Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

On the Eve of the Hukilau, an AMAZING Vinyl Score!

Pages: 1 10 replies

O

My exotica beatnik bongo combo Stolen Idols is playing the Hukilau, and the Gods have smiled upon me by giving me a GREAT haul of Hawaiian records, I have no idea what half of this stuff is, and I'm too beside myself to describe it.

First up is an album on Reprise by the Aliis who are like a Martin Denny combo with Hi-Los/Four Freshmen vocals - this is the most AMAZING ALBUM I HAVE FOUND IN A LONG TIME!!!

I can't type any more.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-06-08 16:35 ]

TM

I can only imagine how cool that must sound! Hawaiian music mixed with "four Freshmen" style vocals (a favorite group of mine!)!

H

On 2010-06-08 16:35, OnyaBirri wrote:
My exotica beatnik bongo combo Stolen Idols is playing the Hukilau, and the Gods have smiled upon me by giving me a GREAT haul of Hawaiian records, I have no idea what half of this stuff is, and I'm too beside myself to describe it.

First up is an album on Reprise by the Aliis who are like a Martin Denny combo with Hi-Los/Four Freshmen vocals - this is the most AMAZING ALBUM I HAVE FOUND IN A LONG TIME!!!

I can't type any more.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-06-08 16:35 ]

If you're not familiar with them already and you like that sort of harmony, you might want to check out The Surfers. Their "Tahiti","The Islands Call" and "The Hawaiian Surfers" albums show up on eBay pretty frequently. Nice stuff, and available on iTunes if you'd rather download.

Congrats on the score!

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2010-06-09 06:40 ]

On 2010-06-08 19:18, lucas vigor wrote:
I can only imagine how cool that must sound! Hawaiian music mixed with "four Freshmen" style vocals (a favorite group of mine!)!

Sounds like something we may have to explore, LV! Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hibiscus, thanks for the info...now I am searching categories OTHER than 'tiki' on ebay! Wocka-wocka!!!

[ Edited by: Vince Martini 2010-06-09 07:10 ]

You might want to track down The Invitations LP on Liberty Records called R.S.V.P.

It's totally like the Hawaiian Four Freshman. It features Clem Low (of Hawaii Five-O fame) too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

H

On 2010-06-09 07:08, Vince Martini wrote:

On 2010-06-08 19:18, lucas vigor wrote:

Sounds like something we may have to explore, LV! Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hibiscus, thanks for the info...now I am searching categories OTHER than 'tiki' on ebay! Wocka-wocka!!!

[ Edited by: Vince Martini 2010-06-09 07:10 ]

I'm happy to help you spend your money, Vince! :wink:

I find some great stuff when I search for music under "exotica" and "Hawaii/Hawaiian".

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2010-06-09 13:11 ]

A

Are you talking about the Aliis as in Don Ho's backup band, as in their album "Hawaii Right Now"?

If so, that's a fantastic record. Their version of Taboo is the most, like! I even like the Flower Drum Song and West Side Story medleys. And their version of Quiet Village with vocals! Just for kicks, I put up a shared mp3 of their West Side Story Medley here if anyone wants to hear it.

Or, if that's not the one you're talking about, then nevermind! Hopefully not this revival incarnation from the 80s.

-Randy

So are we talking a solo band album without the Ho-man? Because I just listened to this beaute (because I loved the shirts):

...and it pretty much sucks. :)

J

Don Ho is like Witco furniture, his iconic signficance overshadows classic artistic standards. :D

K

The Aliis WERE the backup band to Don Ho and they recorded several solo LPs and had their own career here in the islands. Some of their LPs are more "Hawaiian" than others, but they were a great lounge act and even had charted pop hits in Hawaii into the 1980s with "Lady You're My Rainbow","A Love So Right","You Are The Best Of My Life"...kind of Air Supply pop-ish by the 1980s but WAY COOL in the 1960s LPs..:)

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2010-06-11 03:17 ]

And they had a strange but cool Marquesan mug out, unusual because it was glued together from two parts:

Now that typeface they used on some of their albums too. If someone could tell me the date of the first album they used it on, we could estimate the date of that mug. The logo looks very late 70s/80s to me.

I believe they are the only band that had their own mug -- until the Tikiyaki Orchestra, that is :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-06-12 09:19 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies