Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

VW BUS 74 tiki-fied with help from Lake and ChipandAndy

Pages: 1 16 replies

So this stuff is on Facebook but I figured I'd share with Non facebook people (I understand - I just joined)
SO its a 1974 VW bus the original color was Bali Yellow someone painted it White with bad paint so we brought it back to close to original. It was delivered to New york in the 73 year and traveled the country spending time in California - We know this because it and a ton of SMOG equipment on it when I reclaimed it in the state of New York. So theres a bit of history - heres some pics -

Panels Carved By Lake Tiki and Curtains by Chipandandy (or andy/fasionista)

Its not yet done as of this post but hoping to get it together mid July 2010- I'll update as I get more shots of it..feel free to jump in and let me know thoughts and ideas! Freddie balls is working on a tiki shifter for me should be fun!

S

that is looking great......would love to see it when it is finished!

Wow, the worked wood panels are a really nice touch. Cool paint color and I dig the curtain fabric too. (Plays nicely off the paint.) This is gonna be really swell.

C

Now THAT is just SO COOL!!!!

Too bad it's not quite done, as it would be great for you to join us at Ohana in Lake George, NY & arrive in your sweet VW bus!

that is very well done! congrats!

was hoping for the Ohana scene when we started in Feb - but its a no go. Sadly as Lake and Andy will be there and I won't!
Anyway, thanks vfor the feed back and anyone else feel free to jump in - I'll update pics as I get more.
For now the "original" plaid will stay. But maybe someday it will change to a "different" color. I'm gonna have dogs in there so I'll let them mess up the 30+ year old stuff first!

Fun stuff -
Mahalo

W

It'd be easy to do a quickie recover on the back seat/cushions with some cheap yard goods or bed sheets. On the front seats you could use a classic (and classy!) summer vehicle treatment: T-shirts. Maybe some of these are still available.

Excellent Project! Love those VW's. Sweet panels.

Yeah, the panels look great. Very nice right from the start.

TK

man. i am jealous i think.

T

very very nice!!! like the door panels tiki bad

B
Bau posted on Wed, Aug 4, 2010 7:25 AM

that is one rad ride! are you going to add any artwork to the exterior or just keep it yellow?

Nice Westie! I had my doubts at first but it came out very well without ruining a classic bus!

a few more almost done.. No adding art to the outside its gonna stay yellow. I may do a Polynesian Tiki toes / auto lei on the white poptop front and back and a few stickers on glass area.

Mahalo for the complements

tiki under the table- LAKE TIKI

aloha print on interior of door - LAKE TIKI

fashiontramp curtains

I have silver/VW cleaned up hubcaps to cover the wheels/ all white rims

T

BBBEEEAAAAUUUUTTTTIIIIIIFFFUUULLLLLL!!!!!

Great job so far guys.I would lose the plaid on the seat cushions and go with a
nice fabric to compliment the drapes.

surf - I agree on the seats but 2 reasons to hold off

1. They still are decent no rips and washable
  2. I'm gonna use thing to camp in with big dogs so I'm gonna wait and mess up the originals and then plan to replace with a tan or beige or ? not sure yet.

mahalo for compliments

Pages: 1 16 replies