Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Kahiki Tour Video

Pages: 1 18 replies

TJ

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kahiki-Tour-DVD-tiki-hawaii-polynesian-/200478170968?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ead6e1f58

Some stills from the video:

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe 2010-06-05 20:10 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe 2010-06-05 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe 2010-06-05 20:12 ]

TJ

bumpity bump

T

The following is an independent public service announcement. I am not selling this DVD. I am a satisfied customer though!

I can't recommend this DVD enough!! Short, but sweet....almost too high fructose corn-syrupy sweet, but sweet nonetheless.

It is the PERFECT showcase of why the world of mid-century tiki has mostly died off and a creepy testament to the contrast of eras.

The kahiki...an apex of 1960s tiki greatness. The taste level of design and decor of the golden age is present. The place is amazing looking. THEN, the neon-polyester, tasteless schmaltz of the late 80s-early 90s blankets the place like a bad case of acne.

If you ever wanted to observe a textbook illustration ('Book of Tiki' being the textbook) of the disconnect of two eras, this DVD is it!

A vintage tiki giant running on auto-pilot, past its prime in an era that doesn't quite know it's elders is very apparent here. It's like watching the great Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit III or Orson Welles stumbling through a Bird's Eye frozen peas commercial...sad yet wholeheartedly fun to witness!

Viewing plastic-poly-clad white people chowing down on greasy rice and frozen bamboo shoots whilst surrounded by Christmas lights, vacu-formed flamingos and yes, a Calypso band comprised of lummoxy mid-Western farm boys is weird enough...but then peeking at the magic of the original kahiki just under the soot...well, let's just say this DVD is worth it.

It's a Clash of the Titans and unfortunately, we all know how it ends.

Do yerself a favor and pick this great visual sodomy while you can.

TJ

Excellent review!
You nailed this video square on the jaw.

When I got the DVD from the original producers of it I asked about raw footage and there was none to be found.
I also asked about the prop moai made for the opening.
But, the prop was taken home by a former employee.

TJ

bump

That sounds great indeed. Joe, I paypalled for one the day you posted it first...still haven't received it yet though.

T

On 2010-06-13 23:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
That sounds great indeed. Joe, I paypalled for one the day you posted it first...still haven't received it yet though.

oh, sven....

you're gonna write a dissertation after you see this one!

No no, you already did, very nicely so! :D

TJ

Sven,

It was sent out 3 or 4 days after your payment 1st class, instead of Media Mail, along with 8 others that made it to their destination.

Please keep me up to date on it's arrival.

Thanks!

Arrived! --What bitter sweet memories! I sat in those booths, and strolled the Quiet Village, on my BOT Photo Safari with Beachbum Berry.
What a loss to mankind....sniff

T

Got my DVD today...sure wish I could've experienced Kahiki first-hand.

Thanks!

TJ

Glad it got there.

Tiki Joe, do you have anymore copies?

TJ

Yes.
I am copying these directly from the master.
So, I can make as many as needed and they are all top quality.

TJ

PM me if you want a copy.
$11.50 - shipping included.

TJ

Bump

TJ

I have more of these available.
Thanks!

On 2010-07-19 18:07, Tiki Joe wrote:
I have more of these available.
Thanks!

Joe, save one for me and bring it to Festiki!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

TJ

You got it!

Pages: 1 18 replies