Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Scrimshawing Tiki

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hello everyone in Tiki land...
Time to scrimshaw a Mammoth tusk...here is a photo of the "kick-off" of the project.

Cleaning the material, all mud, moss, loose pieces removed.

Clearing a window through the stain and arranging a composition.
This will be an 18th century ship arriving in a fantasy island based on Easter island.
(Inventing the scene gives freedom to design a composition and add elements of interest, free from the restrictions of representing actual places. The elements are based on real things, but arranged in a way to display the Tiki theme in a creative way.)

This tusk weighs several pounds, is from about 20,000 - 50,000 years ago.

Here is a tusk section representing mermaids, currently on display at the Mai Kai.
This one was on display at this years Hukilau in the Bahia Mar. Tons of time, months on and off went into it's creation. This next tusk is Tikis all the way.

YEAH!!!!! Tiki scrimshaw!!!

Is that a nice looking section of tusk or are you just happy to see me? :lol:

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing more.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jun 21, 2010 6:07 PM

William -

Great to meet you at Hukilau as well as our conversation at the Mai Kai gift shop...Can't wait to see the tiki tusk when its finished. Keep up the great work and hopefully we'll see your work again someday - in California!

Take care, Thanks for posting. G

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 21, 2010 10:57 PM

That tusk might have belong to one of GROG'pet Mammoth back in the day.

Nice art. GROG look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

wow, i dig the mermaid piece. it's cool seeing another type of art on here. please keep posting your progress on the moai piece.

Beautiful work! Those mermaids are awesome!

The scrimshaw idea is UTTER MADNESS.

Which means I love it. Excellent work.

Beautiful intricate and visually stunning work! I think that is the first scrimshaw I have seen on TC. Would love to see a little lesson, from you, on scrimshawing along with some progress photo's would be great? That is some serious talent. I find the mermaid with the heads on view is rather humorous. In a good way of course.

Facebook
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2010-06-22 11:02 ]

been busy creating a website....more scrimshaw project pictures and a link coming soon.

Web site under construction...simple but effective
http://www.whscrimshaw.com

Have a visit...more added all the time.
Thanks, William

H

On 2010-06-27 00:55, WJHScrimshaw wrote:
Web site under construction...simple but effective

Simple yes but not effective. You need better close up photos! I'd love to see your work on this website but can't.

I didn't know a scrimshaw artist was known as a "scrimshander" - interesting. The Tuscan Brown coloring looks good.

Many of these pictures were sent to me by other people willing to help me who did not have professional macro lenses on their cameras. I feel fortunate to have any record of these works.

The web site has only been up for about 8 hours, in due time better pictures will be added of new projects.

The new ones of the mermaid tusk will be up today, a current project for sale in Florida.

William, good to meet you and see your work in person at Hukilau. Simply amazing detail and skill in all your pieces. Keep it going, and post more images!

Any updates on this?

Pages: 1 15 replies