Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Beachcomber Rum Barrel - Is this not the Perfect Drink

Pages: 1 12 replies

Okay, I know everyone has their favorite tiki drinks. I love the Zombie, Mai Tai, and I am especially fond of a Pearl Diver Punch; however, the Beachcomber Rum Barrel holds a special place in my list of favorite drinks.

I made my first when Sippin Safari first came out. It's one of those drinks you can only really make if you have all of the right ingredients - it uses everything, including the kitchen sink. Donn threw everything he had learned into perfecting this one.

I remember my first one. It was so good, I had to make another. That's 8 oz. of rum. Wow. My wife came in and sipped it and I remember her saying, "Wow, this is good!" And before I knew it, nothing was left.

I came back recently and made myself another rum barrel and oddly enough, it was exactly how I remembered it. So, I made another and as I did, my wife came in and sipped it and said, "Hmmm, this is good!" And it was gone.

So, a few days later I repeated the experiment and the results were the same.

I have found the Beachcomber Rum Barrel to be one of the most balanced and complex drinks ever. You can taste almost every ingredient either separately or as an ensemble.

I am curious - am I alone in this way of thinking about this drink? Am I crazy or are there others of you out there that feel the same way?
Please, let me know.

You know what? I'm going to light up, right here, right now, and smoke!

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-06-27 11:55 ]

I have not made this drink myself at Home.
But am interested in trying to do so.

But it has become my favorite/and go to drink at Dons in So. Cal.
when I go there on mondays for TC nite, sat for bands, and any other time.

there are other drinks I like there.
The Navy Grog,Vicious Virgin,,3 dots and dash, the Zombie, and others.

But I agree, the Rum Barrel is an amazing drink.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks for responding. I thought that Don's might offer it. I will try one next time I am in town. If it is as true to taste as is there 1934 Zombie Punch, then I will be truly amazed.

The Rum Barrel requires 13 ingredients and the time and finesse to make it. But is it ever worth it.

Now you have me thinking about making an extra trip out to the beach to try one.

On 2010-06-28 11:50, telescopes wrote:
Thanks for responding. I thought that Don's might offer it. I will try one next time I am in town. If it is as true to taste as is there 1934 Zombie Punch, then I will be truly amazed.

The Rum Barrel requires 13 ingredients and the time and finesse to make it. But is it ever worth it.

Now you have me thinking about making an extra trip out to the beach to try one.

True to taste, it is!

All of their syrups and liqueurs are home brewed, so the falernum and pimento typically taste very fresh and spicy.

I wonder if they use real Pernod though? Probably.

Either way, a very good drink at DTB. The cheapo in me only orders it during Happy Hour though.

Then it is settled. I'm on my way.

I usually have 2 rum barrels on monday all night happy hour.
And 1 when I go on sat. to see the bands, then 1 Navy Grog.
But lately I have been spending the extra money, and getting 2 on sat. nights also.

Long Live the Rum Barrel,
plus they have a rum barrel mug for sale too.
Jeff(btd)

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Rum Barrel Today.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-06-29 12:01 ]

C U Next Tuesday
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Seconded (or whatever) about the Rum Barrel..definitely my favorite drink at Don's. Last night Brianna made me one with an ounce less mix, but the same amount of rum so it would fit into a regular Tiki mug. So good!

See, this is why I am so confused. With all of the talk about Mai Tai this or Zombie that, it seems no one acknowledges the rum barrel.

Now I've had and tasted just about every type of drink Don or Vic ever made and I am telling you, outside of getting laid by a real Polynesian woman, - this drink is a go to drink.

So, why don't we read more about it?

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-08-15 21:42 ]

H

Check this topic, Beachcomber's Rum Barrel has been mentioned by some members.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25938&forum=10&start=75&hilite=your favorite drink from Sippin Saf

On 2010-06-29 20:02, telescopes wrote:
See, this is why I am so confused. With all of the talk about Mai Tai this or Zombie that, it seems no one acknowledges the rum barrel.

Now I've had and tasted just about every type of drink Don or Vic ever made and I am telling you, outside of getting laid by a real Polynesian woman, something I've done - this drink is a go to drink.

So, why don't we read more about it?

This is my 2nd favorite Donn Drink. And yes I have made them recently, and yes they are awesome.
I did have to substitute a bit of Jamaican Allspice for the Pimento Dram, But it was close enough for the moment. Next box of bottles comes with
the Pimento(allspice) dram.

Oh my, I had two last night. Well, really one and a half. My wife finished it off if favor of having it over the Missionary's Downfall.

I have to say, the food and drink at DTB is outstanding and the happy hour is so reasonable, in truth, tiki or no tiki, this place rules as seen by the large crowd that was there.

I had such a good time, I bought the DTB long neck mug.

Pages: 1 12 replies