Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pali Hawaiian Style Shirts

Pages: 1 23 replies

Found some Pali shirts that belonged to my grandfather and granduncle. Since, they're too small for me, I think that I'm going to press them and have them framed. I think they would look great behind or in close proximately to the tiki bar that's still under construction.

Also, WOW on the value of vintage clothing. I had no idea.

Here's the shirts:

The Kahala Twins jamming in September of 1958:

Publicity photo: Wish I had those shirts, too.

Sorry, forgot to ask.... should I have them pressed and framed with the sleeves out flat? I'm nervous about sending them to a local drycleaner due to their age. Anyone know of a shop that deals in vintage shirts in the LA/ Orange County area?

gee a triple post... sorry.

[ Edited by: Deke Kahala 2010-05-18 16:48 ]

ooops

[ Edited by: Deke Kahala 2010-05-18 16:49 ]

Deke -

Those shirts look like they are in great shape! What normally breaks a shirt down is starch being pressed into the fabric many times over. Basically, it just slowly cooks the fibers. But, you should be able to press these shirts to remove wrinkles, prior to framing, and the garmets will be okay. If necessary, you can even have light starch applied to provide a bit of sizing and stiffening. But, do not let a dry cleaners put these into their normal vat of hot water cleaning solution...that might be too much for these shirts.

What is the fabric content of these shirts?

Are these shirts stiff and brittle at all?

Oh, I would definitely frame these with the sleeves out to show the shape and full design of the shirt. When you do get them framed, post more pictures!

Deke, that Black and White glossy is rad, I would love to use it for my book "The Look of Tiki", about Polynesian shirts. I just sent you a personal message, you have to log in to see it.

On 2010-05-18 17:53, Vince Martini wrote:
Deke -

Those shirts look like they are in great shape! What normally breaks a shirt down is starch being pressed into the fabric many times over. Basically, it just slowly cooks the fibers. But, you should be able to press these shirts to remove wrinkles, prior to framing, and the garmets will be okay. If necessary, you can even have light starch applied to provide a bit of sizing and stiffening. But, do not let a dry cleaners put these into their normal vat of hot water cleaning solution...that might be too much for these shirts.

What is the fabric content of these shirts?

Are these shirts stiff and brittle at all?

Oh, I would definitely frame these with the sleeves out to show the shape and full design of the shirt. When you do get them framed, post more pictures!

Thanks for the reply! I knew I would get the info I need here. No dry cleaner, got it. The shirts are rayon and very silky smooth.

I have a friend who frames artwork and has done several other pieces for us and she is going to frame these shirts, too. Hopefully, she'll have them done in a month or so.

On 2010-05-18 20:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
Deke, that Black and White glossy is rad, I would love to use it for my book "The Look of Tiki", about Polynesian shirts. I just sent you a personal message, you have to log in to see it.

The "Kahala" family would be honored for you to use the photo in your book. I have several other pubicity photos of them, other band mates and another "Lei Momi", all in various Aloha shirts. I'll get them post up here for you to see.

Thank you Deke, wonderful! Here is an example of a framed shirt that my friend Rod has hanging in his pool hut in Palm Springs:

That's gonna be in my book of course :)

In your case, I think it would be cool to have the two in one frame next to each other, and with a black and white glossy of the original owners, like the one above, it'll give it context and elevate the meaning.

I replied to your p.m.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-05-20 10:01 ]

On 2010-05-19 12:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank you Deke, wonderful! Here is an example of a framed shirt that my friend Rod has hanging in his pool hut in Palm Springs:

That's gonna be in my book of course :)

Hey, I recognize that shirt, and wonderful example indeed. It looks great hanging on the wall of Rod & Cindra's PS pool shack.

bigbrotiki,

Here's some more pictures of the Kahala Twins,Lei Momi and a couple of them when they worked with Johnny Ukulele.

Wonderful! Those photo studio 8X10 black & white glossies are just the best, so crisp. I especially dig the first one!
I said so here earlier: There is a whole facet of Polynesian pop history laying undiscovered in the stories and pictures of Polynesian floor show entertainers and musicians!

What a coincidence that your folks performed with Johnny Ukelele: I just wrote about his kids, Mary and Norman Kaye, in my CD booklet:

Deke,
Great pics. Love the Silvertone Guitars. Very sought after nowadays.

On 2010-05-24 21:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wonderful! Those photo studio 8X10 black & white glossies are just the best, so crisp. I especially dig the first one!
I said so here earlier: There is a whole facet of Polynesian pop history laying undiscovered in the stories and pictures of Polynesian floor show entertainers and musicians!

What a coincidence that your folks performed with Johnny Ukelele: I just wrote about his kids, Mary and Norman Kaye, in my CD booklet:

Very cool!I believe we have more stuff about Johnny Ukulele such a newspaper articles and maybe more photos.

My sister has more photos of them and she is bringing them over next week. I'm not sure if there is more of the glossies, but if there is, I'll post them up for you.

drgoat,

Bitchin' guitars, I wish we had them.

Here's another photo that show off another set of guitars. The date is "1960, El Cortez Hotel, Las Vegas, NV."

D

Deke,
I think those bitchin guitars are Silvertones, sold by Sears & Monkey Wards back in the 50s 60s & 70s. Made by Danelectro. I had one back between 65 and 72. Sold it much to my consternation today. I sure wish I had it back. They still sell them for I think between 200-400$. Jimmy Page plays with one, so they became very popular. The old ones are very sought after. Great memories for you.

Here's an update. This is a mockup with the shirts, business card and one of the publicy photos. Can't wait until we have on the wall.

M

On 2010-06-08 15:14, drgoat456 wrote:
Deke,
I think those bitchin guitars are Silvertones, sold by Sears & Monkey Wards back in the 50s 60s & 70s. Made by Danelectro.
I pretty sure Mr. 'Kahala' knows more than most about cool old guitars/steels/amps and those that played them, and certainly how to throw an awesome party to showcase them...:wink:

I just wish I still had my vintage Hawaiian shirt collection, as every piece was way beyond anything I've ever seen elsewhere, not at all gaudy but instead the epitome of simplicity per style and class. That type seem to be extinct, even from the books. They certainly don't make em' like that any more.

Here's a sketch of how the shirt picture will be display, next to the still-unfinished-tiki bar.

Here's one of the photos that has been framed. Its going behind the bar.

Well, here's a couple of picture of the framed shirts. We had both frames crated and shipped. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!

Deke, looking awesome there! This is going to look great on your wall. Now, finish the tiki bar!!!

Thanks, Vince. Well, the tiki bar is built, it just needs to be finished with trim pieces. Its the wall and ceiling of the room that need to be done. Heading to Oceanic Arts in a few weeks.

On 2010-06-25 15:24, Deke Kahala wrote:
Thanks, Vince. Well, the tiki bar is built, it just needs to be finished with trim pieces. Its the wall and ceiling of the room that need to be done. Heading to Oceanic Arts in a few weeks.

I can never ever visit Oceanic Arts simply because I will visit and spend every penny in my possession! Have fun shopping!!!

Pages: 1 23 replies