Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Hukilau Drink @ The Mai Kai

Pages: 1 6 replies

H

I'm fresh back from my first Hukilau (what a fantastic event...Mahalo to Tiki Kiliki!)

The Mai Kai was all that it was hyped up to be (although I'd love to spend more time at the Molokai Bar when it wasn't wall to wall people).

My favorite drink was, by far, the Hukilau.

Does anyone know if the recipe has been published anywhere? I've already consulted Mr. Berry's books to no avail.

Thanks!
Hearn

S

As I understand, it is a tweaked version of another drink. Not sure which one off hand. I have never tried The Hukilau oddly enough.

T

Hearn, Saturday night was very busy at the molokai, friday night not so much, try thusday or fri next year. yea shoulda tried the hukilu drink a , i had the 7 tiki mai tai , among others... it was great sat even with all the people...

Ken

P

I had the Seven Tiki Jet Pilot last night. Yummy. Have to decide what I'm having tonight...

H
Hearn posted on Wed, Jun 23, 2010 6:40 AM

Definitely going to try and make it to Mai Kai on Thurs/Fri next time around....

Hearn,

The Hukilau is one-third of the Mai-Kai's holy trinity of coffee-laced, over-sized strong drinks along with The Mutiny (photo below) and Black Magic. Each has its own distinct flavor but they're very similar. If you like The Hukilau I'm sure you'll like the others as well.

Recipes for the above three drinks, like most of those at the Mai-Kai, are closely guarded secrets. I don't know of any of them being published. However, Jeff Berry has graciously created a nice tribute to The Mutiny called "Kiliki Cooler" that was published in the 2010 Hukilau program as well as his latest book, "Beachbum Berry Remixed."

You might also want to check out this ongoing thread on our favorite Mai-Kai drinks:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29713&forum=1

Just in time for this year's Hukilau event, here's a tribute recipe that closely approximates The Hukilau drink:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-hukilau-is-worthy-of-its-famous-company/

Pages: 1 6 replies