Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Coon Tiki III, Benzarts carving class, 05/2011, Be There?

Pages: 1 19 replies

B

From Swanky and Benzart
Hey folks,
We are trying to pick a date for Coon Tiki next year in Townsend, TN. We are wanting May, but are asking for your opinions on the date.

Would you be more likely or less likely to attend if it were on Memorial Day weekend, as opposed to the weekend before? Check it
out onFaceBook

FACEBOOK

[ Edited by: Benzart 2010-07-17 06:09 ]

P
phinz posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 8:11 PM

I'll be there regardless of the dates. If it's after May 22nd I have another three weeks of vacation time to play with, but I'll be there come hell or high water.

B

Thanks phinz, sounds like we might have a good bit of fun!

Conga love Townsend area....Conga love tiki carvers.....sounds like I'd
be there regardless of weekend.

S

Rentals might be a little cheaper the week before, but, if more people would show up on Memorial Day weekend, that's the ticket!

T

Man the last one was GREAT!
And I'm not a carver.
So if I can make it I will.
Can't just take off like I used to.

Trevor has been driving me crazy about when am I going to send him to that carving class. If you do Coon Tiki again, the two of us will be there. I'll be drinking, he will be carving.

B

Looking good guys,, Conga, it would be Great to see you there.

Swank, I'm up for either date, which ever it will be easier to get away from work on.

T-Skip, Yeah. we DID have a Ton of fun, lets do it again..

SouthBama tiki's, C'Mon up?

S

Memorial Day weekend allows for more options. Do the class and have time left to do other things in the area for a day. The Hideaway is a happy host to the peeps who show up. Maybe we do a nice luau as part of the end of it at our house or something. We can see what attendees want to do. Folks might rather go over to Gatlinburg or some other thing.

Our house to Nawger Nob is about 45 minutes. If you have a camper, there is a fantastic RV park near there. One of the top rated in the country. Lots of options for cabin rentals.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2010-07-16 07:05 ]

Is this some sort of Floridian timewarp? May 2010 was two months ago!
I'm so :-?

B

Yeaah, thanks 4wheel, my bad. Looking better every day

School finishes up May 25, so I'll be free to travel after that. If it's Memorial weekend, we're in! Hope to see y'all there. I'll watch to keep updated.
SBT

S

On 2010-07-17 13:00, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
School finishes up May 25, so I'll be free to travel after that. If it's Memorial weekend, we're in! Hope to see y'all there. I'll watch to keep updated.
SBT

Sounds like we have clear choice. Memorial Day weekend. I will see if I can get it on their calendar confirmed.

Now, Ben, what are you going to teach????

B

TEACH, You mean I Gotta Teach???
What do you all want to learn,, what do you want to carve.
What carving tools do you have, What, realistically can you do that I can help you do better?
What kind of Fun do you want to have??
Which media would you like to Jump into, Bone, wood, stone, Jade????

FACEBOOK

[ Edited by: Benzart 2010-08-11 05:49 ]

I am not into carving, this will be Trevor's birthday present. He would be interested in most any carving, but he would prefer wood or stone, probably. I don't think he has many tools at this point. What should he get before then? Ultimately, he would like to be able to carve really tall Moais, but he needs a starting point. I plan to just enjoy the results of his carving :)

B

A Moai sounds good to me in wood, around 10 to 12 " tall. Anyone have any thoughts.
Maybe a Lono or Ku or what else???

P
phinz posted on Wed, Aug 11, 2010 4:18 PM

I'm a big Ku fan...

S

I have the dates set for May 28-29th of 2011 at Nawger Nog in Townsend, TN.

I'll send a message out to the emails I have from previous events.

We intend to host everyone at the Hideaway either before on Friday night or after on Sunday night. We'll figure it out as we get closer and people have their plans set.

If anyone wants to rent a cabin and get people to share it, we can help coordinate that. There are lots of great rentals in that area. Plenty of side trips too depending on your interests.

If anyone gets a nice big cabin up there, and is willing, we'll set up a "home base" there and we can all hang out, mix drinks and talk story. My home is a bit too far for that. It may be possible for us to get the cabin we used at Coon Tiki I for that. We'll see.

Class is limited to 12 students. Be sure to email me if you want to be kept up to date.

This is a WELL DESERVED "Bump!"

The first Coon Tiki was a Blasty-Blast and if there's a way for me to figure out how to make this time, I'd be there all ready!

Sign-Up Today; You're gonna Love It!

S

Ooops! Sorry I never updated this!

Ben's health caused this to be cancelled for this year.

Ben was feeling very chipper after a new treatment a bit ago and was hoping for the best and a possibility of doing the Coon Tiki thing. I also talked to Marcus Thorn about participating. So, we are looking at next year as a possibility. Hope Ben is well enough to do it, whether we do it or not!

Pages: 1 19 replies