Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Lot of Hawaiian Stereoscopic Viewer Cards (Over 35)

Pages: 1 6 replies

L

I have this huge lot of stereoscopic viewer cards that all feature images of Hawaii .

Whether it be a building, people or the landscape they are all different (some dups after the 35 count)

They are dated from the late 1800s to the early 1900s

Does anyone collect these? I don't recall seeing anyone post any so if you do please feel free to make me an offer...

I know on Ebay they sell from $9.99 to $50.00+ per card so I will list them all individually on there is someone does not want to buy them in one lot on here.

Thanks y'all!

Very cool collection! Did you hit a great sale or are you thinning your collection? My dad used to have one of those viewers. Good stuff!

those are fantastic! try this trick to see them in 3D without a viewer. Slowly cross your eyes and concentrate on the center image..... kind of like looking at those magic eye posters....... pretty soon your eyes will focus on the combined images to reveal the 3D shot....... it's pretty trippy!

Based on what I see, I'm guessing there is no Tiki on any of those. But please, correct me if I'm wrong and show me what I missed! Nevertheless, still great stuff.

L

I have a pretty big box of these and although some are duplicates they are all pretty interesting.

I actually have one of the viewers as well but I tried your viewing trick Suburbanpagan and it worked just fine :P

edited for omission of rudeness by myself towards Hakalugi

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-07-17 21:38 ]

T

Looks like a nice bunch of stereo cards...
All either Keystone or Underwood & Underwood.
The ones that you have usually came in box sets... like Keystone's "Tour Of The World"
From what I have read, there was an Underwood & Underwood series of cards on The Hawaiian Islands and The Phillipines that was put out about 1908.
(probably where your Underwood & Underwood cards come from) That set had 100 cards in it, and a 1991 price guide listed it at $300-$400
The same price guide has individual Hawaiian cards listed... Most individual cards listed after 1893 (the year that the Hawaiian Islands were annexed by the US) were shown as $1-$5 with one card (Keystone 10686) listed $10-$12.
pre-1893 cards went for slightly more from $5-$30. Most of these earlier views were sold to missionary societies back on the mainland.
Keep in mind the prices listed were from 1991. I'm not sure what they would go for these days... :wink:

Also, a neat thing to note is that the curve on the Keystone cards that people sometimes mistake for a warping due to time and heat is actually one of their trademarks... The curve is supposed to reduce glare on the cards to make them easier to view.

L

Tikigoob I appreciate all the information on these.

I will have to take a look at all of them to see who manufactured them now. I know many have numbers on them like they were part of a larger set

I listed 2 sets of 15 cards each on Ebay..I would like to get rid of them so maybe in doing so someone will get a bargain. Going rate for an item and what someone will pay seems to be such a discrepancy sometimes. Maybe I should list them seperately?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180534195463&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-07-17 21:44 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies