Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mona's in Monte Carlo?

Pages: 1 3 replies

So, I'm going through "The Andy Warhol Diaries" and there are multiple entries for Trader Vic's (at the Plaza) New York. Seems he was a fairly regular there; hanging with Dali, partying with Steve Rubell before going to Studio 54, dining with Bianca (Jagger). You know, the normal stuff. I was looking because I know he had matchbooks, menehune swizzles, a speckled Fog Cutter (not sure what else... what didn't he collect?) But all that's a post for another day.

Anyway, on Thursday, July 10, 1980 (hey wait...today's 7/10!) he was in Monte Carlo for a joint exhibition of his and Jamie Wyeth's work:
"I did an interview for Time Magazine, and then we went to this restaurant that looks just like Trader Vic's, called Mona's."

Seems he would know, but is one sentence in a diary enough to go on in finding a new place?
I've googled, but come up with nothing.
Anyone have more about Mona's?

Name:Mona's
Type:Restaurant

Description:
"Looks just like Trader Vic's"

V

Interesting. I've never heard of that place, and I know Monte Carlo, my brother having worked there, I visited often. I will also look for more info on that restaurant...

I read about a club "Polynesian" in Monte Carlo, but that would have been back in the late 60's or so.

Maybe the Polynesian morphed into Mona's by 1980?

Pages: 1 3 replies