Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ren Clark Severed Head Mug on Ebay

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

HOLY JEEZ!!!!.....i bet this goes for a mint!!!!....let the madness begin!!LOL!!!

J

Damnit! Why did you have to go and tell everyone!!
:)

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air MD!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2003-05-07 21:58 ]

T

I'd bet money that no one on TC will end up the high bidder- I think those nutty bidders are not members. This guy was smart and put "tiki mug" in the title too...

M

I corresponded with one of the eBay high rollers for awhile who told me that this mug is on the top of their list to obtain. I've seen this person bid $400 on mugs like it was nothing. So I would expect it could go that high or more. Although I would love to have this one I will definitely not be bidding. One day into the auction and it's already way beyond my limit. Of course, I do have a lottery ticket in my wallet that I haven't checked yet.......hmmm.

ModMana :drink:

F

It's got a CRACK in it.

That makes it practically worthless in my book (my book also includes two of these babies hehehe)

T

I know this will make me sound like a heretic, but that mug doesn't say 'tiki' or polynesian to me. The head looks like a bust of Michael Landon or something.

To me, it's the tulip of tiki mugs...

Bong, I agree. That mug is considered tiki by default. Here is description of the history of that mug that I posted in another thread:

*"Ren Clark was the President of a magician's society in Texas. As a matter of fact, if you type in "Ren Clark" on Yahoo you'll most likely get links to his past as a reknowned magician. He had a regular magic act at his restaurant, the Polynesian Village. His show ended with an act that consisted of a person losing their head to a guillotine - hence, the severed head souvenir mug.

The question is, "Is this mug tiki?" In my opinion no. However, Ren Clark's Polynesian Village certainly was a tiki establishment of Polynesian Pop proportions. As such, the mug has a connection to the tiki/polynesian pop genre as it is definitely an artifact from a now defunct tiki temple.

I personally love the mug because its so different. It's just one of those mugs that I think would look way cool on my shelf. Will I ever get one? Probably not. As I've said before, I'm too cheap to dish out the kind of bucks required to obtain a find like that one."*

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2095&forum=5&start=15

M

*Damnit! Why did you have to go and tell everyone!! *

Ha ha, now that he has HIS. I don't suspect it to go for as much as some record-setting mugs. As stated, it's not real "tiki", plus, prices are definitely going down. I won't be bidding, too much other stuff I want...and won't get.

One of those items was the latest "Sufferin Bastard" decanter that was just on Ebay. I say just on 'cause now it is off. Seems the seller took an offer to "end early". I emailed the seller, stating I hoped he received a nice profit 'case these go for quite a pretty sum.

Just heard back, seller asked if like "$50 was a lot". He had no idea what it was, just picked it up at estate sale for $3. Told him what it usually fetched on Ebay.

Never sell early! It means people want it. Such as moi....

Tiki mugs not ending early, or selling for that much!

Nice Bong! 'Little House on the Prarie' mug from the episode 'Charles Landon meets the Indians'.

*On 2003-05-08 09:50, midnite_tiki wrote:*Never sell early! It means people want it. Such as moi....

The corollary to that is never wait till the last moment to bid.

~Hanford

M

*The corollary to that is never wait till the last moment to bid. *

Yes, that has happened to us a few times. Wait, wait, wait, and then the pc gets a cramp. Lose out! No Esnipe for us either, we bid the old fashioned way. Hey, around here we're just trying to walk upright and not be afraid of fire.

And speaking of bidders waiting for the last moment. Nothing is worse when one has items on Ebay. Midnite has stuff for sale on Ebay, who knew? I know everyone waits, so do we, but Arrrggghh!...frustrating.

midnite, no link to auctions!

edited by midnite at 1:39 PST for removal of adult content.

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2003-05-08 14:39 ]

Now there is another SB decanter listed....this one starts at $99 with a "buy now" option of $400. I hadn't seen the listing mentioned above. I wonder if Midnite's seller told their would-be $50 buyer to take a hike and relisted it?

C

I want to know what allows sellers to cancel on eBay. It's happened to items I was bidding on twice now and there's no reason given when you look at the history.

J

On 2003-05-08 15:22, suffering bastard wrote:
Now there is another SB decanter listed....this one starts at $99 with a "buy now" option of $400. I hadn't seen the listing mentioned above. I wonder if Midnite's seller told their would-be $50 buyer to take a hike and relisted it?

That is the same guy! I had the item on my "watching" list and now the price is far from obtainable! I think I'm gonna stop looking at Ebay now - this is too depressing!

M

I see the severed head gavel fell:

$355

Pretty good, considering it is cracked. But still, I know of a TC member that got one for, oh never mind.

midnite

S

On 2003-05-08 15:32, Cultjam wrote:
I want to know what allows sellers to cancel on eBay. It's happened to items I was bidding on twice now and there's no reason given when you look at the history.

Sellers can and do end the auctions early. Mnay times (not all) if a bid is on the item, they won't end it. I have heard of sellers saying an item broke etc, if they don't get a bid high enough so they don't have to sell it.

Ah... another Ren Clark mug cancelled early for "unknown" reasons. The seller had all the right keywords. I bet it would have gone for more than he was offered in the end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3246716339&category=29460

It reminds me of that mug from the Mauna Loa in Mexico City that was just posted recently.

Sabu

On 2003-05-08 15:32, Cultjam wrote:

I've had people send me emails asking that if I would cancel the auction in order to sell them the specific item for a specific amount of cash right now. The offer would be much over the present bid. They just don't want to bother with the hassle (lazy ass) of the bidding process of the item they really want to possess, and with the guarantee that it will be theirs, and not yours. I have never fallen for this tactic just to make a few more bucks.
Strike up another THANKS for the lazy ass rich.

I agree with Sabu and Bong, this is more Azteca \ Mayan Mexico if anything.

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-10-18 10:52 ]

I just want to find out more about Ren Clark and his story. His joint had the Tikis carved by Milan Guanko! And there MUST be a shot of a beehived 60s beauty holding the Headhunter mug and smiling, SOMEWHERE! (Just like those Tiki Bob's mainland lingerie gals, Zazz!)

F

yeah no kidding. that place is such a mystery.. kind of like the magician himself..

E

I am curious: why is sniping using automated sniping software okay, but asking a seller to end early "lazy-ass"? I got steamed once in a thread here about sniping, but had loads of people step up to defend it, and changed my mind. Surely asking to end early is not THAT much different? Once again, it's all about how much you want the item...

emspace.

On 2003-10-23 10:29, emspace wrote:
I am curious: why is sniping using automated sniping software okay, but asking a seller to end early "lazy-ass"? I got steamed once in a thread here about sniping, but had loads of people step up to defend it, and changed my mind. Surely asking to end early is not THAT much different? Once again, it's all about how much you want the item...

Sniping is getting a legal bid in the auction at the last minute. Sniping doesn't undercut anyone, since everyone is aware of when the auction will end and has the opportunity to place their maximum bid. Offering a seller money to end the auction early undercuts everyone else, in a sense pulling the rug out from under everyone, and is a violation of auction rules. It doesn't give anyone else the opportunity to bid their highest amount.

On 2003-10-18 15:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
And there MUST be a shot of a beehived 60s beauty holding the Headhunter mug and smiling, SOMEWHERE! (Just like those Tiki Bob's mainland lingerie gals, Zazz!)

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-10-23 12:27 ]

E

On 2003-10-23 10:35, TheMuggler wrote:

On 2003-10-23 10:29, emspace wrote:

Sniping is getting a legal bid in the auction at the last minute. Sniping doesn't undercut anyone, since everyone is aware of when the auction will end and has the opportunity to place their maximum bid. Offering a seller money to end the auction early undercuts everyone else, in a sense pulling the rug out from under everyone, and is a violation of auction rules. It doesn't give anyone else the opportunity to bid their highest amount.

'kay. I'm feelin' easy today, since I just got sacked. Is that a paradox?

em.

I'm pretty sure a fellow tc'er got a seller to close an auction on a coconut mug I was bidding on this week. It's all good the way I see, the bidding, sniping, convincing,trading is all part of the fun of collecting I think. I've cancelled an auction to make a trade which I would always rather do than sell/buy.

E

They say confession is good for the soul...McDougall, 'twas I who convinced that coconut-seller to dispense with the auction. I will never do it again, and not just because my eBay days are over for the foreseeable future. I could sense the insanity about to rain down where I work, and I wanted that sucker SO BAD...blame Duke and Amy for putting it in "Tiki Quest". I was under buttloads of stress and I wanted just one thing to go my way. Now my job is kaput, but my consolation coconut will be there to remind me of these happy, free-spending days..

I will pray to all the gods that another one shows up really soon.

aloha,
emspace.

Lol, Yeah I was pretty sure it was you, like I said though, I see nothing wrong with the deal, congrats. Another will come around I'm sure.

Pages: 1 27 replies