Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

stolen tikis!!!

Pages: 1 17 replies

P

I did a search and noticed there wasn't a stolen tiki thread, so I guess I'm starting one.

This one was stolen from my yard yesterday! And they must have really wanted it because it was HEAVY man! It would have taken at least 2 dudes and a truck to get it.

Is there some sort of Brady curse that goes with stolen tikis???

Could someone photoshop his face onto a milk carton or something???

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2010-05-21 08:11 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 21, 2010 10:17 AM

Sorry for your loss.

At least you know that your tikis are desired! Sucks about them stealing it. Any tikis I put with public access are usually bolted, chained or cemented in place. That's why my house looks very generic in the front. Sad but true.

The thieves will rot from the inside out like a neglected palm log.

That really sucks, to me that's completely goes against all that is Tiki.

P

You know, I'm really not that upset about it. When I was young I did a lot of stupid things, and I think that everything that you put out there into the universe eventually comes back to you...whether it's tomorrow or in 30 years.

There were several other pieces out there that they could have snatched, and I only had about 2 1/2 hrs into that one, so it's really not a big deal. Just surprising, as there were still parts of it that were still quite rough and unfinished. If they'd waited another week they could have stolen a finished piece!

Kinda weird when I came home yesterday and it was gone. Oh well, it least it was a cheap lesson. Looks like I'll have to make a few tall ones with an extra 2 ft & putting 'em in the ground with a cement base if I want to have them in the front yard (which I do).

Maybe this should turn into a "how do you secure your outdoor tikis" thread!

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, May 21, 2010 1:04 PM

Jaja! It's kinda cool that sophisticated savages still steal tikis in the 21st century... It's just funny because tikis are the most useless thing ever. Sorry, I have a weakness for art thieves! I bet the pagan thieves threw a welcome party for their new deity.

Dude that really sucks! All that work.. Maybe they will return it if you put some fliers out on telephone polls and at the front of some local businesses. Maybe add the no questions asked if returned. Sorry for your loss.

On 2010-05-21 13:04, Zeta wrote:
Jaja! It's kinda cool that sophisticated savages still steal tikis in the 21st century... It's just funny because tikis are the most useless thing ever. Sorry, I have a weakness for art thieves! I bet the pagan thieves threw a welcome party for their new deity.

Not to get all technical, but no "sophisticated" savage would ever steal a Tiki from it's location unless it was threatened in some way. Demolition or remodel or something like that. Just going back to the old Tiki Mantra or so called rules.

pjc5150 very sorry for the loss. Thieves are the worst.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, May 21, 2010 3:41 PM

Hey, I'm sorry for your loss too but I think the tone of your thread is that "it's not so bad" I know thieves are the worst! I am just saying there's "evil sophisticated savages" too. I think it is faltering in a real way that your art get's stolen... I'm just sayin...

T

FUCK THAT!! GRAB A GUN AND GO DOOR TO DOOR!!
Let'm know just how crazy a guy with a chainsaw and a angle grinder with a torch to coterize the wounds, so you can keep carving!! Can be!!

a....... I mean "I am really sorry for your loss" . maybe u should post some missing dog fliers or something.. JK I Want to put my stuff out front too but with today s society you really never know?

Yeah, stealing a tiki from a CARVER, let alone someone who bought it is just BAD ju-ju, man. Bowana put it to the tune of being akin to someone stealing part of your soul. I was an obnoxious punker thief when I was a kid and I've gotten it ALL back.......so will they, my friend. So will they.

C

You would be surprised what people will take. I had a four foot ku I started. I only got the legs and mouth done when I realized it had rot and beetles eating it. So I tossed it. Within an hour someone grabbed it from the trash!! There was almost no work done to it but they still took it!

P

Mad dog! That rules bro! Thanks~

And Billy, yeah, me too. That's why I believe it's just Kharma man.

To everyone else, thanks for the support.

S

Dam that sucks. I have a few tikis in the ground outside I hope they stay that way.

perhaps if everyone put hood ornaments on their tikis...then only the hood ornament would get stolen .....?

I had a feeling this was going to happen to you after watching your video on the news and by you saying how they just all hang out on the front porch from a later post you made. Sorry to hear that, just time to make more:)

P

Yep. Looks like it's buried cement-base tikis from here on out!

Which is cool, because if I know they're permanent I'll spend more time & make them extra good.

I've got a big Marq in mind....hmmmm.....

Pages: 1 17 replies