Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Cook Islands 2010 - Rarotonga

Pages: 1 14 replies

We booked our trip in February 2 days before 5 cyclones hit the islands. Rarotonga had some damage but Aitutaki took the biggest hit (more pix on that island later). We returned to the Rarotonga Beach Bungalows with friends...highly recommended. New Zealand Air is great. They do not charge for baggage (unless over 50lbs-2 each allowed) or the free flowing booze. Personal screens on each seat for veiwing movies, tv, and music. I think they just raised the $750.00 rt to $835.00.....still a great deal.

There is a new terminal for arrivals with a duty free liquor shop that had Havana Club silver for $20.00 NZ (about $15.00 U.S.) and Havana Club Anejo for $22.00. I recommend buying it there before customs as I only saw Bacardi, Captain Morgan's, etc in the markets in town. We also brought a couple bottles of Zaya from the States.

Again the fish,fruits, and vegetables were excellent. This was a roadside stand 5 minute walk down the road

There is great art to be seen in galleries and hotels around the island

Lots of life in the lagoon

Noni fruit....lots of healing power. I rubbed some of this on a very bad rash/infection. Was completely gone in 5 days. We were told that the plant has 122 beneficial substances that when pasturized for import to the states leaves only 20% of them.

More to come...

Very Nice,
thanks for posting Ron.

Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2010 11:33 PM

Dammit! You forgot to take GROG!

H

Great photos - thanks for posting! I went in '97 and really enjoyed it. The Aitutaki lagoon is one of the most beautiful, pristine lagoons I've ever seen.

Looking forward to seeing more!

More please its making me feel at home and peaceful

B

We were able to find more rum....

Winter in the South Pacific brought big waves to the outer reef . Daytime temp 82... night 72

Favorite dinner was the swordfish at the Windjammer....lunch at Pa's house after the nature walk, smoked tuna with loacl veggies

That was from the nature walk with 70 year old Pa....he also does the cross island trek... both recommended

Next stop Aitutaki....

Damn, that all looks exactly like the paradise in my head!

H

So glad to see Pa is still doing his thing! He's a cool guy.

Your pictures are fantastic - they bring back some lovely memories.

Wow!

On 2010-07-05 19:13, Hibiscus wrote:
So glad to see Pa is still doing his thing! He's a cool guy.

I thought the same thing when I saw that photo.
Did any of you get to meet Piri "The Coconut King"?

V
virani posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2010 1:33 AM

awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. That's one of the place I'd love to visit...

B

Thanks all.....did not meet the coconut king......

Aitutaki

The lagoon here is huge! Will add some more next week.

Awesome pics Ron , looks like a dream trip .Thanks for sharing .

T

Thanks for posting these great pictures. Unfortunately I have never been there but I would love to visit this wonderful island. Hopefully I can realize this journey soon. I absolutely like the last picture with the tortoise on it. I would love to see such an animal in real life.

H

Whoa, fantastic shots! The Aitutaki lagoon is second only to Bora Bora's in my opinion. Gorgeous! Thanks for posting.

Pages: 1 14 replies