Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

3rd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up Aug. 7th, 8/7/10

Pages: 1 41 replies

K

Aloha Texas Tikiphiles! Please save the date, August 7,2010 for the 3rd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up at the Enchanted Lagoon in Austin again. Music, cocktails and aloha shirts and bikinis rocking by torchlight. Watch this space for further info in the next few days.

To check out pics from last year-
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32401&forum=4

K

I'm in!

Koitiki, an Arkie might come and crash the party...if that is alright with the Lonestar Ku!

K

On 2010-06-23 17:40, Vince Martini wrote:
Koitiki, an Arkie might come and crash the party...if that is alright with the Lonestar Ku!

Heck yeah it's alright Vince!

On 2010-06-23 19:34, Koitiki wrote:

On 2010-06-23 17:40, Vince Martini wrote:

Heck yeah it's alright Vince!

COOL! The only thing that might preempt my participation is a possible band gig that weekend. I am keeping my fangers crossed!!!

I'll try to get Reverb1964 (TimMo -- lead guitarist of the Reverburritos, and former Austinite) to join me on the trip.

What will be on the agenda...other than drinking lots of rum?

[ Edited by: Vince Martini 2010-06-23 20:43 ]

K

Final tweaking of schedule right now before a more formal announcement is made in the next few days, but I think it's safe to say that there will be some rum drinking, musical entertainment, dancing, hula hooping, dipping in the pool, conversation in the tiki room, raffle prizes, and more rum drinking of course. Stayed tuned for further details!

On 2010-06-25 21:35, Koitiki wrote:

Final tweaking of schedule right now before a more formal announcement is made in the next few days, but I think it's safe to say that there will be some rum drinking, musical entertainment, dancing, hula hooping, dipping in the pool, conversation in the tiki room, raffle prizes, and more rum drinking of course. Stayed tuned for further details!

I can't wait, Koitiki!!!

Yay! Super ready for a tiki event :)

K

On a coconut island, or enchanted lagoon in the Texas Hill Country, come be a castaway with us!

The 3rd annual Texas Tiki Round-up starts at 7pm on August 7th at my place in Austin, aka the Enchanted Lagoon. Expect all the rum-infused fun from past years along with tropical tunes. In order of appearance:

DJ Tropicana Joe, Music from the Islands

Some of you may recognize him as Paolo from I Belli Di Waikiki, the Italian Rock n Roll Hula Style band that has played Hukilau

Combo Mahalo, Austin's Audio Ambassadors of Aloha

This year the boys are joined by the lovely and lovely-voiced Miss Lauren Marie

Los Super Avengers, Energy-fueled, Retrofitted Instrumental Surf Rock

Get ready to dance!

We'll have some killer raffle prizes again this year, including some original art by Crash and a few interesting items which may have come from a certain Texas tiki establishment that just closed their doors earlier this year.

Crash is also bringing some of her tiki jewelry, t-shirts and other artwork. We have space for a few vendors if anyone else wants to set up a table. Just let me know ahead of time.

Like last year, if you want to bring a food or drink item to share that would be awesome, but is not required. To help cover some of the costs of the bands, we are asking for a donation of $10/person. Thank you in advance for this. We cover the expenses for this party out of our pockets and don't make a profit. Paypal is set up if you don't want to think about it that night. Just log into your Paypal account, select Send Money and enter this email: [email protected]. This isn't my regular email, so post or PM me with any questions.

I can't wait to see everyone!

K
Kenike posted on Sat, Jul 3, 2010 9:09 AM

Let's see here...

2 bands, a DJ, all the rum you can drink, plus a chance to win some cool stuff...

for ten bucks??

BTW the raffle items this year are going to be the best yet.

MAHALO to Julie & Dane for hosting this event!

My roots are in Texas. I would go if I could, but I'm way over in Cali. Have fun, I know you will.
Jungle Trader Vic

B

Michelle and I are in, and I think my sister and brother-in-law are in too. We can't wait. Last year was a blast!

GK

Should be a blast -- looking forward to it!

GK

I've been looking forward to this since last year's!!

Can't wait! :) :) :)

K

Yay to all the ohana that have responded. I'm getting excited already! This year we're building even more tiki accouterments for the yard - upping the Tipsy factor!

Wonder what it would cost to get these guys to perform?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTU7nahUw20&feature=related

If nothing else we should at least find a monkey that can throw coconuts...

R

We will be there! Suzanne and Dan from Allen, and Chris and Shawna from San Antonio.

K

Mahalo for the donations that have come in to Paypal!

More party info:

I'm excited to say that Limbo Lizard's son, Ryan will be sharing his mesmerizing fire poi performance with us once again!

The 4 closest hotels options for those coming in from out of town:

La Quinta Inn Mopac Southwest
4424 S. Mopac Expressway
512/899-3000
around $99+tax

Heart of Texas Motel
5303 Hwy 290 W
512/892-0644
around $60 +tax

Extended Stay America
5100 Hwy 290 W
512/892-4272
around $70+tax

Holiday Inn Express
4892 Hwy 290 W
888/890-0242
around $117+tax

Food and drink selections are underway. Returning faves: Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers, HulaCat's Spring Rolls. Painkillers and Blood of the Kapu Tiki. More to come... Please be sure to RSVP so I'll know how much to make!

D

Aloha all!

Absolutely, Menehune, Hulacat and I will be there, .....wouldn't miss it. In fact, it's all Menehune is talking about, "she can't wait!"

I'll try to post a few pics from last year.

Dobrolic

D

I just looked back, I didn't take many pictures last year (2009), and they didn't come out looking so good; too busy having fun, drinking, eating, in the pool ....... But, I did take a couple pics of the food that came out, here are three:

Beware the Tiki!

Tropical Eats!

This isn't the main bar, just one of two "mixing stations" in the kitchen, the BIG BAR was outside where the main drink action took place.

[ Edited by: Dobrolic 2010-07-25 08:45 ]

K

Mahalo for the RSVP's so far! Making my Spec's shopping list right now, so make sure you're included in the headcount if you're coming and haven't RSVP'd yet.

Some more pics from past gatherings:

Aloha!
and birthday greetings to Formikahini!

Is anyone coming from Central Austin? I'm looking to catch a ride.

K

Yes! Less than a week away! Preparations are coming along swimmingly. New menu items being added inc. coconut cupcakes and drinks Kahiki Fire and Martin Cate's Top Notch Volcano. If you are bringing something to share, don't feel like you have to serve everyone. Looks like we are expecting about the same number as last year.

I will post my address on Friday, or PM me. I am near the intersection of Hwy 45 South and FM 1826.

Don't forget your swimsuit and some pocket change if you think you might find something you'd like to buy from one of the possible vendors. I know Formikahini is bringing some of her treasures and there are rumors of possible tiki art pieces, aloha shirts, tiki dresses and hula hoop offerings.

And PLEASE rsvp if you haven't done it already. Save me the humiliation of running out of drinks!

Mahalo! Koi

Koitiki:

You guys have a tremendous time down in Austin town. I am sorry that I can't make it to the big soirée, but work has intervened...in a big way! So, I am now adding your event to my bucket list. See you next year? I hope so!

Mahalo and Aloha!!!

K

Only 26 hours til tiki time! Looks like it's going to be a great crowd!

[ Edited by: Koitiki 2010-08-11 12:51 ]

I'm bringin hula hoops for play and for sale! Koitiki can we bring the fire hoop??? ...I thought that's what you'd say!

K

On 2010-08-07 00:34, cedarhoops wrote:
Koitiki can we bring the fire hoop??? ...I thought that's what you'd say!

Lawe mai i ke ahi!
Bring on the fire!

Up to about 100 RSVP's folks. Will be great to see everyone.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2010 10:07 AM

GROG wish GROG could come. Ya'll have fun.

D

Come on Grog ..... we drink grog!

Wow that was awesome fun! Thanks so much Julie!

D

What a great luau, thanks so much to Koitiki Julie & Dane, our fabulous hosts.

Cedar, you all were great, and added such cool hula-hooping vibe and action to the party. It wouldn't have been the same without you all there.

Dobrolic aka: Ted Smouse

:up: The Portal to Paradise :up:

:up: The Gatekeeper :up:

:up: The Enchanted Lagoon weaves it's spell :up:

:up: Formikahini's Tiki Emporium :up:

:up: The Hooch Hut :up:

:up: Hoop, There It Is! :up:

:up: Combo Mahalo :up:

:up: Los Super Avengers :up:

:up: Striped shirt (not Aloha?), 'peace' sign (not 'shaka'?), and Miller Lite in a can (not a Painkiller?). Clearly immune to peer pressure.

K

Coconut chicken skewers!

Raffle table

Don't let this person into any more events. She's a theif!

Before the crowds arrived...

Koitiki's A frame

The tiki room is looking awesome

More coming soon...

Wow!!! Looks like Paradise indoors and out!!!!!

I gotta come visit!

K

Formica does some vending...

Combo Mahalo

Paolo spins the tunes

K

On 2010-08-11 08:30, Kenike wrote:

Don't let this person into any more events. She's a theif!

It is certainly an interesting thief that brings more than she takes. :wink:

Thanks for all the raffle prizes Formikahini - and you too Kenike!

K

Mahalo to everyone for coming out and many extra mahalos to Kenike, Formikahini, Hulacat, Dobrolic, Paolo and Crash for all their help! We couldn't have pulled it off without you.

I had a great time and hope everyone else did too. Thank you for the thoughtful host and hostess gifts. You know who you are!

I do have quite a collection of lost and found. With the exception of one piece of photo equipment, I've put everything in a box on the front porch. Feel free to stop by anytime to pick up your stuff.

If any of you out-of-towners are ever passing through Austin, give a shout. We're always up for company in the tiki room. Locals, we may have a small tiki gathering around the 19-21st of this month to welcome a visiting out-of-state tikiphile. Watch your Texas Tiki email or PM me if interested in joining.

Aloha til next time!

R

Pics pics and more pics

Texas Tiki Girl and KoiTiki

Rumbuddy in the TikiRoom

Sea Turtle

Looooove the pufferfish lights

KoiFishi

hula guys

hula girl

R

More snapshots

K

Thanks for sharing the pics. Looked like a lotta fun.

K

Another big thank you to Crash for the original art door prizes!
http://www.cindyraschke.com

And to all the entertainers!

Combo Mahalo
http://www.myspace.com/combomahalo

DJ Tropicana Joe
http://www.myspace.com/tropicanajoe

Los Super Avengers
http://www.myspace.com/lossuperavengers

Don't miss these upcoming gigs:

August 28th 9pm - Cowtown Hoedown with Combo Mahalo and Tropicana Joe
Basement Bar, 105 W. Exchange Ave. in Fort Worth
More info: http://www.facebook.com/thecowtownhoedown

August 29th 9pm - Combo Mahalo
Eastside Showroom in Austin

September 4th 6:30pm - Combo Mahalo
Central Market Westgate in Austin

Aloha!
Koitiki
(I've still got a nice piece of photo/video equipment if you want to claim it!)

Pages: 1 41 replies