Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Wanted: Two small tiki figures for mid-century light fixtures

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

Not sure whether this goes here or in Collecting, but here goes...

I picked up an old pole lamp at a thrift store. Standard floor-to-ceiling spring-loaded variety. Unfortunately, it ended up having, shall we say, "shock value" due to some damaged wiring inside. Ouch! I had intended to use it out on the covered patio to illuminate my barbecue area. I ended up removing the lights from the pole, and mounting them directly to a wall, with a switch mounted in the wall as well. They still put out lots of light, and serve their intended purpose.

The fixtures consist of an extruded, translucent off-white plastic tube, square in form. A square ring of wood (looks like teak, probably just stained) runs around the outside about 1/8 of the way up from the bottom. A single upward-facing socket inside holds the bulb. They have a vaguely mid-century look, and are definitely 60s or early 70s vintage. I can post a photo if necessary. The plastic tube is 4 1/2" square, and the area of plastic tube showing above the wood ring is 9". Though my BBQ area isn't really tiki or poly-pop at all, I'd like to find two small, flat-backed tikis I can attach to the fronts of the plastic tubes. I'm hoping to find something that'll fit in the 4 1/2" x 9" front area with plastic showing all the way around, i.e. not as big as the whole surface. And I'd really like the two tikis to not match.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not a carver myself. And I don't have any necessary requirements save that I'd like them to be wood, look like wood, or be brown, even if they're plastic. If they're wood, I can drill two small holes, reach inside with a very short screwdriver I have and put screws into the figures from the back; I may be able to do this with plastic, too, or I may epoxy plastic ones in place. I don't care whether they're custom one-offs, mass-produced pieces, or store-bought, but I have to keep the cost as low as possible. If someone vhere tells me "Go check Big Lots for ___ current item made of plastic that might work", that's great; if you have some small, flat-backed old pieces that you don't want a whole lot for, that's great too (did Witco make any tiny tiki figures about this size with flat backs, or that I can sand flat on a belt sander without angering collectors?) The fixtures look great as they are, and do the intended job of providing extra light when I'm grilling; I just think they'd look twice as cool with tikis on them.

For those who don't want to read this massive text-wall:
I've got two cool light fixtures. I want to find two cool tikis to mount on them. They need to fit on a 9" x 4 1/2" surface with room to spare all around, and have a flat back, and I'd like them to not match. Anyone have anything inexpensive that fits this description?

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2010-05-28 04:45 ]

P

check out this stuff:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12451&forum=7&start=1110&1114

we're working on a line of resins from these sculpts. they'll be light, affordable and probably customizable in color.

there are some other styles available.

T

Thanks! Where can I buy these online when they come out? I'm certain I won't be at Hukilau.

I got these Hawaiian wooden ones for cheap:

The tallest in this picture is just under 9", and the widest is just under 4". Most of them are between 2-2.5" wide.

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 3 replies