Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ruth Taylor Cartographs/Pictographs - Info?

Pages: 1 4 replies

L

I searched on the forums and see that no one has posted pics of these. I am thinking due to age they must be pretty rare.

4 cartographs by Ruth Taylor White. According to Google these sell for about $100-$150 per piece.

They are from the 1930s, approximately 14 1/4 x 11 inches

On each of Hawaii, Oahu, Kauai & Maui

"A Cartograph that's drawn to my days and nights of adventure in the Island of Hawaii". Cities, rivers etc are named with little pictographs indicating the industries and activities of the area.

Has anyone ever seen these? Own them? Let me know!(Oh and sorry for the wonky pics. If you want clearer ones I can try to take some more!)

On 2010-07-14 11:00, leleliz wrote:

4 cartographs by Ruth Taylor White. They are from the 1930s.

There is a 5th one in the series that shows the entire Hawaiian Island chain. I did use that one in "Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs." Ruth was quite prolific and made many cartographs of other states as well. She had a decent career in Hollywood during the silent and early talkie era. She appeared in the 1928 silent version of "Gentlemen perfer Blondes."

Very cool Liz! Congrats on those!

On 2010-07-14 18:18, Phillip Roberts wrote:

There is a 5th one in the series that shows the entire Hawaiian Island chain. I did use that one in "Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs." Ruth was quite prolific and made many cartographs of other states as well. She had a decent career in Hollywood during the silent and early talkie era. She appeared in the 1928 silent version of "Gentlemen perfer Blondes."

The fifth one was used in a 1930s Childrens Atlas.

I know this because I have just had the page framed for my bar (and the rear side had info on one of the US States on the reverse)

It also has Samoa on the same page...

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2010-07-15 13:52 ]

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2010-07-15 15:11 ]

L

Thanks for the extra info!

I have been searching the internet and to find these in good condition seems rare.

Wish I had a scanner..the images are great and my shoddy photography skills dont do much for them .

Pikey's Dog thank you for sharing your framed piece also!

Pages: 1 4 replies