Tiki Central / Other Events

KUs reunite at the Bishop Museum, June 5 through October 4, 2010

Pages: 1 5 replies

A most noteworthy convergence of classic Tiki carvings:

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibits/comingup.html

Feel the power!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, May 19, 2010 1:26 PM

Very cool. Maybe volcanoes will erupt and the end of the world will happen or something...

On 2010-04-09 09:52, Zeta wrote:
Postcard from the Museum

For trade

The one in Salem Mass.
Postcard still available!

Awesome.

Here are the reunited three.

DC

K
Koolau posted on Sun, Oct 3, 2010 9:55 PM

Last day for viewing the three Ku's is Monday - if you are on Oahu, go. I finally went on Friday, and it was amazing to see those three carvings. Even though each tiki has different details, the most overwhelming impression was their similarity - height, size, overall shape, etc. They look so different in the individual photos, but together they are all kind of mend into one. The similarities weirdly overwhelm the differences.

One interesting thing - all three are carved out of breadfruit wood. Not a wood I see used very often - I wonder if that is partly why these three tikis survived.

First visit to the Hawaiian Hall since the restoration - looks very nice, but it is so dark! Indirect lighting, the bane of the 21st century. Some theatrical lighting would have helped . . .

More (still not many) tikis and carvings are out on display now - I was kind of embarrassed by how many thinks I recognized only due to my Hawaiian cultural instructor, Professor Coco Joe's. Low brow meets high brow, I guess.

Pages: 1 5 replies