Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Room, SF - 2nd Wednesday of every month

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 12:05 AM

I am moving this event from this thread

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30385&forum=1&298

Where I had posted this:
let's start an unofficial Tonga Room Tiki night!

I'll start it off easy - one night a month when Tiki Centralites and Tiki fans converge on the Tonga Room wearing your finest Aloha wear and imbibe and take pictures to share with the world

Once we agree on the night of the month and the opening night, I will start a separate thread for this.

Let's also determine goals and wishes for the event

I would like the Tonga Room management to add a sign in book like they have at hotels, gallery exhibits, weddings so that visitors to the Tonga Room can sign in and post their grief over this situation since we are not getting quoted in the paper like Robert Varni.

I would like to see individual nights sponsored by groups or businesses so that every Tiki guest who shows up that night receives something such as a discount coupon or free Tiki Farm swizzle stick (hint Holden!)

I would like people from Tiki Central who may not have met other Tiki Centralites to have one more opportunity to bond with their fellow Tiki fans

I would like my last memories of the Tonga Room to be memories filled with meeting friends there!

I propose the second Wednesday of EVERY month be our Tonga Room day.
Monday is too early in the week, Tuesday is TC night at Smuggler's Cove, Thur/Fri are party nights in SF and it might be crowded and we might not stand out as much, SECOND Wed because I have a FIRST Wed of the month DJ gig at Forbidden Island.

We could kick it off June 9?
July 14, Aug 11, Sep 8, Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 8, Jan 12, etc

All those in favor say "Aye!"

M

Aye

TG

Aye!

T

AYE!

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 4:18 PM

I'm flying on a jet plane tomorrow night, but "AYE" for next month.

Eye

On 2010-06-08 00:05, Otto wrote:
I am moving this event from this thread

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30385&forum=1&298

Where I had posted this:
let's start an unofficial Tonga Room Tiki night!

I'll start it off easy - one night a month when Tiki Centralites and Tiki fans converge on the Tonga Room wearing your finest Aloha wear and imbibe and take pictures to share with the world

Once we agree on the night of the month and the opening night, I will start a separate thread for this.

Let's also determine goals and wishes for the event

I would like the Tonga Room management to add a sign in book like they have at hotels, gallery exhibits, weddings so that visitors to the Tonga Room can sign in and post their grief over this situation since we are not getting quoted in the paper like Robert Varni.

I would like to see individual nights sponsored by groups or businesses so that every Tiki guest who shows up that night receives something such as a discount coupon or free Tiki Farm swizzle stick (hint Holden!)

I would like people from Tiki Central who may not have met other Tiki Centralites to have one more opportunity to bond with their fellow Tiki fans

I would like my last memories of the Tonga Room to be memories filled with meeting friends there!

I propose the second Wednesday of EVERY month be our Tonga Room day.
Monday is too early in the week, Tuesday is TC night at Smuggler's Cove, Thur/Fri are party nights in SF and it might be crowded and we might not stand out as much, SECOND Wed because I have a FIRST Wed of the month DJ gig at Forbidden Island.

We could kick it off June 9?
July 14, Aug 11, Sep 8, Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 8, Jan 12, etc

All those in favor say "Aye!"

Chris VerPlanck from SOS Tonga here. I think that this is a fantastic idea! I don't think I can make it tonight because of two deadlines at work, but I can make the next event.

I also wanted to share an idea with you all regarding a silent demonstration at the Tonga Room. Erica Schultz of SOS Tonga has created some T-shirt designs using vintage Tonga Room postcards that say "Save the Tonga Room" on the front in bamboo font. We have opened a store on Cafe Press to display them. Anyway, the idea is to get everyone to wear one of these t-shirts or any other home made design under your street clothes, Hawaiian shirt, etc. into the Tonga Room. We'll have to do this on the down low - no facebook Save the Tonga because the Fairmont people monitor it. Let everyone know and then everyone converges on an appointed night, occupies all the tables and then at an appointed time, doffs their overgarments to reveal the Save the Tonga Room logo. SOS Tonga can get the press there as well.

Do you want to do this? Thoughts?

SOS Tonga has been working steady on the political/legal side of things ever since our event at Smugglers Cove in March and it would be good to get back on the events side of things. Please see our update on the regular Tonga Room thread for an update on where we are.

TG

great idea. like a Tonga flash Mob! Just imagine if the Tonga actually SOLD their OWN merch - Shirts, mugs, etc - people might actually BUY THEM!

M

In general I'm in for this event... as my schedule permits. Sadly if folks are going today, I no longer can make it. Next time for sure!!!

TG

So is anyone actually going TONITE???? just to clarify.....

H

I'm totally into it! But not tonight for me either, I'm winging my way eastward for Hukilau.

From what I can tell, most of the tikiphiles in SF are not Tiki Central readers, but Otto's mailing list would reach most of them. I'll do what I can to get word out to the tikiphiles I know. James Sime over at Isotope Comics has his own circle of influence with local tikiphiles, too, and I'm sure he'd be waaaay into this. I'll ping him.

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2010 7:10 PM

First Tonga Room night was a sucess if only for the fact that it was great to reconnect with bartender Sihn who has been working at the Fairmont for 33 years! Also met Brian Glazer, professor of oceanography and friend of Max Fedela (more on that later)

I will post photos when I get back from Hukilau

Hi all! Yeah, long time lurker (6yrs) first time poster. At the Tonga room now with a handful of matches from Otto. No one else showed?! Hit Smugglers Cove last night (awesome drinks!), and heading to Forbidden Island tomorrow to round out my SF trifecta before heading out to sea for 3 weeks. Have fun in Fla, everyone, and feel free to drop me a line next time you're in Hawaii--I'm usually up for meeting anyone for drinks at La Mariana.

J

Sorry I couldn't make it last night. My tight beverage budget this week would not allow for the over-priced Tonga Room drinks. I'll try next month.

Did anyone see Martin on the news last night regarding this event?
I only caught the last ten seconds of it.

today's article
http://www.ktvu.com/news/23864905/detail.html

On 2010-06-11 14:40, Unga Bunga wrote:
Did anyone see Martin on the news last night regarding this event?
I only caught the last ten seconds of it.

today's article
http://www.ktvu.com/news/23864905/detail.html

Thanks Thor

On 2010-06-11 01:00, Thortiki wrote:
Another Tonga Room article:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=7488202

Thortiki

I love Martins closing comments. I am proof of the resurgence of Tiki & places where I can escape my life one umbrella drink at a time.

Eric

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-06-13 01:30 ]

What a great idea - aye!

MA

Can't wait for the next one!!! Especially as I work just down the hill. ;>)

Here are some other fine dining concepts from when the Fairmont's was...

O
Otto posted on Sat, Jul 3, 2010 12:10 AM

Sven, sadly all of those are long gone. A few years back Fairmont consolidated all bars into the one lobby bar. they do feature jazz pianists there though.

I need sponsors for future Tonga Room nights. This would be someone to commit to being there for the full 6-8 time slot and donating a gift of any sort to other Tiki Central folks who show up.

Gift can (and should) be a promotional item of your own (swizzlestick, sticker, your art, coupon for discount, samples of your bitters, etc)

Here is my recap from the first Tonga Room night last month

Mark your calendar to meet up with other Tiki fans the second Wed of each month from 6pm to 8pm @ the Tonga Room for Tonga Room Appreciation Night. Aloha wear is requested.

Next Tonga Room appreciation gathering is July 14

At the first Tonga Room Night, June 9
I was pleasantly surprised to see Sihn behind the bar. The first bartender I met who really knew his tropical drinks was Sang but he retired about ten years ago. I later met Sihn who has now been there 33 years! It was good to see him there still.
I had a decent Bora Bora ($7.50 during happy hour). Then I decided to order my favorite drink off the Tonga menu - the Pipeline. Unfortunately it was not a Happy Hour drink and was subject to the newly inflated drink price of $12. Although the mixer part of the drink was premixed, it still tasted good and was not a weak drink.

When I first visited the Tonga Room in the mid 1980s the buffet was free, then it was $3 for a long time, but it seems like they raise the price every year now. Now the buffet is $9.50! Needless to say I did not spring for the buffet. Luckily they served me some nuts to munch on.

for information about what you can do to help save the Tonga Room please contact
Historic Nob Hill director [email protected]

historicnobhill.org

the spring rolls were not bad either

Is anyone going this Wednesday?

I'll be there!
possibly with some co-workers too!

I'm in...

T

On 2010-07-03 00:10, Otto wrote:
Sven, sadly all of those are long gone. A few years back Fairmont consolidated all bars into the one lobby bar.

With one exception. The Cirque Room is still there, but it will probably go with the Tonga Room in the near future, so see it while you can. It's only open for private functions but usually the door is open and you can sneak in for a peek. It was designed by Timothy Pflueger, who designed the Paramount theater in Oakland and the Alameda theater, and it was the first new bar to open in San Francisco when Prohibition ended. The circus-themed murals by Esther Bruton are still there. There are some photos on Flickr, like this one of the beautiful bar:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/srk1941/2227364933/in/pool-pflueger/

Why San Franciscans aren't more upset about losing the Cirque bar I can't understand. It was designed by one of SF's most famous architects/designers, and with the current trend of vintage style cocktail bars one would think this would be a gold mine if they served good cocktails there. I don't think there has been one article in the local media about The Cirque Room being endangered.

See you at the Tonga Room tomorrow night.

T

Here are some great postcards of long-gone Fairmont Hotel bars and restaurants (there was even a beautiful modern Canlis restaurant at one time):

http://www.alamedainfo.com/San_francisco_Hotels_Page_2.htm

I went to the Crown Room with some friends (Mr. Smiley, etc.) on the last week they were open (about 10 years ago?).

I might be able to come out (I'm in town for the week) What time do you guys usually get there and leave by?

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 1:51 AM

Tiki Central Tonga Room night is 6pm - 8pm 2nd Wed of ea month

That's TONIGHT!

I will be there from about 6:30 - 7:30

(gotta work, then gotta catch the last bus)

S

Jungle Jim is in town. Sent him there last night. Maybe tonight as well!

J

I will be there from about 6:30 - 7:30

(gotta work, then gotta catch the last bus)

Otto - I'll be at the Tonga tonight. If you miss that last bus, you can take the "O" with me and I'll give you a ride across town from my place.

MT

We're heading over there right now. Gonna meet up with an out of town friend. See ya there, peeps!

O
Otto posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2010 2:09 AM

It's that time of the month again!!

Second Wednesday Tonga Room Tiki appreciation

6pm - 8pm sharp

All attendees this Wed, Aug 11 will receive a free Tiki Oasis 10 gift

I'M THERE... I ALSO STARTED A THREAD ON COUCHSURFING.

M

yay for being free finally!

TG

I was totally planning on chillin Wednesday but how could I pass up TO schwag? Gotta pop in at least for one drink!!! see you!

J

I'm in.

So CA represent !!

Stop #4 on my Zombie Roadtrip.

O
Otto posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 7:48 AM

Second Wednesday is here again!
Wed, Sep 8
Tonga Room 6pm - 8pm

I might be a little late due to work - just start without me

as promised, I will have Tiki Oasis swag for sale (rings, shag bracelet, earrings, lapel pin)

Otto

J

Bumpity bump bump

O
Otto posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2010 11:50 PM

bummer only a couple people showed up
let's make it bigger and better next time!

O
Otto posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2010 12:53 AM

It's that time of the month again!
Otto becomes tropical storm on mid-Atlantic track

http://www.aolnews.com/story/otto-becomes-tropical-storm-on-mid/1088914?cid=13

If you wondering why everyone is visiting the Tonga Room once a month now read this thread

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30385&forum=1&start=300&hilite=tonga%20room

O
Otto posted on Tue, Oct 12, 2010 12:49 AM

OK, this is really gonna get the crowds flocking to the Tonga Room monthly meet-up!
Wed, Oct 13, 6-8pm Happy Hour

For those of you who are interested and have a little free time on your hands, I will have the full SF Planning Dept report with “comments and responses.” This is a 2 inch thick document including all information about studies and regulations and feedback regarding the fate of the Tonga Room. Let’s peruse it over drinks and egg rolls!

[ Edited by: Otto 2010-10-12 00:50 ]

Hey, I can make it this month! Yeah! See ya there.

J

Breaking news: Mr. Ambassador (Gio Corsi) from Tiki Bar TV will be joining us at The Tonga Room this Wednesday night! Come on down and meet everybody's favorite Russian Spy! Ask him what he does for a living. Trust me, you'll be jealous!

O
Otto posted on Tue, Oct 12, 2010 10:09 PM

On 2010-10-12 17:03, JenTiki wrote:
Breaking news: Mr. Ambassador (Gio Corsi) from Tiki Bar TV will be joining us at The Tonga Room this Wednesday night!

Now we're talkin! I bring the document, you bring the spy!

TK

I'll be there!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Oct 13, 2010 10:16 PM

On 2010-10-12 09:25, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Hey, I can make it this month! Yeah! See ya there.

Brenda
I didn't see you there?
Maybe next month

Yeah, had to drive down to the Bay Area and then cross the bay a couple of times with my folks on Wednesday. By the time evening came around, I was beat. Couldn't face fighting traffic into the City to then have to drive back to Sacto. I'll be down with TikiBob in tow soon. Thinking about making the Brother Cleve dj gig at FI.

TK

It was fun! Good to see TC people there, and I got my portrait clandestinely done by some folks from New Zealand...

I never realized I had so many feathers!
Tiki King

Pages: 1 2 58 replies