Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

CD Find: Instrumental Favorites: Exotic Moods

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hello, all! I just wanted to share with you a CD find that you may be interested in that seems to be rather under the radar. It's called Instrumental Favorites: Exotic Moods and is a product of Time Life. The track listing is as follows:

R986-19 (Cema Special Markets S21-18996) - Instrumental Favorites: Exotic Moods - Various Artists [1996] Quiet Village - Martin Denny/Taboo - Ferrante & Teicher/Sophisticated Savage - Les Baxter/Let's Go Away for Awhile - Beach Boys/The Enchanted Sea - The Islanders/Pearly Shells - Billy Vaughn/Evening on Tokyo's Sumida - Norrie Paramor/Old Devil Moon - Robert Maxwell/Beyond the Reef - Jo Ann Castle/Trade Winds - Earl Grant/Pagan Love Song - Hugo Winterhalter/Jungle Drums - David Carroll/Yellow Bird - Arthur Lyman/My Tane - Martin Denny/Maracaibo - Les Baxter/Shish-Kebab - Ralph Marterie/Spell of Deatra - Richard Hayman/Lotus Land - Andre Kostelanetz/African Echoes - Ferrante & Teicher/Tangi Tahiti - Nelson Riddle/Land Of Dreams - Lawrence Welk/Song of the Islands - Los Indios Tabajaras/I Wished on the Moon - Jackie Gleason/Sunrise Over Sumatra - Enoch Light. Cover art here: http://www.bsnpubs.com/warner/time-life/28instrumentalfavorites/r986-19.jpg

It's not a bad little collection. Apparently the folks at Amoeba Records where I purchased it knew what it was and charged me $14.9 for it, but it was worth it!

T

That CD is just one of many from a series with selections and liner notes by Joseph Lanza. They were originally available by subscription only in the 90s, and as far as I can tell, out of print. It was a great thing for Easy Listening fans. You got a new disc every month with a different theme or "best of" focusing on artists like Henry Mancini, Ray Coniff, Nelson Riddle, etc. Joseph went out of his way to provide the best tracks, sometimes resorting to hard to find releases. Highly recommended if you can find them. After that, Lanza (along with Ashley Warren) went on to produce the Music for TV Dinner CDs for Caroline.

D

Great collection - I have it too. Its got some rare gems that are available nowhere else digitally!!!

On 2010-06-21 05:54, tabuzak wrote:
That CD is just one of many from a series...

Thanks for the info...I like knowing that sort of stuff! I feel like there might be some more obscure CD comps like this out there, it's just a matter of identifying them and then finding a copy...

Pages: 1 3 replies