Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The $30 limit

Pages: 1 6 replies

A while back, a whole bunch of us realised that we might go up to $30 when buying a mug - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1280&forum=1 - but in these days of sudden mug price inflation, does the $30 limit still apply?

Trader Woody

For me it does. I can't rationalize spending more than $30 on something that won't help me make money. Three grand on a new computer makes sense for me but $150 on a Trader Vic's mug doesn't.

Just me. In actuality, I have spent a bunch on carvings though. Screw that 'tikisintexas' guy too, I can't keep up with him.

T

By now, there's probably quite a few of us that have accumulated an impressive mug collection. It makes it hard to add to our collections, especially since anything vaguely Tiki is a hot commodity right now. We either have to continue on many fruitless searches of thrift stores & flea markets, hoping to come across that rare find, or resort to online auctions and hyped up dealer prices.

Since thrift store prowling hasn't been too successful for me lately, I've ventured into collecting in other areas of Polynesian Pop... LPs, idols, aloha shirts, etc.

Another route to take is collecting the contemporary mugs, but that often would exceed the $30 limit. Some of these mugs are really worth it though. Munktiki, for example. I consider their mugs works of art.

I still look for mug bargains, and very rarely like to pay more than $30 to a dealer for some of the more rare mugs. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for a small handful of the rare mugs out there, but there is no way I can compete with people on ebay like that Dan guy, or the dude from Texas.

So, generally speaking, I still hold to the $30 limit, unless it is something I just gotta have, then its all up to what my budget will allow!

:tiki:

I would have to agree. $30.00 seems to be the benchmark for me as well.

M

Well, ahem, there were certainly a lot of bargains to be had at certain Ebay auctions from a well-known and much loved Tiki Centralite. Why, there still are some nice deals available. Tiki mugs, collectibles, animal husbandry memorabilia.

Just about everything was had for less than this $30 limit. Some lucky bidder got a Steve Crane Kon-Tiki Ports for $19. Nineteen dollars? No way!

Cough cough...where was everybody, eh?...cough, hack...cough.

Dogs and Cats, Living Together!

J
JTD posted on Sun, May 11, 2003 9:35 AM

Midnite,
I just did my part, but was outbid (as usual). Good luck.

• JTD
M

JTD,

Appreciate the bid. I may have one more of that mug for the next auction set. Keep an eye out. Things not going for as much as they were a few months ago, good for our purchases, not so good for a sales.

midnite

Pages: 1 6 replies