Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

MOANA (expo) Museo Nacional de Antropologia (Mexico City)

Pages: 1 11 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 9:32 AM

On 2010-06-07 14:31, Zeta wrote:
MOANA Exhibit

Culturas de las islas del Pacifico
http://moana.cultura-inah.gob.mx/

Postcard

(trade or sell)

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 9:35 AM

Collection Exhibited
Lunes, 03 de Mayo de 2010 20:09

More than half of the pieces exhibited are part of the Oceanic Collection of the National Museum of Cultures (MNC), mostly integrated as a result of an important exchange with Field Museum in Chicago, negotiated by Miguel Covarrubias and the director of INAH, Daniel de la Borbolla, in 1951.

Oceanic items safeguarded at MNC are known as “South Seas Collection” and hold incredible curatorial and anthropological value.

Moana: Cultures of the Pacific Islands displays 150 objects from the National Museum of Cultures halls and warehouse, as well as 124 items part of Field Museum collections. Pieces from the de Young and Peabody Essex Museums are also exhibited.

ZETA EDIT:
This exhibit is probably the best Oceanic art temporary exhibit that I have ever seen. I hope it travels to other cities. It shows art that is not the "typical" oceanic art museum collection pieces. It's a very eclectic selection which makes it incredibly rich and contrasting to understand the anthropological aspect of the objects but also, many of the pieces where printed and published as ART in some of the all time classic Oceanic Art books and eventually became sources of inspiration that transformed into icons for tiki bars and Poly Pop establishments too!

There is a book about it now available. (sans the poly pop part)

P.S.

Open Question for the moderators: Where's the correct place to post a thread like this one(Museum exhibit)? In Tiki Travel, General Tiki or Other Events ?

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-06-08 10:33 ]

I am not a moderator here, but:
Museum exhibitions that are temporary (like art shows) usually get posted under "Tiki Events", since they are limited for a certain time only. What if it IS a traveling exhibit? Still temporary, so "Events". Permanent exhibits in museums usually get posted in "'Locating Tiki", like you did with the Peabody Museum.

How about some pics, from the show and of the book. Can the book be ordered via the museum shop?

H

BigBro's right. Moved to Other Events.

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 8:14 AM

I don't have the pictures with me right now... they are in my other camera...
Bigbro, I am not sure about the book being sold trough the museum store. I guess they do. If anyone is interested, I could buy a copy and ship it to you. You just have to contact:
Zeta's diplomatic bureau and public relationships office for foreign affairs. MEXICAN TIKI EMBASSY http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36739&forum=16&18#fresh
after it's moved back to the Ohana Forum and Ambassador Zeta can get back to work in vital tiki matters like yours, Bigbro.
Meanwhile, All we can do is wait...

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.