Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Looking for a slack key player (or other Hawaiian musicians) for Hermosa beach party

Pages: 1 9 replies

S

Hi Tiki-Centralites!

My office is hosting their annual beach party in Hermosa on August 13. We are renting 2 rooms at the Beach House and then spilling out onto the sand. We're thinking of doing a "Brady Bunch - Hawaii Bound" theme this year and would love to have some LIVE ENTERTAINMENT (last year, we had a steel drum player). Technically, Hermosa has a "no amplified music on the beach" law which lets out the full surf band experience. But, the guy last year played along with a kind of karaoke machine and we didn't get in trouble.

We were thinking of getting a slack key player, but I have to admit I don't know any personally. We also can't pay HUGE amounts of cash for this...probably in the $300-ish range (plus booze).

UPDATE: Thanks to Lucas and Mitch, I've expanded my options...doesn't HAVE to be slack key (just my original thought), but the budget doesn't get much larger. I might have a little wiggle room with the finance guys, but not much. I do plan on making mai tais, however!

Any recommendations?
Thanks!

[ Edited by: spycygrl 2010-07-13 11:58 ]

TM

For future reference, when it comes to the whole "brady Bunch goes to Hawaii" feel, there really is only one choice:

http://www.myspace.com/thesmokinmenehunes

Contact me via PM, and I will direct you to the Ukelele player, Pat Enos, who specializes is playing solo ukelele performances. Trust me, if you liked the song that Don Ho sang (Sweet someone) on that classic brady episode, you are gonna want Uncle Pat.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-07-12 19:26 ]

T

Here Hear...Pat is the man

K

Hi! This is Mitch Chang and I produce the annual SoCal Slack Key Festival in Redondo Beach (Jeff/BigTikiDude always attends). I play slack key guitar and my good friend Jim "Kimo" West does as well. I live in Redondo Beach and I'd love to do it! Hopefully Kimo (who also lives in LA) will be available too (he's currently on tour with "Weird" Al) and if he is, he can also play steel guitar and I can also play ukulele and we can trade off. We do a lot together and can even bring a sound system if that will help.

If it's slack key that you originally wanted, we are pretty much the only ones around who play slack key professionally and we are here for you! Looking forward to hearing from you! 562-556-4824

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I sure wish our budget would allow the Smokin Menehunes to play...but, alas, we have to save budget for drinks (read: mai tais).

Mitch and Lucas: I've sent you both PMs! Looking forward to chatting with you about this potential gig.
Hmm...maybe Mitch and Uncle Pat can play together??? Then you both get the gig!
:wink:

M

The Smokin Menehunes are a good bet as they have a steel guitarist, and everybody knows the party goes up a notch when steel guitar is in the mix.

Mitch and Pat know each other, and they both know Kimo West. I suggest you try and hire both Mitch AND Pat, that way you have the best of both worlds. Mitch is an outstanding slack key player, and Pat specializes in weddings, corporate events, etc....plus, it's a different type of Hawaiian music that Pat plays (More like old-school Hawaiian).

PS, Mitch has played with the Smoking Menehunes before, at the Catalina Fish Kitchen. The Hawaiian groups are all a small community, and we basically all know each other (or at least have heard of each other).

S

On 2010-07-13 12:53, lucas vigor wrote:
I suggest you try and hire both Mitch AND Pat, that way you have the best of both worlds.

If I can, I WILL!

I wish more tiki people would get into Slack Key Guitar.
just as relaxing as Exotica and Lap Steel in my book.

Jeff(btd)

B
Bau posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2010 8:15 AM

I love playing Ki ho 'alu, it very beautiful and fun music, very healing and good for the soul. :)

Unfortuntely I'm on the East Coast. :(

Pages: 1 9 replies