Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Meheadhunters Village....Replica Survivor Immunity Necklace

Pages: 1 17 replies

I posted this in the other crafts section on my thread but thought they may be more appropriate here. I worked on carving some tikis this weekend and had a blast doing it....these are the first tikis I have ever carved and truly appreciate the talent so many of you have for carving. This carving business is truly hard and I have learned that I need many more chisels than just one....LOL! Gonna stock up on some very soon!! I used a couple tikis from this site for inspiration, so I hope no one gets to upset....These are just for my backyard and will not be selling them profit. Here they are....

This one is about 20" X 14"

This one is a tiny little guy....About 6" tall

Thanks for looking!!

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2010-06-22 22:52 ]

L

Hey! Good carve for a first! And the tiny fullbody is very good too.

Keep carving! :)

J.

S

Very very good for your first tikis. Welcome.

On 2010-05-24 18:47, Meheadhunter wrote:
These are just for my backyard and will not be selling them profit. Here they are....
This one is a tiny little guy....About 6" tall

Aw Crap! It's too bad you're not selling that guy. He's really cool. For some reason I really like him and would have bought him, had he been for sale! If you change your mind, let me know. :P

Buzzy Out!

Pretty SWEEEEET!!!! You've got skilz!

Thanks for all the comments....I really enjoy carving!!
Buzzy...the little guy is definately not one of my designs and I would hate to step on any toes!! Let me get into the swing of things with carving and maybe something will come up that you like that is my own!! I definately still need a drum!! :)
I ordered some more Pfiel Chisels and a hand planer yesterday....Hopefully they'll arrive soon!!

Nice work! I am itchin' to carve some myself!

Superb!

B

cool Stuff Youheadhunter, about time you started carving tikis and from the looks of it you will be doing well at it.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks sooo much from all of you for the great comments!!
I finished putting on the last coat of satin spar urethane on the big guy today....I'll post some pics when he is dry enough to move!!
I hope I made the right choice of finish for him....He will be outside most his life except in the winter.
What are your thoughts on clear finishes?

I really like that first one. Very good.

Jungle Trader....Thanks so much!
My wife ran off with my camera a few days ago without me knowing... :-?
I got it back this evening...new pics of him finished will be taken tomorrow!! :)

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2010-06-03 21:32 ]

B

love the head, great style and a bit scary and voodoo-ey looking :D

BigAndy...Thanks so much...He is kinda spooky looking!! :evil:

Here's an update on the tiki...
Got some pics of him with satin clear finish!! :)

Ok....Here is a Survivor Replica Immunity necklace I have been working on...
Finally finished tonight!! :)
I had to improvise a little since I didn't have any Jade...
So I simplified it a bit!!
It is made of Bone, Pine Wood, Hemp rope, and Wire!!
I tried to keep things looking as primitive as possible..
But was kind of hard to do when working with "new" material.
I have some ideas to make another one to try and show some better "age"!!
Here's the pics!!

Sorry for the bad lighting...try to take better pics when sun is shining!!
Thanks for looking...

Till next time!!

Really nice work. It DOES take some amount of skill to even copy something, so don't sell yourself short. Rod Serling once said that all writers start out as copies of other writers until they develop their own style. Serling referred to himself as a "cut-rate Hemingway" (or something to that effect) when starting out.

If you keep it up, you'll be selling your own designs in less than a year.

[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)

[ Edited by: Baron von Tiki 2010-06-23 01:42 ]

you do great work meheadhunter......i love the finish you put on that first Marq.....i dont like colors on most pieces but i love the suttle tones on that piece with the satin finish. nice job man......

Baron von Tiki....I am pretty creative and artistic in other forms of media....but the whole carving thing is a little new to me! So inspiration from others is definately helpful. Check out my thread in other crafts if you havent already!! Thanks for the inspiring words!! :)

Creative Chimp...That was my first carve and first finish on a tiki...I am really happy with the way it turned out also...Thank you so much!!

Pages: 1 17 replies