Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Help With Milt Raskin

Pages: 1 9 replies

Can anyone help me sort through the 10,000 Milt Raskin albums on iTunes, all of which seem to be variations of maybe two albums? I have trashed vinyl of the album on Crown. Thanks in advance.

D

Be sure to audition some of the tunes before you select to download the full album. The quality between the multiple offerings IS DIFFERENT.

The "Kapu" album offered on the FLAIR label is much cleaner, with more high end frequencies than the Crown offering. Which is odd, they sound like the same recordings.

Since I purchased (downloaded) my copy of Kapu from iTunes a couple of years ago, they have added some artwork (still not the original LP art). You really gotta let your ears to the judging.

is it kapu you're looking for? at the end of this page you'll find it. don't know 'bout the quality but it free anyway. http://www.bluehipster.com/music.htm

MN

Here is the album to look for if you are searching vinyl. The link appears to be dead.

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-05-01 20:12 ]

K

I'm only aware of ONE Milt raskin exotica LP and that's "Kapu"..also released as "Exotic Sounds Of Hawaii" & "Exotic Percussion." Song titles were changed (I think) on "Exotic Percussion."

O

On 2012-05-01 23:13, Kaiwaza wrote:
I'm only aware of ONE Milt raskin exotica LP and that's "Kapu"..also released as "Exotic Sounds Of Hawaii" & "Exotic Percussion." Song titles were changed (I think) on "Exotic Percussion."

Thanks, I'm basically aware of this. Since my initial post, I have found clean copies of both "Kapu" and "Exotic Percussion" on vinyl, one mono one stereo, about as clean as Crown vinyl can be. :wink: My original question had to do with the digital versions, which include more than 10 track titles and all kinds of weird variations on the original LP titles - "Even More Kapu," "Son of Exotic Percussion," etc. I think the Flair release in stereo is the one I ended up downloading. It has the best sound of any of them. It sounds like it may have been taken from a tape source. (I know that Crown released some titles commercially on reel to reel).

Buying digital music shouldn't be this confusing...

...and the german press (in stereo, Baccarola International) I found in Sweden is titled "Exotic Tahiti". Perhaps it pops up a series of multiple alternative names for this recording. Very interesting! :)

IZ

On 2012-05-01 23:13, Kaiwaza wrote:

Believe it or not I also have an LP on the Custom label that is called "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." The first song on the LP is a cover of the title track. The cover is an illustration from an imagined spaghetti western scene. The rest of the LP? Kapu. All with different "western" titles. The tracks are pretty clean because it's not on Crown.

K

I, Zombie. That is SO interesting! That's the first time I've heard of any of the Raskin tracks showing up with a different credit.I LOVE how budget label stuff turns up all over the place. I'd LOVE to know what titles they used for the Raskin tracks. They are so, "Oriental/Polynesian" I can not imagine whoever initially bought the LP thinking it was "Western" would by like "WTF" when they first played it.
"Western", right.."Western Samoa."
On a similar note, I have a Chaino LP on budget Viking label, that is an orchestral cover of the "Theme From Mondo Cane" & the rest are all Chaino tracks. It's credited to Ugella & His Orchestra and call "Theme From Mondo Cane & Other Horror Music." Gotta love it.

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2012-05-16 14:07 ]

And Crown had an LP (forget the name) that starts with "Guantanamera," and the rest of the album is "Jazz Heat Bongo Beat!"

Pages: 1 9 replies