Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

WWII Tribute Wall.

Pages: 1 26 replies

As many of you know, I have a great deal of respect for my parents' generation, dubbed the Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw (read the book). This generation lived through The Great Depression & fought both here & abroad to protect our way of life & stave of the tyranny of 2 of the worst dictators in world history. As I search flea markets, antique malls & yard sales for remnants of the carefree Poly-Pop world these folks created after the war, I invariably come across photos of forgotten heroes from that generation. A while back, I decided to start purchasing these photos & create a "Wall of Honor" in the hallway leading into my lounge. Of course, once I decided this, I stopped finding these photos. This week I managed to add 2 more heroes to my wall. Here is the humble beginning of my wall & the 2 fellows I met this week.

This is Staff Sgt. Charles Yule of Oswego, NY. A little PI work online revealed that Sgt. Yule passed away in 2004 at the age of 91 leaving his wife of 67 years, but no children. Mrs. Yule passed away in February & I bought this photo this week.
Also included was a menu from a dinner dance for Sgt. Yule's bomber squdron, when they returned to Virginia in 1945.

Added this young man to my wall, today. He too, was a member of a bomber squadron. Judging by his stripes & medals, I believe he was either a gunner or a bomber. There is no info on or with the photo.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2010-05-15 20:31 ]

Well done Riick. Every photograph that you save is literally a snapshot of history. And thanks for saving it. Here's one I picked up of some happy guys with their B-25. I'm trying to track down some history on the photo. Thanks for sharing and please post some more.

Sorry to get off track but I had to tell this to someone. I went to a postcard show awhile back looking for tiki cards. Most of the dealers gave me a blank stare and said they didn't have any of "those cards". After going from booth to booth a man in his nineties said "sure I have some of those" He handed me the small pile of cards with shaky hands and I said thanks. He saw a postcard for Clifton's Pacific Restaurant. He looked up from the card but not at me and started to tell me about his time in the Navy like he was back in 1942. He had been to Clifton's the day before he shipped out on his minesweeper for the war in the Pacific and they treated him like royalty and gave him his lunch for free. Long story short, his ship steamed over 250,000 miles during his tour, lost allot of good friends and gained many memories. His wife scolded for not helping other folks and told him to pick up the pace. I thanked him for the chat and we shook hands. The ninety year old sailor with the shaky hands nearly crushed mine with grip stronger than most construction workers I know.

Great photo, Trav. I'm beginning to think you & I were separated at birth. :lol:
I always make sure I take time to chat with those folks whenever I happen upon them. They know more about life than we ever will & I thank them for their service.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2010-05-16 10:06 ]

Not every photo or artifact I find lends itself well to being hung on the "Wall Of Heroes" & I don't like removing photos from the holders they've been in for 65 years, so I've also created a display shelf within my Tiki Lounge. Last week, I found this great little flagpole to add to it.

This week I was fortunate enough to find a nice little pic of Tom & Doris. What a lovely couple!

I also found this amazing photo album from a serviceman's tour of duty in the Pacific Theater in 1944. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

WOW!!!! great finds Rick. That album is amazing. Now that the good weather is starting to arrive I am looking forward to the sounds of radial engines roaring through the area.

Morning, Trav. I have learned to open every photo album & scrapbook I see at Flea Markets & Antique Malls. Needless to say, I got a bit excited when I opened this one. It was marked $20.00, which was just fine with me & then I noticed a big 50% off sign. Score! I've got to go back to the same place, because there were a coupla other WWII items I wanted, but didn't have the dough for, I had to buy that headhunter & that wiped out my budget.

Added another young man, recently. No info, at all, on the picture, but I thank you sir for your service. I've got to find some vintage frames for a couple of these fellas.

H
Heath posted on Wed, May 16, 2012 8:21 AM

This seemed like the most fitting place to post these.

September 21, 1946, my grandfather receiving a Distinguished Flying Cross and two Gold Stars in lieu of 5th and 6th Air Medal.

Since he was stationed in Hawaii, my grandmother got to work on her tan.

One was used in the paper.

Finally, a friend sent me this link.
VJ Day in Hawaii

Those are great pics, Heath.

PP

awesome!!!

BK

Added another young man, today.

EJ

Very cool idea and thread. Thanks for sharing.

Brought some new folks home, last week. It's nice to have some ladies in uniform. Lord knows they did their part. Now,I have to figure out how to integrate them into the wall.

On 2014-07-13 10:11, Big Kahuna wrote:
Brought some new folks home, last week. It's nice to have some ladies in uniform. Lord knows they did their part.

Well said Rick. I know a great lady who during the war serviced B-24 Liberator bombers in Battle Creek Mi. She is now in her early nineties and in a nursing home. Though not in the service she sure did her part as well. Your doing a great job of keeping the memory of these folks from being forgotten. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Trav! The romantic goober in me just fell for that photo of the young couple, on what I assume is their wedding day.

Bump

Found another "yearbook". This one's from the 58th Seabees battalion stationed on Vella Lavella with Pappy Boyington & The Black Sheep in WWII.

Awesome find BK. Those boys pull a hard duty during wartime. I am in the construction industry but can't imagine trying to do a job under fire which these folks have done countless times. I would turn and run if I saw one of these bad boys on the job site!!!

Damn, Trav. Is that from WWII?

That's the military's new D-9 combat dozer. Here is a shot of a WWII era dozer with a boilerplate make over. Keep posting those good finds.

I thought that looked too hi-tech.

Picked up a couple of buddies to add to the wall.

Found a nurse to take care of the boys, this week.

Great save Rick. Imagine all the stories those photos could tell if they could talk. That fine looking officer is a 2nd Lieutenant. The nurse corp motto was and is "Embrace the past - Engage the present - Envision the future". I'm sure she did all of those things and more in her day. Here is a clear shot of what the lapel pin looks like. Keep up the good work my friend.

Thanks, Trav. You know how much respect I have for that generation. What the heck were you doing awake at 5:22, by the way?

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2015-07-19 06:53 ]

On 2015-07-19 06:52, Big Kahuna wrote:
Thanks, Trav. You know how much respect I have for that generation. What the heck were you doing awake at 5:22, by the way?

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2015-07-19 06:53 ]

Haha that's west coast time. It was 8:22AM here and I was on my patio enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the hummingbirds in the garden.

Duh! You'd think after 8 years on TC, I'd know that!

Pages: 1 26 replies