Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Spinning EXOTICA and more Sundays @ Fu Kun Wu in Seattle (Updated 05/07)

Pages: 1 17 replies

Aloha Tiki Centralites,
I just wanted to let Seattle area folks and travelers know that I am spinning EXOTICA, Hawaiian, jazz, Brazilian, Latin, jazz, funk, blues, reggae, cocktail, lounge, electronica and more at a funky little Asian style lounge, called Fu Kun Wu, in the back of the Thai restaurant, Thaiku, located in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle (5410 Ballard Ave). I spin Tuesday evenings from 8:30ish to close. The decor leans more vintage Asia than tropical oceanic style, but there's still that island vibe. Ask to see the "opium den" which can be rented out for private functions. Their speciality drinks are exotic herb and liquor concoctions, rather than drinks from the Mai Tai family. Here's last Tuesday night's play list, and a few links that talk about the restaurant. Hope to see you there one night.

Thanks

P.S. See ya at the Oasis!

P.S.S. Some reviews of Fu Kun Wu
link #1
link #2

DJ Playlist for Selector Lopaka at Fu Kun Wu, Seattle WA
May 6, 2003

1. Lopaka's Beat - Hawaiian Eye TV Soundtrack (Warner Bros.)
  2. Buddhist Bells - Martin Denny (Liberty)
  3. Quiet Village Bossa Nova - Martin Denny (Liberty)
  4. Jasmine and Jade - Axel Stordahl (Dot)
  5. Bali Hai - unknown Japanese post war Hawaiian style version
  6. Flamingo - Martin Denny (Liberty)
  7. Blue Jungle - Les Baxter (Capitol)
  8. Beginning To See The Light - Tak Shindo (Capitol)
  9. Tiki - Si Zentner (Liberty)
  10. Taboo - Edmundo Ross (London)
  11. Mambo Inn - John Evans and the Big Band (Directional Sound)
  12. An Occasional Man - Jeri Southern (Decca)
  13. Mr. Lucky Goes Latin - Henry Mancini (RCA Victor)
  14. On A Coconut Island - Louis Armstrong (Classics Records)
  15. Enchantment - Robert Drasnin (Tops)
  16. Moonlight In Paradise - The Surfmen (Stereo Fidelity)
  17. Riptide - Lushy (self released)
  18. Taboo Tu - Arthur Lyman (HIFI Records)
  19. Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny (Dot)
  20. Caravan - unknown Japanese post war Hawaiian style version
  21. Hawaiian War Chant - Johnny Coco (Columbia)
  22. Sound Of Exotica - Ted Auletta and his Orchestra (Cameo)
  23. Whatever Lola Wants - Les Baxter (Capitol)
  24. Bushi Bushi - Rex Kona and his Mandarins (Columbia)
  25. Bunny Kick - Tipsy (Asphodel)
  26. House Of Bamboo - Earl Grant (Decca)
  27. Soul Motion - Cal Tjader (Verve)
  28. Lazy Busy - Montefiorri Cocktail (Irma)
  29. Agua De Beber - Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 (A & M)
  30. Mas Que Nada - Laurindo Almeida (Capitol)
  31. Wave - Frank Sinatra (Capitol)
  32. The Girl From Ipanema - Martin Denny (Liberty)
  33. Nao Vem Que Nao Tem - Wilson Simonal (Six Degrees)
  34. Fever - Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell (Verve)
  35. Song For My Father - Bobby Valentin (Fania)
  36. Greedy G - Soul Dimension (Soul Jazz)
  37. Chocolate Elvis - Tosca (Quango / G Stone)
  38. Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis (Cadet)
  39. African Herbsman - Bob Marley and the Wailers (Trojan)
  40. Check Out Your Mind - Curtis Mayfield (Curtom)
  41. Los Twangueros - Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban (World Circuit)
  42. Black Magic Woman - Fleetwood Mac (Epic)
  43. Fattening Frogs For Snakes - Sonny Boy Williamson (Chess)
  44. Funky Miracle - The Meters (Charly)
  45. Tag am Meer (Original Instrumental) - Die Fantastischen Vier (Best Seven Recordings/Sonar Kollektiv)
  46. Good Night - ZEB (Irma Group)
  47. Dove - Cymande (Sanctuary)
  48. Be Thankful - William De Vaughn (K-Tel)
  49. Gazebo - Johhny Frigo (Luv N' Haight)

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka 2007-05-06 22:56 ]

Lopaca,

We get up to Seattle regularly, but most often on weekends. There's enough of us Northwesterners onlist that it will be worth it to let us know your bookings. If you spin the same stuff on a weekend night, there's a good chance we'll be there.

Great playlist, by the way!

[ Edited by: TikiMaxton on 2003-05-08 21:01 ]

S

awright Seattle tiki kids, what's say we plan a little trip to good ol Ballard!
I'm up for it, just can't stay out too late...
Pea

S

Dagnabit, I just realized tuesdays suck. I'm at work in West Seattle until 9ish, and soon, with summer hours, it will be 10 ish, hmm, I can stay up late one tues. hehehee

Hey Selector Lopaka (SL for short?),

I met you and your lovely wife at the Daily Planet the other weekend. I will try to make it out sometime to hear you spin, since I'm so close and all. Probably not this week since I have a cold (and you may be recovering from the Oasis). Still, it sounds cool, and summer is a great time to be going out during the week. :)

In a thread in Beyond Tiki Humuhum wrote "I know I sound like a broken record, but if you're sitting at home on Tuesday nights in Seattle, you're a fool."

If things go well soon one won't have to go as far north as Ballard to hear Lopaka's skills...

A couple weeks back friends and I were at the Islander and we were really enjoying the mix of music they were playing. The Islander generally plays classic Hawaiian music, one of the aspects that makes it such a pleasant place to hang out, but this was a mix of Hawaiian, classic lounge, and some electronica. We commented to Tracy the manager that we really liked the music and he told us it was a disc this guy who wanted to DJ at the Islander had brought in. "Does he go by Selector Lopaka?" I asked. Tracy said that was the guy. We all gave approval to the notion of Lopaka spinning there and Tracy, who really liked Lopaka's mix, said he was hoping to get Lapoka in there on one of their busy nights. I was in the Islander last Wednesday night and they were again playing Lopaka's disc.

S

So is anything going on on Thursday nights? I'll be there the evening of the 26th with nothing much to do, but scout out tiki haunts.

Aloha y'all. Just wanted to let the world know that my new DJ start time is 6 PM, and I go until 9ish. Happy hour is 5PM - 7PM, and dinner is served until 9:30 PM. The joint was dying off by 10 and it's already dark by 6 at this time of year, so I thought moving my time up makes sense, at least through the winter.

My gig at Fu Kun Wu has unfortunately come to an end. I took the summer off to take some classes, and hoped to return after Labor Day. After checking in with the owner last week, he let me know they did not want to continue with a DJ. I'm sure if I was packing the place out every week it would be a different story. As much as I'm disappointed, I had a 3 year run, and will seek other DJ opportunities in Seattle. I'm very much looking forward to the Tiki Art Now opening, as it will no doubt be the biggest crowd I've ever spun to in Seattle. I also am looking forward to Hukilau where I will be providing musical ambiance on several occasions throughout the weekend. Thanks to everyone who supported me, especially Humuhumu, who gave me shout outs numerous times on her many websites, as well as here on TC.

Mucho Mahalos!

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka 2006-09-10 20:57 ]

all good things must come to an end...and that means new beginnings! i know you'll find another Seattle Gig.. i'm hoping Luau, as i really like the flaming pupu platter!

see you at Roq for the Tiki Art Now 3 Show..

Aloha Kids,

I will be dusting off my turntables, and setting them back up at Fu Kun Wu again. I'll be there Sundays from 6ish to 9ish starting next Sunday 1/28. Happy hour ends at 7. Hope to see you there.

Your Selector Lopaka

D

hey, glad you got a gig! a ray of sunshine for these dreary seattle winter nights! i'll have to check Trader Pup's calendar (his busy dog show career is keeping me busy on weekends!)but we'll be in for some yummy thai food and ear pleasing tunes.

Great news! We'll be there!

Hooray for Selector Lopaka. The best damn exotic DJ in Jet City! Looking forward
to stopping by and digging the scene.

YAY!!!!
I'l try to make it down!
wheeee
Pea

Aloha kids!
OK, I don't want to mess up anyone's schedule here, but I've decided to tweak my DJ night at Fu Kun Wu to just the first Sunday of each month instead of every Sunday. Sooooo, my next night will be, foolishly, April 1. I'll still be starting close to 6, and wind down around 9 or so. Check here for any other updates and activities in the world of Selector Lopaka. Here's a link to the Thaiku/Fu Kun Wu website http://www.thaiku.com/. There's some pretty sweet live jazz at Fu Kun Wu on Wed. and Thurs. eves of each week for you Jet City citizens and visitors.

Many Mahalos,
Your Selector Lopaka

Uh, Hi. I swear I'm not losing it, but I had too much fun tonight spinning at Fu Kun Wu, and I've decided to mess with my DJ schedule once again. I will be at Fu Kun Wu every Sunday night, unless I'm out of town on an adventure or can't miss another something or other. I'll do my best to post info about nights off here, as well as info about other gigs around Seattle and beyond. Thank you and good night.

Your Selector Lopaka

D

sorry we missed your Tribute to Don Ho on Friday ~ i checked your myspace page, but we just couldnt get it together in 2 hours.

keep spinning!

Pages: 1 17 replies