Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Going to the Mai Kai!! Need Advice

Pages: 1 17 replies

I am really psyched! The Mrs & I are going to the Mai Kai during our Florida vacation. It's the first time I've been to the Mai Kai since I was 9 years old. We are going on a Saturday night, and we want to have dinner, see the floor show, and most importantly of all: WE WANT TO DRINK THE BEST COCKTAILS!!!

I understand that there are several different dining rooms and bars at the Mai Kai. Can some Mai Kai veterans chime in with some advice on what room we should make reservations at? Also, after dinner we will likely move to the bar-which is the best bar to drink at? For that matter, can you eat at the (good cocktail) bar and still see the show?

Mahalo,

Tiki Craig

P

You can't eat at the bar and see the show. The bar is the Molokai Bar and it's on your left as you walk in the door. The dining room for the Polynesian Revue is straight ahead as you come in the door.

Ask to sit in Tonga, center, front row. You'll be slightly above the main floor with no obstructions. This is where we sat last year for The Hukilau and it was awesome. Best seats in the house, afaiac.

Get there at 5 for happy hour and you get 1/2 price appetizers and drinks in the Molokai Bar.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-10-19 13:24 ]

Thanks for the great replies guys! We aren't going until September, but I want to call and make reservations this week.

T

x 2 on the Jet Pilot

T

Order a Black Magic !

6 weeks from tonight the Mrs & I will be at the Mai Kai!

Craig,

Much discussion of the Mai-Kai drinks can be found here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29713&forum=1&start=0

You can't go wrong with anything from the "strong" side of the menu, just be careful and don't over-do it. You'll want to savor every moment you're there.

Mahalo!

I completely concur with every word of Chip's advice.
And I too will add the warning NOT to disrespect the tiki drink.
Doing too many too fast is the only way I can think that your evening could be imperfect at the Mai Kai.

Be warned: it is not an inexpensive evening. Valet parking, $25 for the dinner show (but not the dinner), no cheap drinks, etc. And if you collect, you will go nuts in the gift shop, making your evening even more costly! But you will not regret one cent. It is worth foregoing some little luxuries elsewhere in order to do it all on a night at the Mai Kai. But getting there for the HH half-price drinks is one way to keep your costs down a wee bit.

Oh - have a dollar ready to tip the restroom attendant. This is lovely old-school, all the way.

And now I'm wishing I were there......
Damnit.....

On 2010-08-20 21:20, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

Math is hard...... if I am counting correctly that is the first week of October?

Would you like to make your trip to the Mai Kai a quiet date night with you and yours?

Or would you prefer I sound the drums and stir up the locals and make it party?

Another tip from a local: It's possible to get a $15 discount on dinner through this Web site ...

http://www.southfloridadines.com/view_rest.asp?source=search&view_id=775

You just need to pay in advance.

On 2010-08-22 13:01, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-08-20 21:20, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

Math is hard...... if I am counting correctly that is the first week of October?

Would you like to make your trip to the Mai Kai a quiet date night with you and yours?

Or would you prefer I sound the drums and stir up the locals and make it party?

That's a very kind (and VERY tempting!) offer, but it's my wife's Birthday and I know that she'll want ot to be date night style.

Cheers,

Craig

On 2010-08-24 21:44, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

... it's my wife's Birthday and I know that she'll want ot to be date night style.

Cheers,

Craig

Date Night it is! The two of you all giggly and smiling at each other over cocktails and dinner. The Mai Kai will make for a romantic evening and if you play your cards just right you might get lucky when you get back to the hotel (wink wink, nudge nudge).

When you call to make your reservations, if you tell them it is for a birthday they'll include her in the announcements during the show. Its wonderfully cheesy and strangely romantic at the same time.

G

There's nothing that tops the first time you walk into the Mai-Kai...

Have fun Craig. Everything Chip said was spot on (although my personal favorite spot to watch the show is from New Guinea at a table along the hand rail, but that's not necessarily the best photo angle). The only thing I can add is to pay attention to and appreciate the details. The shrunken head in Samoa, the cannibals in Tonga, the spears guarding the chinese oven windows (with much thanks to Will for their restoration). Notice the little things and you'll see how amazing the place is.

1 day until our pilgrimage to the Mai Kai! We are stopping into the Wreck Bar while we're in Ft Lauderdale as well. We're going to do both Saturday & Sunday night at the Mai Kai. Can't wait!

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2010-10-01 10:27 ]

M

I'll also be making my first trip to the Mai Kai this week and this thread was very helpful. Thanks, everyone!

On 2010-10-05 17:28, MauiRose wrote:
I'll also be making my first trip to the Mai Kai this week and this thread was very helpful. Thanks, everyone!

get lost! (it's easy)

T

I'm planning (way ahead, I know) on being at the Mai Kai in mid-January- 13th-15th thereabouts. If any TC-ers are around then, let me know!

Pages: 1 17 replies