Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anthony Bourdain at Otto's Shrunken Head

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

Anthony filmed a segment for his Travel Channel show No Reservations at Otto's this week so look forward to some national Tiki exposure!
steve/otto's

Congratulations, Steve! Look forward to watching it!

let us know when it airs so we can set dvrs!

i

T

I think the producer mentioned that it was for a holiday show. Anthony was trying to think what would be the most un-holiday thing to do and I guess drinking MaiTais in a Tiki bar came to the top of the list

G

On 2010-07-09 09:04, tastysp wrote:
Anthony was trying to think what would be the most un-holiday thing to do and I guess drinking MaiTais in a Tiki bar came to the top of the list

Funny, that's more or less at the top of my regular holiday list.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2010-07-09 15:14 ]

T

here's a pic of Anthony, The Intoxicating Nell and yours truly

That's an awesome picture. I like how he coordinated the tie with your shirt :wink:. If it's a holiday special, based on the outfit...could it be for Valentine's day? Hope not....that's too far out.

[ Edited by: LoungeShark 2010-07-15 13:35 ]

T

I think it was supposed to be for xmas!

G

Well, don't hold it in. What did he say about the place? What did he drink? How many F-bombs did he drop? :D

B

I love it when he gets trashed on his show! He always seemed more genuine than most - for instance - anyone here actually watch that horrible Hell's Kitchen?! Who REALLY believes that BS anyhow?! But I digress: will it be a show we can watch on the internet 'cause I only have antenna TV and I'd REALLY like to see it?

Can't wait to see this episode! I watch it religiously! Best thing on TV right now!

that and Man Vs. Food.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Agreed!

T

On 2010-07-15 15:17, GatorRob wrote:
Well, don't hold it in. What did he say about the place? What did he drink? How many F-bombs did he drop? :D

I didn't actually stay for the taping just the during the set up. We did chat about the Hawaii Kai and Trader Vics at the Plaza. He had fond memories of both esp. the midget with the epaulets outside Hawaii Kai as well as Jade Island and King Yum. We made him a Volcano Bowl, Mai Tai and a few other drinks.
Nell mentioned at the end of the taping while everybody was cleaning up, she put on some AC/DC on the sound system as she readied for work and Anthony started rockin' out and decided he needed another Tki drink before moving on to their next destination.

Great story! I do believe he has a fondness for Tiki bars. He seemed to have enjoyed himself at La Mariana as well. Looking forward to the episode.

Tiki and Bourdain?
Two great tastes that taste great together!

T

tentative air date for No Reservations feat otto's is Sept 13th. Set your coconut powered DVRs

Any news regarding air date?

TK

very very cool. congrats on becoming a new "must go where tony went" destination.

T

Sorry for the last minute update but the episode feat. Otto's will be on tonight dec 6th at 10pm est

D
dcman posted on Tue, Dec 7, 2010 4:57 AM

Did anyone watch this? What did you think? I love Otto's, but will have to catch a re-run.

dcman

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Dec 7, 2010 6:31 AM

yeah - we caught it - it was good! He's obviously a tikiphile!

Q

It was a pretty small segment, but entertaining none the less. I believe he did a tiki bar segment on a Hawaii episode, as well as purchase a vintage Hawaiian shirt. I've also seen him sport an Avanti reproduction Aloha shirt on another unrelated episode. He seems pretty on board with the tiki bar concept as a vehicle to explore well made, almost forgotten cocktails, but I don't get a really clear read on his views with the culture. At times, he seems to almost mock it, but then again, he does that with just about everything.

Watched it. His "Ultimate Holiday Feast" episode. Included him expressing how his dream was to have thatch and tiki themed bar in his apartment! I think there are some people around here that could hook him up! Punk rock fans will like it as well - wait for the last 10 minutes!

On 2010-12-07 09:04, AlohaStation wrote:
Watched it. His "Ultimate Holiday Feast" episode. Included him expressing how his dream was to have thatch and tiki themed bar in his apartment! I think there are some people around here that could hook him up! Punk rock fans will like it as well - wait for the last 10 minutes!

marky ramone & michael graves; current and past members of jerry only's fake-misfits cover band.

T

Just saw this today it was great!
Love Bourdains show.
This video was on the show and is way cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mCxWWEPVc

T

On 2010-12-07 10:18, exquisitecorpse wrote:

marky ramone & michael graves; current and past members of jerry only's fake-misfits cover band.

:lol: Ha! Yeah, shameful what Jerry's done with the Misfits corpse...

But anyways - just saw the show last night. Awesome! Maybe Anthony will start incorporating tiki into every episode now...

Pages: 1 27 replies