Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New shrunken head painting done on vinyl

Pages: 1 9 replies

Just wrapped this one up yesterday, already started another one.
Unfortunately all I have to take a photo of it with right now is my cellphone.
I'll post some better photos once I get my camera back, and maybe a couple more paintings done.

Cool, looks scarily realistic :D

Oh Yeah!!

Just wrapped another one, still don't have my good camera though.

So I've done a few more since the last time I was on this site. It's been a while.

Even had them in an art show here in Detroit.

Oh! Now I get it! Those are painted on vinyl as in old records. I was thinking vinyl as in upholstry fabric :lol: Are all the pieces in the show yours or was it a show of artists painting on vinyl? Now I see the hole in the center and the grooves.

I like the 4th one with the Einstein hair :D

No, it was a show of several artists from all over the world. All the entries had to be done on records of some sort. There were actually some pretty elaborate glued, melted bolted together pieces.
And thanks for the compliment on Einstein. I actually painted that one without thinking about it, then looked at it the next day and thought, "Holy crap that looks like Albert! Nice."

Nice I really dig the yellow head one with what looks like water droplets all around it, and the one with the red spatters behind it.

Curious... what kind of paint can you use on vinyl to make it stick? Wouldn't acrylic just peel right off, or do the grooves end up making it form a bond or something?

I usually just use acrylic. However I almost always spray paint the entire album first. The spray paint seems to adhere pretty well, and then the acrylic seems to adhere to the spray paint pretty well. I have had a few occasions where I just could not get the paint to stick, usually on older records. In all honesty, I don't know how well these will hold up over the years, but they seem to be alright so far.

Pages: 1 9 replies