Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Leeteg Authentic Copy on Ebay

Pages: 1 5 replies

I have this same one if you look in the velvet thread .I don't know about price,
however this one looks to be in as good of condition as mine with all the authentic
Barney Davis gallery papers and labels .The Hina Rapa is one the most well known
work of Leeteg ,and one of the more sought pieces...copy or original.

BTW this guy angler805 posted this five days ago and joined TC at the same time .Looks like
he got no responses so he just threw out a high price .

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37094&forum=12&0

I was just down on antique row on Fair Oaks in Pasadena yesterday and saw one for sale for $450. I can't remember the store's name, but it's on the East side of the street just north of the large multi-level antique mall. It was hung on the right side of the store as you walk in and was labeled "Chi Chi".

M

Hi I’m new to the forum and after doing a “SEARCH” this looked like the place I should respond to, if not, please let me know.

I have a couple of questions about the copy being offered on eBay by “angler805”.
On the painting it bears the signature, "Leeteg", below that the word "Tahiti" and below that, in the same style printing and in same color paint, the word "Copy". There is nothing on the front or back, that I can see, that would indicate who made the copy.
On the back is the embossed Davis Gallery Tag and an additional paper tag that says "TITLE: Hina Rapa" and below that it says "NUMBER:" and the number "2". Below that it says: “This is an authentic COPY of one of Leeteg of Tahiti most popular BLACK VELVET masterpieces… It then explains cleaning instructions an ends with the Davis Gallery logo, 910 ALA MOANA BLVD., Honolulu 14 Hawaii, NO COPYING PERMITTED……………………, Exclusive International Headquarters for Leeteg of Tahiti Black Velvet Paintings.
I’m guessing that if this is just a copy from some unknown artist it is at least an old one and was commissioned by or at least authenticated by Davis Galley, what ever that might mean. I read that Leeteg painted 24 or so copies of Hina Rapa after he sold the first one. Does anyone know how they were signed? Would the copies Leeteg painted have the word “Copy” or would they all be considered originals? Why would this particular copy be designated as “NUMBER: 2” on the “authentic copy” label? Any idea what an “Authentic Copy” would mean?
Any light that could be shed on this particular copy would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Maui09

Actually, the phrase "authentic copy" gave me a good laugh. Right up there with "genuine reproduction" in the land of confusion. Artists often create editions of a print, which are typically numbered as such -- "2/10" for two of ten prints, artist proof (AP), etc. They may also create a series of variant works in an edition, related by subject. Think of impressionist paintings the same subject produced at different times of the day, etc.

A copy, "authentic" or not, is just that - a copy made by another's hand rather than that of the original artist. And unless it is an "authorized" copy/edition, it suggests it may have been made without the artist's permission. Authorized copies, whether limited in number or unlimited in mass-production, are common in any medium.

I can only imagine the word "authentic" here is being (mis-)used where one would expect the word "authorized" to appear, suggesting the artist gave formal permission for others to print, paint, or otherwise fabricate copies of the original work.

GK

Pages: 1 5 replies