Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anisette Substitution

Pages: 1 8 replies

W

I have a bottle of DeKuyper's Anisette (the NEX was selling it for $5 a bottle) and would like to know if it can be a substitute for Pernod.

P

No, Anisette is not a substitute for Pernod. Anisette is much sweeter and less herbal than Pernod or Absinthe.

W

Thanks, I wasn't sure what to make of it. Looks like the hunt for Pernod or Herbainsthe continues then...

On 2010-07-01 03:49, Wayfarer wrote:
...if it can be a substitute for Pernod.

You can sub it for Pernod, but it won't be the same. Anisette is just that, Anise. It is not as complex as Pernod or Ricard so your drink will be a bit flat and lifeless. If you like Anise then you will enjoy the drink, but as a sub it just doesn't quite make it.

W

I've never had anise before, it's one of the new toys I've picked up since coming to the island. Wasn't sure what to make of it since I've never had Pernod or Anisette. Thanks for the info.

What about Prado as a possible sub? It is also a pastis.

I think I'm gonna buy a little bottle and try it, but I was wondering if anyone already had.

On 2010-07-06 11:38, loneranger84 wrote:

I think I'm gonna buy a little bottle and try it, but I was wondering if anyone already had.

Please do and report back. I can't get Prado here locally so I have to rely on others for this one.

On 2010-07-06 13:42, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-07-06 11:38, loneranger84 wrote:

Please do and report back. I can't get Prado here locally so I have to rely on others for this one.

Will do.

Don't have any Pernod to do a proper side-by-side comparison, but I have tasted Pernod before.

I have been using absinthe lately, and it adds too much licorice flavor in my experience. In search of something a little more balanced.

EDIT: Tried it in a Blood of the Kapu Tiki. Seemed to work well, but hard to say. Will do a proper taste test in a Doctor Funk or a 151 Swizzle tonight!

[ Edited by: loneranger84 2010-07-07 14:59 ]

Nice sub in a 151 Swizzle. Not too much licorice; a nice sweetness to it. Blends nicely.

I'm going to try drinking it straight (just diluted with some H2O).

Pages: 1 8 replies