Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Plaster Tiki Wall Hangings!

Pages: 1 7 replies

For my daughter's 10th birthday party, she wanted a tiki theme ( made her ol' man real proud!) Well, we had a great time with King Kukulele music and tik related projects and here is one of them! I made a new mold from my Wincer candle and made some plaster casts that the kids painted and took home! It was fun to see their interpretations and it got me to thinking that I should offer them up, especially for the long summer months when kids traditionally get super bored! I also thought it would be a fun thing at adult parties too and I'd really like to see some of these guys painted after a few zombies have been imbibed! I have them for sale on my paypal site on my website. I guarantee you won't find these in stores!(Is that a good thing?!?)

http://www.thetackytiki.com

DZ

I used make dozens of plaster tikis for folks to paint at my 'Summer Spectacular' parties years ago. Lots of arts & crafts fun, and yes, lots of drunken creativity! I know a few folks still have theirs.

Any that were left behind I hung on the walls of my garage and when I moved, I simply left them there. A couple years later, someone put them all up on eBay and included any names that were on the back as 'featured artists'! (Yes, they sold, apparently...)

Right on Doctor Z! That's a classic tale! You just never know what will happen to the stuff you create and that's part of the fun! Would love to see some of those!

T

AWESOME!!!!!!

I had my students mix plaster in a small paper cup and let it harden... then just using a butter knife, spoon, pencil, and some clay tools, they carved tikis. Some were pretty darn good, but I did give them ample resource material!

I love your idea! I experimented a little and found that you can mix in paper pulp while mixing plaster and the plaster is much stronger, and won't chip as easily if dropped. You can buy a big bag of paper pulp at Home Depot, its used for attic insulation and its recycled newspaper. Or you can just wet some newspaper, and blender it, but the wife's really don't like that idea.

Also, one of my students mixed two acrylic paint colors while the plaster was still wet, and he got a cool swirl effect when it hardened. Plus, when its dropped and chips, a color shows through, not white. I guess you could just mix in one color too!

Good luck! BTW... when you coming over?

very cool! i'll bet your daughter has her own booth in artist's alley at tiki oasis in about 10 years.

Tony- I love the idea of swirling in the acrylic paint! Very cool idea! I'll get up to your shack when I figure out how to get my ass unstuck from my seat!

kingstiedye! - Classic! I hope they end up doing better than myself!

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Jul 3, 2010 9:12 PM

cool! i bet you can find those wire hangers in bulk online.

either that or make them yourself out of bailing wire.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2010-07-03 21:13 ]

DZ

I just used paper clips.

Pages: 1 7 replies