Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

This Old Tiki

Pages: 1 6 replies

B

I can't afford to have the This Old House crew come see me on Hawaii so I thought I'd consult with you carvers/woodworkers here. I was lucky enough to have rescued some tikis from the Hawaiian Hut, but the day before shipping they dropped one of them and now I have a decapitated tiki. He is old and in need of some real TLC. I want to refinish him too, but first I gotta get his head on right. I will attach photos to show you what the break is like. I really want to restore him the right way; I am sure with antiques like this there is a right and a wrong way to do the repair. I thought of drilling both body and head & reinforcing with a rod/dowel but to do it free hand scares me a little; I'm afraid he'd end up looking at me all half cocked while I mix drinks. I really would love some good advice as I want a long-term solution. Mahalo for any information!

Honestly I'm not an expert but that's an ugly break. He's nice, shame it broke.

Drilling cleanly is probably next to impossible.

Probably the best alignment would just happen with what's there. I say pour a gallon of wood glue on both sides and stick it back together best you can. Then treat him nice.

Drill two holes and insert dowels (loosely to accomodate positioning) - then spread a gallon of glue!

B

What Aloha said works for me!

B

Well If I were you all I'd buy stock in wood glue now....LOL Mahalo for the advice it really means a lot that you chimed in and led me in the right direction.

That would be an ugly break if it were your femur. But in wood, it gives lots of interlocking knooks and crannies - lots of surface area for the glue to adhere.

Oh No...
I really dont think there is any way to save this Guy...
I would be happy to save you the grief and heartache...
Send him to me at once and I'll discard him for you!!

Actually I believe there is definately enough texture and surface area to glue him without any dowels.
It will align itself nicely the way it is.
I would use West Systems Epoxy to glue it back together!!
I make didgeridoos and epoxy them together...they will last forever!!
The glue joint will be stronger than any other part of it.

Pages: 1 6 replies