rose Maddox) and veteran honky-tonk guitarist Harry Orlove (both of whom have accompanied Troy Walker innumerable times) and well-traveled session drummer David Raven, will keep it country with their own opening set, back up Troy and Casher and accommodate any surprise drop-ins along the way.

At Viva Cantina, 900 West Riverside Drive, Burbank, CA 91506-3211; Sun., May 16, 5 - 9 p.m.; no cover. http://www.vivacantina.com.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, May 14, 2010 3:00 PM

Joe - Thanks for the heads-up on this one, man!

Pages: 1 1 replies