Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace

Pages: 1 2 3 4 184 replies

I'm so there the day it opens

AHH! Excellent! I can't wait, this is going to be great! I'm definitely going to be there.

I just read about this on the Disneyland facebook page and am really really excited!
Ah man I'm going there this weekend so I will be too early for the opening - doh!

where exactly is it located - in the middle of the original Disneyland Hotel complex by the caves? Is it where the nice restaurant by the pool used to be?

Its in the middle of the Disneyland Hotel, right next door to the Never Land Pool. Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGd4aFEhxNU

can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

end transmission

DARK&TIKI

[ Edited by: carlosrossi 2011-05-02 19:27 ]

Those carvings are classic Oceanic Arts work used in Tiki Temples since the 60s:

This shield was a real popular O.A. item, I even saw it at the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio:

It's design is taken from the classic B&W "Oceanic Art" book

Ben will note that they are standing/hanging against white walls. But better white walls WITH good Tikis than white walls with NO Tikis.
Glad to see that Disney is continuing its longstanding relationship with O.A. - as the D23 Magazine article notes:
'PASSING THE TIKI TORCH: From the Enchanted Tiki Room to the blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean films, the work of two laid-back Southern California craftsmen is carved into Disney lore."

The Trader Sam's rendering looks promising too: Beachcomber lamps, Tiki poles, bottle ships and a volcano diorama outside the window.

And "Schweitzer Falls" is a great name for a non-alcoholic cocktail! :)

On 2011-05-02 13:21, MauiRose wrote:
Update from the Disney Parks blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/05/whats-on-the-menu-at-new-disneyland-hotel-restaurants-opening-may-25/

What’s on the Menu at New Disneyland Hotel Restaurants, Opening May 25

We’ve been sharing details here on the Disney Parks Blog about the new Disneyland Hotel restaurants, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining and Trader Sam’s – Enchanted Tiki Bar, and today we’ve got even more to share with you. The biggest news is that both restaurants will open on May 25!

Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will feature a tropical setting complete with tiki torches and island music setting the stage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can start the day with signature breakfast items such as French toast with bacon and warm banana-caramel sauce and grilled cinnamon-spice oatmeal with island fruit.

For lunch and dinner, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will offer a 1/3-pound Angus Hawaiian cheeseburger with teriyaki sauce, bacon, grilled pineapple, Havarti, tomato and lettuce burger on a multi-grain bun. (Can you imagine taking the first messy bite?) For the health conscious, the Asian chicken salad has lots of greens (lettuce, cabbage, carrots, sweet peppers and cucumbers) with chicken breast, cashews and rice noodles in a sesame vinaigrette. The Kalua pork flatbread is topped with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, red onion and fresh cilantro.

Every evening, a different “Island Plate Dinner” will be on the menu. Look for miso-crusted salmon, tamarind-glazed pork shanks or panko-crusted chicken, each served with jasmine rice, panko-crusted long beans and green papaya slaw.

If you’re in a hurry, a “Grab ‘n Go” selection includes yogurt parfait with tropical fruits and house-made granola, a tropical fruit plate, house-made pastries, sandwiches, veggie with dips, a sweet potato cake with guava cream cheese icing, pineapple-lilikoi pie, and “Trader Sam’s Dessert Flight” with pineapple upside-down cake, layered passion fruit with pineapple-coconut crème and chocolate coffee cake.

Trader Sam’s—Enchanted Tiki Bar is adjacent to Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining, with substantial “bar food” – sweet ‘n spicy Asian wings, chicken lettuce wraps, panko-crusted Chinese long beans with Sriracha mayo, tamarind-glazed pork shanks with green papaya slaw and ahi poke (sushi-grade tuna) with avocado, green onion and crispy wontons.

But it’s the vintage island cocktails in kitschy glassware that we can’t wait to try. How about Krakatoa Punch with reserve aged rum, light rum, tropical juices, almond syrup and hibiscus grenadine? Or Uh Oa!, with light rum, spiced rum, guava, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, fresh lime juice and cinnamon? Serious rum lovers will want to try the HippopotoMai Tai with two shots of light and dark rums, orange curacao, almond syrup, organic agave nectar and fresh lime juice.

The non-alcoholic Schweitzer Falls is a refreshing blend of pineapple, guava, orange and passion fruit juices with all-spice syrup and a splash of Sprite.

Now we’re dreaming of vacation time!

Fantastic.
Thanks for posting this info.

So who else is going there for the opening??
I'm kinda thinking of possibly bringing da kidz over from Maui
and staying a couple nights when they first open...
Looks like a great place..

I'll probably go for the opening night.

Jeff(btd)

I'll probably go as well. It would be a shame to miss out on an opening of something that could possibly be this amazing!

TM

It's pretty clear that this will not be a place to get authentic tropical drinks from the golden age of tiki....but I could care less! (I don't drink that fruity stuff anyway-blasphemy!)
But the fact that this is Disney....I am there!

Now, does anyone know if they have removed the mist caves that were just south of this area? because I loved going down there after getting plastered at the Lost bar.

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-03 09:46 ]

I only live 34 miles from DLR. I am SO there when it opens!!! Looks fantastic! What a great place to eat after spending time in the Enchanted Tiki Room!

TM

Well, I am deeply dissapointed they removed the waterfalls...(mist caves) because they were awesome, and really would have fit in perfect with the whole "tiki" thing...

I do understand why, of course. Liability. Assholes kept on getting hurt in there, and that is why for the last 2-3 years the area was chained off most of the time.

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2010/07/30/fans-rally-to-save-disneyland-hotel-waterfalls/51491/

On 2011-05-03 00:34, Beachbumz wrote:
So who else is going there for the opening??
I'm kinda thinking of possibly bringing da kidz over from Maui
and staying a couple nights when they first open...
Looks like a great place..

Good chance opening day or the next.
We'll definitely get a room at the hotel.
Some excellent rooms specials running now.
Don't hold me to it, but perhaps this may be the location of (what now may be the former) Lost Bar and the really excellent deli/market adjacent to it.

B

Good news....we were at OA today. Bob & Leroy talked about their involvement with this project and got a peek at the huge Tikis Leroy is carving for the entrance. Bob said the opening date may be delayed because they were recently asked to do a bunch more stuff. I'm sure Disney will still want to get it open before school is out or even Memorial weekend. TikiTony also did a painting that was purchased for Trader Sam's.

On 2011-05-03 15:28, bongofury wrote:
....the huge Tikis Leroy is carving for the entrance. Bob said the opening date may be delayed because they were recently asked to do a bunch more stuff....

How great! Leroy is truly the last craftsman that has survived the downfall of the art form and still is able to practice it in that style today.
HUGE Leroy Schmaltz Tiki = GOOD Tiki :)

C

May 28 is when I stroll up to the bar to drink.. Enough said..

Article bout Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar. Nothing new but just in case you were interested...

O.C. Weekly: Disneyland Hotel

Z

If it's in bad form I'll delete these shots, but here's one of the front columns in its two halves (some people here will never see this stuff in the flesh.) It will be picked up tomorrow and painted by Disney's people. You can just see where the two tiki columns will stand on each side of the door.

Z~

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-05-08 14:28 ]

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-05-08 14:38 ]

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-05-08 14:39 ]

X
xtine posted on Sun, May 8, 2011 5:18 PM

Wow. That's some big tiki. I really can't wait for this place!

Question is: HOW are they gonna paint it?

Like this:

or like this:

Sven,
You know you really like the later right?
It just screams "pre-party city, tiki"
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

L

I saw this little mention in a Disneyland Blog:

"And after 18 months of heavy construction the Disneyland Hotel executives also want to publicly market their remade rooms and new Polynesian restaurant and bar with the clever interactive effects that are activated upon ordering certain cocktails or menu items, plus the upgraded pool area and monorail waterslides."

Has anyone heard more detail about the interactive part or what it will involve?

H

On 2011-05-09 08:47, Loki-Tiki wrote:
...new Polynesian restaurant and bar with the clever interactive effects that are activated upon ordering certain cocktails ......

Has anyone heard more detail about the interactive part or what it will involve?

I'm guessing sort of like what happens at the Tiki Ti when you order certain cocktails but with animatronics? Hmmm.

On 2011-05-09 09:36, Hakalugi wrote:

I'm guessing sort of like what happens at the Tiki Ti when you order certain cocktails but with animatronics? Hmmm.

Or it could simply be some sort of ritualistic presentation of the menu item by the staff. Think in terms of Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour Restaurants, or like this clip from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure which was based on a similar experience.
I'm thinking lighting effects, music, and maybe a little presentation flair is what they are talking about. :drink: :tiki:

Bear

J

shall we plan a group trip to the new tiki location? =)

B

On 2011-05-11 08:58, JudyLuck wrote:
shall we plan a group trip to the new tiki location? =)

I wish I weren't working that week and that it wasn't a blackout period on my pass the next few weekends. Otherwise I could get a couple of people in the park FREE! Then I'll be at Hukilau in June, Tiki Oasis in August, Goin' Primitive in October... What a year!

My Mom works at Disneyland,
and did some asking around.

She heard its opening on the 23rd.

Not sure if that is in stone.
but just thought I would pass the info.

That is the monday after Tiki Caliente.

Jeff(btd)

I may need to be schooled on this, but just what is the importance of Disneyland to the
classic Tiki/Polynesian scene of the 50s & 60s ?

My parents both worked in Hollywood for the movie studios in the 50s and loved going to Tiki supper clubs & bars
but never mentioned Disneyland?

I am aware of the Enchanted Tiki Room & remember seeing it as kid, but wasn't this long after the actual Tiki Scene, please forgive my ignorance if I am out of line.

CTiT

H

On 2011-05-14 14:24, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
I may need to be schooled on this, but just what is the importance of Disneyland to the

My parents both worked in Hollywood for the movie studios in the 50s and loved going to Tiki supper clubs & bars

I am aware of the Enchanted Tiki Room & remember seeing it as kid, but wasn't this long after the actual Tiki Scene, please forgive my ignorance if I am out of line.

CTiT

The Enchanted Tiki Room opened in 1963. Of course that has nothing to do with when you saw it as a kid which may very well have been long after the "actual Tiki Scene".

So was "The Enchanted Tiki Room" the introduction to Tiki for most of you?

CTiT

CTiT

The answers yee seek are in the Tiki Bible. Also known as.....

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2011-05-14 16:00 ]

Z

CTiT

There are a few facets of Tiki, or Poly Pop, some of which seem disparate when thrown into the pot. In a coconut shell, Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (and the late Tahitian Terrace) holds a prominent place in the later (1960s) incarnation of Tikidom. Disney also had a unique and popular approach to color and style in the Americana phenom known as Tiki. It was the last major influence on tiki until its resurgence in the 1990s.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-05-14 21:43 ]

On 2011-05-14 14:04, bigtikidude wrote:
My Mom works at Disneyland,
and did some asking around.

She heard its opening on the 23rd.

Not sure if that is in stone.
but just thought I would pass the info.

That is the monday after Tiki Caliente.

Jeff(btd)

I am hearing rumors of Wed. the 25th,
but my Mom says Mon. the 23rd.

I am close enough I will go both nights.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

According to the Orange County Register, it is May 25. But some Disneyland rides and attractions have "soft opening" where a select few are able to get a sneak peak before the true, actual, official, bona fide, legitimate, sanctioned* opening.

• I lost my thresaurus so can't think of any other synonyms

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

Thanks for the info! consider me schooled.

CJ

I wanna go opening night!

I was just over there to take my son to a birthday party at Goofy's Kitchen. One of the ladies at the hotel giftshop next door confirmed it was opening the 25th also. I peered over the partition and couldn't see much of the inside -- a few nice lamps hanging from the ceiling -- but the outside looked great. Can't wait to see it completed and open!

TM

On 2011-05-15 01:38, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Thanks for the info! consider me schooled.

It's not just the tiki, but the whole "exotic" thing for me. Walt not only had those two attractions already mentioned but built a whole entire world for them to be located in. Some of us have "tropical" backyards (really, just collections of ornamental tropical plants not normally found together in real life) but Walt had an entire river with boats cruising on it! Adventureland is like a gateway drug to Tiki!

My love of Tiki and Disney in one place.......
I'm thinking of hitting Pirates 4 at the Downtown Disney AMC and then like a Pirate having some rum drinks at Trader Sam's

MT

I'm thinking the exact same thing. This coming Monday May 23rd! On my way home from Tiki Caliente! Anyone interested? I might possibly hang out down here in SoCal a few extra days as well, to catch the official grand opening of Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's on Wed the 25th.

Coco Loco and I are going to swing by Downtown Disney in just a bit today on our way out to Palm Springs, to check on the progress of the poolside restaurant and bar, and see if by luck it might be open yet. We actually wanted to do an entire Disneyland thing today, but the Pirates of the Caribbean movie doesn't come out until midnight, the new restaurant and bar potentially aren't open yet, and Disneyland itself is only open until 8pm tonight! Even California Adventure is open later tonight! Go figure! lol Oh well, maybe we can make up for it all next week!

All the Disney folks I talked to this weekend said the 25th. I'll be taking that whole day off to spend in the park and enjoy the new cocktails...Anyone else??

On 2011-05-19 12:39, Mai Tai wrote:
Disneyland itself is only open until 8pm tonight!

Must be Grad Night (or some other special event).

Bear

I'll be there for opening night. If anyone wants to do a quick review/critique/etc.. find me and I'll put you on tape. Cheers!

Soccertiki and I were invited to the Cast Member Preview Party today and all I can say is Woohoo! You are all in for a treat. Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar is a magical place , the moment you step through the doors the world of Tiki comes to life. The drinks were tasty and the bar menu has all kinds of yummy choices. We can't wait to go back for The Grand Opening on May 25

MT

Okay, Coco Loco and I did some snooping and sleuthing today, and actually ran into the manager of the Trader Sam's bar, and one of his co-managers of the restaurant. He said that the grand opening is still scheduled for next Wed May 25th, and if all goes according to plan, there could be a soft opening next Tues May 24th. He said that the restaurant and bar and poolside construction were all scheduled to be finished a good month ago, but the bad weather and serious amounts of rain this past winter and spring have thrown a monkey wrench into their schedule. They are working really really right now to make the 25th deadline.

I pressed him a little about if there could be a soft opening as well next Monday, but he didn't think so. I'm still going to double check things on Monday anyways, just to be sure. He also said that they had a test run today (Thurs) for executives and their friends and families, to see how things were coming along, and evidently they had very positive response. They wouldn't let me in for a sneak peak, but from what I could see looking in the windows, things are looking good - kind of reminds me of Trader Vic's Palo Alto, more clean lines, more sparse in bamboo but it's more strategically placed, good use of color. The good news is, one way or another, this place will be open soon!

MT

On 2011-05-19 13:55, Brudda Bear wrote:

On 2011-05-19 12:39, Mai Tai wrote:
Disneyland itself is only open until 8pm tonight!

Must be Grad Night (or some other special event).
Bear

I thought that maybe they might be having a special screening of Pirates of the Caribbean IV, on the Rivers Of America water screens that they use for Fantasmic, like they have done in the past. Nope. Looks like there's not a lot of fanfare for this movie.

But it turns out that yes, it was Grad Night last night.

Also, the new Star Tours ride revamp wasn't up and running yet. Does anyone know when that will be launched, or if they are having a soft opening for it as well?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 184 replies