Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Jungle Fever 2010 July 30th, 31st, Sarasota

Pages: 1 42 replies

R

A heads up to locals that need an excuse to sip Mai Tais. We will be having our second annual Jungle Fever event the last weekend of July in Sarasota, FL. Last year we started the tradition as a way to celebrate some old Florida attractions that are still with us, in this case, the Bahi Hut and Sarasota Jungle Gardens, both places mentioned in The Tiki Roadtrip. This year we also have Trader Vics, so we can do a spot on comparison between a TV Mai Tai and the ones the Bahi Hut serves (actually, they are totally different drinks for totally different purposes....).

Last year featured a trip to Mr. Bones, a voodoo themed barbecue joint, The pilgrimage to the Bahi Hut and Jungle Gardens and their tiki garden, as well as movie night in the old Roth Cigar factory featuring jungle girl movies. The Roth building was shuttered in December to make way for future development, but I've secured a 1956 pavilion built by architect Victor Lundy (who went on to design several iconic populuxe structures for the New York Worlds Fair) to show movies in, and we can either do that inside in the A/C, or outside in the pool. Movie selection will be from a collection of jungle movies spanning from the 30's through the 60's.
Friday night might be more mai tais in a private tiki garden, or alcohol fueled bowling action after the Bahi Hut.

This is something I'd like to develop into a bigger event, to support an intact late 50's tiki bar and one of Florida's few remaining roadside attractions. Anyone is welcome, please RSVP so we know how many to plan for.
See pictures of last year here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/miramarleague/sets/72157624165787903/

This will be a modest event with an eye to developing it into something bigger. The Ohana's suggestions will be appreciated.

The last weekend as in July 31/Aug 1 or the last full weekend in July as in July 24/25? The 24/25th is the weekend of Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans and a bunch of us are headed over for that. We could get some of the Brevard tiki people to come over (especially since I have family in Sarasota) if if is the July 31 weekend.

E
e33 posted on Tue, Jun 22, 2010 10:15 AM

If the wallet survives Ohana, I hope we'll come over. Thanks for putting it together.

One thing I was mildly disappointed in with the Hukilau was the dropping of the Bowling venue. I am sure there is keen interest with some of the Tiki Ohana in this vital aspect of late 1950's through the 1960's popular culture. Along with Aloha shirts, Hot Rods, Surf tunes and Rockabilly, what makes a stronger statement in your love of Populuxe as a bowling bag and the bowling shirt? Remember some of the strongest Tiki power places were bowling alleys (sadly no more). Don't let the fans of the 'Big Lebowski' hog all the fun! Friday night at this event can be a 'Cosmic' bowling adventure for us all and a switch from the kerosene Mai Tais to White Russians!

Trader Rick,

Just wanted to make sure that you knew that The Hukilau didn't drop the bowling event. We actually addressed this in one of our news eblasts and a thread here on TC but what happened was that the complex in which the bowling alley was located decided to cancel all maintenance to the alley, therefore, we didn't know what type of shape it would be in when The Hukilau rolled around. They were trying to save money in this economy. I offerred to pay for the maintenance up until the end of June 2010 so that we could enjoy this. Then the complex informed me that their insurance would not cover the liability of so many on their property - the complex is actually a private condo residence now, therefore, everything must be approved by their board.

It sure would have been a blast - that's why I was trying so hard to make it happen. Take Care!

R

Trader Rick was just wanting to wear the outrageous bowling shirt he bought just for tiki bowling. The patches we made were originally supposed to be for our bowling attire. Being involved in a homeowners association myself, I can see how things might have occurred at the Hawaiian Gardens condos to prevent it.

In Sarasota, we have an older facility that does Cosmic Bowling at night, it has a space theme and is all lit up with blacklights. My own game gets way better after the two allowed Bahi Hut mai tais. (Folks coming to swig these need to make sure they bring a designated driver!)

On 2010-06-22 13:12, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Trader Rick,

Just wanted to make sure that you knew that The Hukilau didn't drop the bowling event. We actually addressed this in one of our news eblasts and a thread here on TC but what happened was that the complex in which the bowling alley was located decided to cancel all maintenance to the alley, therefore, we didn't know what type of shape it would be in when The Hukilau rolled around. They were trying to save money in this economy. I offerred to pay for the maintenance up until the end of June 2010 so that we could enjoy this. Then the complex informed me that their insurance would not cover the liability of so many on their property - the complex is actually a private condo residence now, therefore, everything must be approved by their board.

It sure would have been a blast - that's why I was trying so hard to make it happen. Take Care!

I emphasize MILDLY disappointed. I know it wasn't lack of effort on your part. I've run events myself (reenactments) and I know that not everything happens the way you want it too. Please don't take my post as criticism of the Hukilau in any way! Actually I was having so much fun at the Hukilau that I didn't even think about this until Robotiki brought it up. Please understand I was just trying to test the waters with my post and see if there was any interest. If there is, maybe I could help organize something for the Hukilau. I just think bowling and Tiki make a great match up Like El SANTO and the BOLO!!! :)

I didn't take it that way at all, actually felt good to explain it again. I wish I could attend this event!

And if a bowling event should work out, I'd love to have your help!

Anybody still want to clue me in on which weekend this is going to be held?

R

On 2010-06-23 09:14, TikiHardBop wrote:
Anybody still want to clue me in on which weekend this is going to be held?

Check out the title for the thread.......

Otherwise, it's the 30th,31st...

Maybe I'll take a ride over. Are toddlers welcome?

On 2010-06-23 10:05, JETSETTER wrote:
Maybe I'll take a ride over. Are toddlers welcome?

The only non-kid friendly venue would be Bahi Hut. It's a true bar, 21 and older. Jungle Gardens and Trader Vic's (Island Bar & Grill) are both very family establishments, and if we have a toddler at the bowling alley, we'll have an excuse to ask for the bumpers to be up! :) My 11 year old can babysit if needed.

My copies of Sheena, Queen of the Jungle arrived today and I have a copy of the latest Trailer Park Boys movie "Countdown to Liquor Day." for viewing under the influence.

R

An exciting day. I met with the owners of the Bahi Hut today and they are totally on board with growing the event, starting this year, and the idea of making the Bahi Hut more in keeping with a true tiki bar vibe. Built in 1956, the Bahi Hut has been famous amongst locals for it's mai tais, very strong mai tais. It is also famous for it's napkin art, which I am happy to say, I will be helping them to replicate and soon they will be using again. Yours truly has been asked to help spiffy the place up and I am happy to say the owner is taking a historical approach to his next step for the bar. Expect to see some more outside tikis, some more tikis inside, but the majority will be freshly repaired, but unchanged.

Lodging at the Golden Host, a retro 50's hotel adjoining the Bahi Hut, is 15% off if you mention Jungle Fever. You will also be presented with drink coupons for extra discounts.

http://www.goldenhostresort.com 941-355-5141

It's a pleasant place with a nice pool, with room for entertainment.

Stay tuned for news of Bahi Hut exclusive items........

You can tentatively pencil TorndadiTiki and myself in as attendees!

TK

poop and double poop. being a slave to the company, i have to work. i would love to come down from tpa and do this. i have been wanting to try both the hut and the tv place. again, poop.

B

Robo...

I am in. We are in town that weekend. We can also host and/or sponsor some activities.

Long Live the Hut !

R

Great news Bo! Looking forward to having you and as many FOM locals as wish to attend. I'll be with you offline to discuss details.

Have a facebook page on it:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128214660552314

More details soon!

Q

July 30 and 31 are Friday and Saturday, correct? Too bad Im on call those days but I'd love to make it. Perhaps I'll be able to trade with someone....hmmmm

Come one, come all! After our wives see the June VISA bills from the Hukilau, Robotiki and I may be banned from visiting each other for a while!

Any interest in bowling on Friday night after getting fueled up at the Bai Hai Hut?

R

What better fun than to wear rented shoes and throw a heavy ball on polished wood. Be part of the 1st annual Tiki Bowl. There will be a trophy for highest overall score suitable for display in your swank pad.
After the two mai tai limit at the Bahi Hut, your game WILL get better.

Let's see your outrageous bowling shirts!

Wow! I definitely hope I can make this event! I have to check the calendar to see if I work!

If this little bowling tournament works out and is a fun thing to do, I'll approach Tiki_kiliki about organizing one for the Hukilau.

R

I've just met with Shane, the Manager at Trader Vic's about Jungle Fever. They will be providing swag items for the event. In addition, they will be donating vintage Trader Vic's items as prizes for the Tiki Bowl tournament.

There will be a prize for best overall score, and a prize for best bowling shirt (or bowling attire, for the ladies). Booze and bowling, a natural combo . Get designated drivers lined up.

I don't think we have quite enough signed on yet this year to warrant getting a trolley to shuttle us around all weekend, but that is the plan for next year for sure.

Bohemian (Bill Dillard, photographer extraordinaire is going to be setting up at the venues doing free digital prints with some of the cool backgrounds that the weekend will present.

Swag bags will be for folks Friday night at the meet and greet around the Golden Host Resort pool where we can get to put names with faces before we pour into the original 1956 Bahi Hut.

Come compare mai tais, revel in retroville.

I'm expecting to be in SRQ that weekend with my 7 year old son in tow. I'd love to come out and meet y'all at some of the kid-friendly venues. Jungle Gardens for sure. Cheers.

P

This sounds awesome. I love the Bahi Hut.

I'm supposed to help my daughter move out of Miami that weekend but I may be done by Friday evening and if so - I'll be swinging in for some fun on my way home.

TTornadoTiki and I will be there. Let us know the schedule of events when you get one.

R

Just a heads up, the Golden Host is starting to get short on rooms, so if you wish to attend and need a room, then best to get one reserved soon. As mentioned before, they are offering a 15% off when you mention Jungle Fever. This is off season, so the rooms are cheap anyway, but with the discount they are very reasonable indeed. A single room (no view at all) is 41 bucks after discount, the Garden view rooms are 50 and pool view (recommended) are 58, all plus tax.

Here's a shot of the pool area we will be in.

We are still hammering out the schedule to be posted soon. As there has already been more of a response this year than expected, we are scrambling to see if we can line up a bit more entertainment. Stand by for more details.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-07-25 17:25 ]

R

I need to have an idea of how many will be joining us for Tiki Bowl so I can reserve the correct number of lanes. Trader Rick, who was supposed to be our bowling pro is now in a leg cast due to a canoe accident, but he assures me he will still be there to help run the show. Please reply or contact me with the number of ball slingers in your party.
Again there will be a prize for best overall score and a prize for best bowling attire. Even if you suck at bowling (like I do) you can come home with something if your bowling shirt is outrageous enough! Again, thanks ft Trader Vic's Island Bar & Grill for donating prizes.

R

Just got back from Trader Vic's IB&G. They've donated these nifty vintage shakers as a prize for the Tiki Bowl.

Do we have a schedule yet? We need to start making plans for heading over there on Friday and we also have friends in Sarasota that would like to join in the fun.

R

Trader Rick, my right hand man for this event went to the extremes of crashing a canoe and knee surgery just so he wouldn't have to help out this weekend. He was to run Tiki Bowl, but we'll muddle though without him. The only good thing is my game doesn't look so bad when not compared to his. I've simplified the schedule a bit as a result.

Friday the evening starts at 6, music beginning at 6:15 poolside at the Golden Host Resort, next door to the Bahi Hut. There will be some freebies and snacks. The pool is accessed from the parking area by a walk between the rooms and front office. Live Hawaiian music by Fatu, Music will continue to about 8:45 when we will begin showing the vintage 50's Jungle Girl movies. In between is plenty of time to slip into the historic 1956 Bahi Hut and sip some of it's legendary mai tais. (Warning-they are STRONG). The rooms are inexpensive enough for Jungle Fever participants that even locals may want to stay there rather than drive after the mai tais....

We may have a couple vendors Friday by the pool. Any other folks that wish to sell or swap tiki, bring it along for free tables to set up on.

Saturday morn at 10:45 we will rendezvous at Sarasota Jungle Gardens for a tour of one of Florida's few remaining roadside attractions. Cost for JF participants is 12 bucks a head. You must bring the amount in cash and please have exact change. To obtain that rate we have to pay in one lump sum and all go though the turn styles at one time. We will enter the park at 11am promptly.

Saturday early afternoon is free for pool or beach. I will get together a list of possible tiki quest possibilities for those who wish to hunt down something for the collection. At 4 pm I will be giving a limited peek at my collection, stop me for the address if you'd like to swing by.

At 6pm it's off to Trader Vic's for some beef cho cho, mai tais and dinner. They have a band that starts at 7pm, but I am unsure of it's sound. Bill Dillard (Bohemian) of Go11 media is setting up a green screen for the evening with free photos and digital output of the tiki scene there.

At 8:30, those that are signed up to do Tiki Bowl (see sign up sheet Friday at the welcome party) will leave for Sarasota Lanes for the first annual bowling event. There is a prize for best attire, and best overall score. As Trader Vic's and Sarasota Lanes both close, it's back to the Bahi Hut for a night cap.

Sunday morning at 10am, it's breakfast with Elvis at the Waffle Stop, where Elvis ate in the late 50's and they still sell his signature (ulp) breakfast. Not for the weak.

This is our first year taking the event past our little group of friends. We are working on getting sponsors, lining up acts and creating unique collectibles for next year's event. Key to growing an event that takes in different venues and alcohol will be a trolley to cart everyone around together.

This year, however, please have a designated driver. Party safe and have a great time in Sarasota.

In lieu of an admission fee this year, if you have a vintage, or vintage looking tiki or tiki mug you'd like to donate to the new display at the Bahi Hut, that would be swell. Mostly browns, no bright colors, please. There will be a tote out Friday evening by the Golden Host pool for donations.

Robotiki

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-07-28 00:30 ]

R

The 12 foot inflatable screen arrived for the outside movie action.

Robotiki

[ Edited by: robotiki 2010-07-29 17:13 ]

R

Picked up the trophy for Tiki Bowl this afternoon.

R

Here's the ticket for the reduced rate at Jungle Gardens, print it out, any size and bring with you.

J

Wish I could make it. Have a great time, everyone!

P

Hope everyone had a fun time this weekend. Unfortunately I worked Friday and had tons to do Saturday. I'll definitely make it next time though! Anyone get pictures?

R

It was a good time for all who came. Everything we had on the schedule happened. Thanks for those that came out. Stand by for some images.

Everyone convened poolside Friday at the Golden Host for some live music by Fatu and his Don Ho style sounds.

We even had a vendor. Justin from the Hive had a table of goodies from lost wax cast tiki pendants to Thor prints.

The Bahi Hut always delivers a trip back in time, and Trader Vic's delivers a great 1944 mai tai. The special talk at Jungle Gardens featured archival images and a little known fact that the star birds there were purchased from the California prison system!

Even without Trader Dick, Tiki Bowl went off with awards going to Chris and George for best shirts. They received a vintage pair of shakers donated by Trader Vic's IB&G. Bill won best overall score and was crowned Tiki Bowl Champ 2010. We even had a vendor. Justin from the Hive had a table of goodies from lost wax cast tiki pendants to Thor prints.

R

For some reason, trying to upload images here was taking forever, so I posted some pictures from last weekend here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/miramarleague/sets/72157624636253110/

B

Thanks Robotiki for coordinating this !

Entertainment, Swag Bags, trophies....... Well Done !! Next year.... Cooler month, maybe Oct. and we combine it with a carve !

I knew that remote control bowling ball would come in handy some day !

P

As we drove past the University exit last night on our way back from the horrid flatliner city of Marco Island, I mentioned to the Amber Love Goddess about the event at the Bahi Hut and she sighed and said out loud, "Our stupid family gets in the way of any good tiki time." And I used that frustration to beg off any trip to Marco EVER for the rest of my life.

I sure was thinking of that little bar and Jungle Gardens all day Saturday during the rest of the daughter's move. I hope you guys had an awesome time and please keep me on the email list for future events. Even if it's just a one night hookup down there somewhere.

P

Looks like I missed a great time! I am definitely coming to this next time!

Pages: 1 42 replies