Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tools to buy for a Tiki Themed Office?

Pages: 1 2 replies

Hello! First my apologies if this isn't the right forum. Searching for tools finds Tiki Carving. My need is a bit different. =)

The purpose of this question is to get tools I'll need for my Tiki themed office but also good tools in general to get for someone starting out in DIY creation.

I'm starting from scratch / improving my collection. So any suggestion (even get a level) is welcome. All I have right now are VERY basic tools like a normal hammer and screwdriver.

I have a Dremal, Dewalt Drill and a Sawzall already. These are new additions. Here's what I forsee me doing so far...

I will need to cut bamboo short ways (to trim so it fits around the window). I may get the already split kind since I'm not sure how well it'll cut long ways.

I'll need the ability to make simple shapes such as:

A foot high altar area. Basically a triangle corner desk shape yet strong enough to hold a Tiki carving and some dark rocks.

A closet desk (I have a great plan from Indestructables to help with that).

Also some shelves to hold all my Tiki mugs.

Any imperfections with that (and the desk I'm planning to make) can be covered with Lauhala matting (or something similar).

Some way to attach Lauhala matting to the wall. (Staples or some sort of glue?) If staples then I'd be interested in a good staple gun. I plan on making more items in the future so I wouldn't be opposed to getting a good staple gun and a nail gun as well. (I'm leaning toward powered tools.)

Some way to attach Thatch around the window like in the photo.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:EME1B9jVsClMOM:http://www.amazuluinc.com/images/thatch-reed-panel-awning-over-window-florida.jpg

Sorry for the tiny photo but the "real" photo isn't there anymore (or doesn't show up for me).

Thanks in advance!

T

On 2010-06-26 13:06, JenniferT wrote:

A foot high altar area.

For sacrifices?

J

On 2010-07-01 08:55, TikiPug wrote:

On 2010-06-26 13:06, JenniferT wrote:

A foot high altar area.

For sacrifices?

Not initially but I like to keep my options open. I'd have to plan for the future you know. I'd hate to finish my office, then get into human sacrifices and then go: "Oh no... I didn't plan for the altar area! Now the bean bag will have to go to make space!"

Pages: 1 2 replies