Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Stellar Reviews and Radio for The WAITIKI 7's "New Sounds of Exotica"

Pages: 1 5 replies

Aloha!

New Sounds of Exotica, the follow-up to The WAITIKI 7's critically- and popularly-acclaimed debut Adventures in Paradise is now available online. Featuring stunning versions of our favorite Les Baxter, Martin Denny, and Don Tiki tunes—as well as originals from the WAITIKI book.

**The critics say... **
“Supra-chilled, as exotica should be.” — Chris May, All About Jazz
“Serious and competent acolytes of exotica.” — Honolulu Star-Bulletin
“The arrangements are fresh … infused with the feel of contemporary jazz.” — Express Milwaukee
“Four Stars” — Audiophile Audition

Read the whole reviews at: http://waitiki7.com/category/nse/

**And on the radio... **
On the JazzWeek World Chart, we are debuting @ #22 and are TIED FOR #1 “MOST ADDED” album. On the CMJ charts, we are #2 “MOST ADDED” for their Jazz chart and #3 “MOST ADDED” for their World chart.

New Sounds of Exotica was just released last Monday, so if you haven’t heard it yet, keep your ears out for us on the airwaves!

BUY ONLINE at: http://WAITIKI.com/Shop

Also available online at iTunes, Rhapsody, eMusic, Napster, CDFreedom, etc...

Congrats on the new album!

I heard "Tiki" and loved it. I have to listen to the whole album now.

And I'm STILL grooving to the previous album, which I enthusiastically wrote about here last year.

Great seeing you again Randy!

Thanks Drew! Yeah, and "Tiki" is probably the most jazz-forward tune on the album. My personal favorites for super exotica are "When First I Love" and "Similau"... if anyone else on TC has the album, feel free to chime in about it.

H

I heard your interview and "Tiki" track on Cocktail Nation - sounds awesome! That percussion is KILLER! Will you guys be bringing some CDs to Ohana?

The Waitiki 7, New Sounds of Exotica, Pass Out Records, POR 7002

"New Sounds of Exotica" is a deluxe packaging exotic tour-de-force. This is Waitiki 7's second release and follow up to last year's award winning "Adventures in Paradise." The Waitiki 7 continue to dig up exotic treasures from the past, pay homage to the masters, and still leave room for improvisation. Tim Mayer's flute is absolutely stunning on Flower Humming and the group seriously has fun turning Bali Hai into a Latin free for all. The CD is housed in a deluxe foldout digi-pack with extensive liner notes and two original drink recipes by Randy Wong. Highly Recommended!

Jeff Chenault

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2010-07-02 08:08 ]

T

Yes, another exotica milestone from the Waitiki 7. Thank you!

Jeff, since you mentioned Flower Humming, I just had to throw in how cool I think the bass is too.

And lots of great Lopaka bird calls!

-Jack

Pages: 1 5 replies