Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Question about storing Tiki Mugs outside

Pages: 1 7 replies

P

Aloha everybody! I have a somewhat simple question. I have searched to no avail. I live in Sarasota, Fl and I know that we don't get the freeze/thaw cycles some states do, but I was thinking about storing my Tiki mugs on a shelf outside on my lanai and I didn't know if this would pose a threat to the mugs or not. I am currently in the slow process of converting my lanai to a tiki lounge/ tiki bar(possibly) area. I would like to store them outside, where they will be out of the sunlight mostly, but still be exposed to the heat and humidity. Will this be a problem? Thanks for the help!

In my 'hood I'd be more worried about hobos walking off with anything I stored outside than heat (or cold) and humidity.

But seriously, I'd say anything vintage or valuable shouldn't be outside. If it's easy to replace then go ahead. New ceramic mugs should be able to handle the elements if they're sheltered from direct sunlight.

Z

Avoid putting the wooden monkeypod or bamboo items outside, though. Swelling will occur.

J

This may not be an issue in your area, but other members of TC have had problems with raccoons and/or cats knocking things off shelves outdoors. That would be my biggest worry.

I didn't really think about the theft issue. I live in a pretty safe neigborhood, and I don't really know if anyone could see them unless they walked through my yard and looked over the fence and through the screen onto the lanai though. The closest road is probably 20 yards from where the mugs would be. I don't think cats or racoons would be an issue, as my whole lanai is screened in and there's usually not even bugs inside it. I have to mill it over though, because I don't know where else I will keep my mugs. I would hate to see them couped up inside some cupboard though!

[ Edited by: pennjones 2010-06-11 12:57 ]

T

I'm planning on doing the same thing if I ever get the tiki shelf built (and finish the wall it'll be on) for my tiki patio. I'm keeping them out of the light and dry, but beyond that they'll be exposed to the changing seasons. Freeze/ thaw isn't typically an issue with ceramics (or any other material) unless they absorb water in some way and THEN freeze. That's when you get spalling/ cracking/ failure. If you keep them in a dry area they should be fine. Personally I have "good" mugs and cheapo mugs, the cheapo ones are for outdoor display.

T
TikiB posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2012 7:36 PM

I am on the opposite coast to you in Florida and I store my Tiki mugs in the Florida Room. In the summer during the day it can be a 110-120 degrees in the room. The Florida room is cut off from the rest of the house and the ceiling has no insulation. The room is dry and the mugs are not in direct sunlight. I am always concerned though I might be aging my mugs at a faster speed. Then again in the restaurant they are cleaned in much hotter water and cooled quickly.

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2012 7:39 AM

PJones,

I live on the space coast of FL and have a Tiki Hut (McTikis) outside that has had Tiki mugs, plates, ashtrays swizzles, and the like for over 7 yrs now. Not one issue, unless you count the stray BB that ruined a MunkTiki favorite of mine, but, my teenaged sons deny any knowledge of where the BB came from.

Mugs of significant value are locked up inside...always!

Aside from that, it's been good.

Mahalo and good luck!

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2012-01-06 07:43 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies