Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis III Aftermath & Pics!

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies

Aloha TC Ohana! Let me be the first to say Tiki Oasis III KICKED ASS! What a great time it was. The entertainment was top-notch and the Tropics' Reef bar is coming back to life thanks to the efforts of Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al!

Thanks to all who made this happen! Can't wait till next year. Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics.

Yeah! What a great event. Otto and the rest of the sponsors really did a nice job. Thanks to everybody who bought my stuff and gave me good ideas for more products. See you at the next local tiki event (southern CA).
Peace

Ras Vegas

HH

ugh ,my f*#kn head!

I had a blast, cant wait to see some pics, If you think I had an ugly pic from SF-crawl just wait for Migs pic!HA HA HA, Anyways I'm gonna post mine in a few, it takes way to much effort to do it or anything today.

Thanks a bunch to all ,cant wait to see you all again soon, much love from da 9th island.

Sad I missed out, but glad it was fun!

H

Tiki Oasis was everything I thought it would and WAY WAY MORE. Good god, that was a great time. I feel so lucky to have come across this wacky community. Al & Martin, major thanks for the superior mixing, without which the event would have had a serious hole. What's up with the Caliente, couldn't they have done a quick brush-up-your-skills clinic with the bartenders the week before the event? Oh well, their loss.

It was so much fun to meet all of you (and a bit trippy to be seeing your faces in 3-D). A warning: some of the Tiki Centralites have become distubingly good with Photoshop, don't believe everything you see if someone happens to post some incriminating pics of me involving a gorilla.

Tiki III was a blast!! But what was up with the LAME bartending?? I ordered a pina colada and I swear to God they put sweet and sour and triple sec in it!!! I saw it with my own eyes!! May the soul of Donn Beach forgive him!!!

This year's Oasis was as good as I hoped it would be - jackassery in full bloom. Last year's drunken singalong was the highlight of the event. We were still getting acquainted at that time in TC's history. It was amazing to be sequestered with many other people who appreciated Polynesian Pop and the facets of the midcentury aesthetic. They knew (sort of) the hapa haole hits and weren't afraid to belt 'em out as they quaffed prodigious quantities of the yield from the mixologist's shaker.

None of that has changed, but since then we have shared a lot of adventures. We returned this weekend ready for another round with our "old" friends and some new ones.
I enjoyed seeing the cars pull into the Caliente one by one on Friday and all you beloved reprobates "load in" for the festivities! We had the place all to ourselves and that is a lot better than when you stay at a big hotel and just happen upon each other in the coffee shop. It was like having our own tiki neighborhood.

Friday night was a big party night, yet Saturday was the main event. Saturday morning, the TCers stirred to life (hung over), visited each other in their rooms and braced for the day ahead. The exotica began to waft from the pool before long and it was time to go shopping.

We wanted tiki and the organizers assembled a collection of the best vendors imaginable to fill the need. Idols, t-shirts, key chains and mugs all called out to us. Munktiki was in the house and they were swamped. The House of Tiki mug made its debut as well as the official Caliente Tropics mug.

Thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, Casey, Charlie, Bax and all those who worked so hard to create this event. And what about those BANDS? It was a great time. We got a room party busted up by the police, saw a beyootiful wedding and gorilla warfare. I will have to get to work on my video captures...

Mahalo's to all! Wow! What a great time!

Err...and how was I?

It was your best yet :wink:

Rockin' good time. I just wish we'd got there earlier on friday to catch more of the bands. We didn't get out of San Diego until almost 3:30 (my fault this time) so we hit massive rush hour traffic on 15. Got to our hotel at about 6:30 and we're told our reservation had been cancelled due to some kind of computer glitch and our room was given away to someone else. Upon hearing this I copped major attitude and told the kid working the front desk "Well I hope you don't live too far away from here, because if we don't get a room, we're going to be staying at your house tonight!" After about a half an hour of screwing around we got a room and then unloaded luggage, set up camp and off to Caliente in time to catch project pimento. Totally bummed we missed APE both days! Saturday's schedule went right out the window for some reason. Congrats to Mr & Mrs Tikibot. We had a great time and can't wait for Tiki Oasis IV. Mahalo to all who contributed to this event.

Alooooooooooha!

Thanks to the tribe and all the voiunteers that made the event such a success.

I'm enjoying another night at the Caliente.

You rock!

A

What a great weekend. The highlights.

1. Tikibot's wedding. Richard and Gretchen were the perfect Tiki Bride and Groom. At the end of the service we pelted them with Beach balls.
  2. Some guy in a gorilla suit was wandering around. This was clearly a intrusion into Migs turf, so mig doned the Gorilla X Armour and did Gorilla Warfare. Mig jumped him in the pit at Ape then the TC crowd dogpiled on the gorilla pretender.
  3. Dr. Z fell asleep with his Hotel room door opened. Someone painted his toenails.
  4. Ape, Chery Capri, Lushy, Project Pimento, King Kukelele, The Maikai Gents, Formikahini's band and the Burlesque Ladies.
  5. The cops breaking up the party in 135.
  6. The Tropics itself. what a great place.
  7. Shelley"s 100 Tiki necklaces. She made Tikis and passed them out to everyone.
  8. Shag and Otto's visit to 135.
  9. A certain Good looking Tiki couple being propositioned for a four way by Palm Springs Locals. (And NO it was not Bax and Bong doing the propositioning.)
  10. Atomic Cocktails brilliant Sven impersonation. Just fabulous.
  11. Big Ed gave me a Tiki.

I want to thank: Otto, Crazy Al, The Baxdog, The CT, Bamboo Ben, Mrs. Ben, Mahalo Marc, Bamboo Judy and all the performers.

And special thanks to the contributers to the bar in 135. Atomic Cocktail, Vintage Girl, Tiki Bob, Richard and Gretchen, Tiki Bong , Flaoratina, and the rest who came by for a drink.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2003-05-12 09:27 ]

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2003-05-12 22:25 ]

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2003-05-18 11:45 ]

Can you all type LOUDER, both my ears are plugged and I can't hear a darned thang!

Thanks to Otto and all who did the work for the weekend. Dagnabbit, it didn't last half as long as it should. Must have been a great party as BOTH my kidneys hurt this morning. The effects of the 'fallout' shall be felt for years.

Thanks to Alnshely, Flora, etc for being such gracious and generous host of 135. Thanks to Bong for his insightful witticism, to Shag for letting put my foot in my mouth once again. Thanks to Cherry and CB-I won't tell, to the Spirit of Sventiki "Ich flog gerade hier aus Deutschland und meine Arme sind müde!" Thanks to all, the chicks, all the drunks, Gorilla-X, Mom and Pop-X...and Vintagegirl. If I forgot anyone, blah, blah, blah.

On 2003-05-12 09:07, Alnshely wrote:

A certain Good looking Tiki couple being propositioned for a four way by Palm Springs Locals.

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2003-05-12 09:27 ]

Did they ask for the "Missionary Position"? Get it? Hey, I think I have pics of that 'event'!

Last and not least, I want to thank the Great God RUM! COMMAND ME!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-12 10:09 ]

M

Everyone- Please make use of the Tiki Oasis III folder, located in the Tiki Events section of the Photo Archive. Let's get all the shots in the same place for this event. Read the instructions and caption well.

One hell of a great weekend,

-martin

I had the best time. Al and Shelley, you guys ruined me Friday night. By the end of the night I was no good to no one for nuthin'. The Oasis was everything promised and much much more.

Got to see all the favorites like APE, and The Mai Kai Gents, but was also intorduced to the likes of Closieux (hope I'm spelling that right)

Wow, the Tiki Oasis photo album has already been viewed 52 times and there's not even anything in there yet. Must be some pretty eager people awaiting those pics.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2017-04-03 07:49 ]

How fun was it to see face to face some of the folks whose names only I had known before! Funniest about that was hearing how wrong we'd been in some cases. E.g., I'd thought Sugarcaddydaddy was a big blonde white guy - big surprise to learn he's actually a tall skinny Jamaican guy with dreads (not!). Ok, a dark latino hottie with a cool pompadour. And Doctor Z had me pegged as a "short with long brown hair" - HA! What, like a Marian the Librarian type? I never asked you about that one, Doctor Z!! Needless to say, I don't think I've ever been described as the mousy type EVER.

Favorite moments - well, discression forbids me from telling some of the goings-on, but let's just say I'm crossing my fingers that some folks got a good photo of a brief Humuhumu sandwich (ok, fully clothed) involving a certain Celebrity Simian and a Famous Farmer. I want that as my screensaver!

I may have had my most dancing fun in The Millionaire's Dance Fever Party. GREAT tunes and purely wacky dancing from everyone!

Huge thanks first and foremost to Otto for getting my band on the bill, for finding another slot for us on Saturday afernoon when noise ordinances required us to cut our Friday night set short, and for getting a mixing board big enough for our ridiculously huge group!! All of my Clouseaux bandmates are now fully comprehending just what this "tiki thing" is that the rest of us have been pushing! What better baptism by fire is there than a full-on event like Oasis!

(The drunk, obnoxious chick who was heckling King Kukulele almost got a REAL fire baptism when she wouldn't get out of the f***ing way when John our firebreather was working!!)

And all the wonderful darlings who worked so hard, I thank all of you:

-the tireless Mateo Brown, who NEVER stopped working it seemed, except to say something sweet
-Casey, Richard and John at the front desk, who made my stay such a pleasure at the Tropics (again)
-Bax Dog (and Crazy Al?), who decorated the BEST looking stage on which I will probably ever perform
-the great gate volunteers, without whom it would get completely out of hand
-the always hospitible Al and Shelly

• the Mai Kai Gents, Cherry Capri and the Thurston Howlies, King Kukulele, the lovely Ginger and Frenchie (wow!), Project Pimento (LOVE the theremin!), Lushy, the amazing Ape, and all the people who bought the music by any/all of the bands!! We need your support, and we're all very grateful for it!
  • all the great vendors (and whoever was in charge of them (Holden?)). I LOVED spending my money with you all! And every one of my beautiful new mugs made it home safely.

I'm sure I'll add to this list of thank you's!

[ Edited by: formikahini on 2003-05-12 16:29 ]

Poured myself in the car and pointed it towards OC. Will post my PICS later.
What a smashing good time!!

Can't wait until Tiki Oasis IV.....

Thank you all for making Tiki Oasis 3 possible! A Great time! Great People! Great Fun and Music!

Aloha! thanks to everyone for making my wedding to Mr. Pineapple (aka Tiki-Bot) so fabulous!
We had a great one and a half day honeymoon in fabulous Palm Springs and now we get on with our happily ever after! Tiki-Bot will be posting pictures sometime in the next 48 hours.
Aloha and Mahalo
Mrs. Pineapple (aka Mrs. Tiki-Bot)

Nothing in Tiki Events Tiki Oasis III 2003, nothing, nada, zip, come on get yer asses in gear.

On 2003-05-12 13:06, suicide_sam wrote:
. Al and Shelley, you guys ruined me Friday night. By the end of the night I was no good to no one for nuthin'.

Now, now Sam, no complaining. Remember, you were the designated drunk! :o :tiki: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :tiki: :P

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-12 19:26 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-12 22:46 ]

T

TB is back in his hut on the East Coast.

Boy or boy! I had a blast! I will try to get some pics up soon.

Great to see everyone. Especially the volcanic virgins that made this their first "time."

Thanks to all involved. More later.

Tiki Bob

P.S. Did anyone get any pics of my lobster solo with APE?

HH

Great pics, wish I could have made it...maybe next year.
I noticed the Coconut Joe's Island Taxi, it's from here in Bakersfield, usually parked in front of the Getaway Cafe. Is the owner a TC member?

Patrick McNeal

[ Edited by: biotron2000 on 2003-05-13 09:17 ]

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2003-05-13 09:18 ]

Ok, here's my handful of pics. As usual, still torn between my digital and film cameras so I only got the 2nd half of the event on digital. Hopefully more to come later from the film camera.

https://tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/oasis2003?&page=1

All in all, I think this year was even better than last year. All the bands were fantastic. Loved seeing different musicians play with different bands. Feels like a big ol' family jam. Also loved seeing everyone out in their best tiki attire. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen and to all the old and new friends we met along the way.

Baxdog, thanks for taking care of those cigar smokers on Friday night. Glad to have finally met HumuHumu in Al & Shelly's room. Love those shoes, Humu! Thanks to Al & Shelly for their endless hospitality (i.e. booze). Al, you are the Master of Mixing. Gorilla X for chasing Miss Trixie around the stage. (So sorry to have missed the gorilla warfare.) Futura Girl and CB Howlie for the Chill-Out room, in which we had a great jam on Saturday night. Ginger Goldmine for her fabulous birdcage act. Hukilau Brown & CB Howlie for performing the Invokation of the Spirit of Sven. (Sometimes you just have to resort to drastic voodoo measures to get some people to the Tiki Oasis.) Our hosts Alex & Lauren at Terrazo for a splendid stay and fine cuisine. Atomic Cocktail for our new wardrobe selections and "much, much more". And of course, thanks to Otto for making the event happen in the first place.

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2003-05-13 00:09 ]

I'm finially starting to feel good again after the debotchery of the Oasis. I like you people. You're pretty fun. Here are the pictures that I took.

go to the 'news' section
http://www.kikatiki.com

These pics are great! Did anyone get a pic when the cops came to 135? I noticed some flash bulbs popping at about the time they were trying to get Bong in handcuffs...

Hey all! I have a slow computer, so if you just can't wait to see my CT pics, here they are!

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33ec67be45d

On 2003-05-13 07:56, PolynesianPop wrote:
These pics are great! Did anyone get a pic when the cops came to 135? I noticed some flash bulbs popping at about the time they were trying to get Bong in handcuffs...

At around 2:30am (?), the cops come into room 135 and shout "who's room is this?", to which we all stare blankly like a bunch of high schooler's that just got caught smoking in the bathroom.

After no reply from the drunken crowd, the cop says "allright, then you all must be trespassing".

At that point I raised my hand, with Mai Tai attached, and said "it's my room". They hone in on me, the DARE program dropout, and one cop asks "what's your name?" as he is staring at my name badge with "Bong" on it.

They tell us to keep it down immediatly! So the group beating on the drums and ukulele stop; the cops walk out and the music immediatly starts again; they come back in the room looking a bit annoyed and scream "I said STOP THE NOISE"; the group beating on the drums and ukulele stop; the cops walk out and the music immediatly starts again; the cops charge back in as thought Osama Bin Laden is mixing Mai Tais and scream "turn it off or it's a $500 fine!".

FU Pigs!

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-05-13 09:40 ]

I thought the C. Tropics was sold out to the Oasis group? Who was complaining? The bar closed early, and someone called the cops?????

The wifey and I had a great time. The Caliente Tropics is groovy and eveybody was really nice, no bad vibes.
I was hoping that the turntables would be by the pool, but it was fun hobnobbing with all the bands by the stage (which were top notch by the way, really entertaining!).
I couldn't hear anything through the headphones so sorry if I had a couple of rough cue ups. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Pineapple liked thier "Fantastica" song.
We got some good drinks at the bar, although it was pure chaos. I got fairly sloshed quick and had fun lounging around the pool watching Crazy Al pummel people with beachballs.
I took about 150 photos and will get them posted later. Everyone was looking really authentic and perfect.
We never made it to the famous room 135, in fact we left before the Dive-In movie, we were pretty drunky and had a big Mother's Day Sunday planned with our mom's so we split.
Thanks again to Otto for inviting me to play my .25 records.

T

Hey, I heard that when the cops busted in the room they told you guys to turn your shirts down!..... rimshot

Hellloooo is this thing on? :wink:

But seriously folks, I love all the photos and wished I could've been there. You guys sure know how to have a good time!

T

A big giant MAHALO! to everyone that put on the Tiki Oasis and helped make the wedding of Mr & Mrs Pineapple a most memorable occasion. We had a great time all around and were thrilled with the friendliness and generosity of all the wonderful folks there. First & foremost I wanna thank the wonderful Mrs Pineapple herself for even agreeing to marry me, and then indulging my kooky idea to elope to the Oasis. Thanks to Otto for throwing the best tiki party this side of...anywhere! and for letting us get hitched there. Other people, more than I can list here, deserve big shout-outs for all their kind help, powerful drinks and good wishes. Some of those are The Reverend Miss Kitty Nitro & Jeff, The Mai Kai Gents & Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo, AlnShelly, Martiki & Rebecca, Baxdog & family, PolyPop, Mig, Bong, Captain Ambience, Baby Doe, Bamboo Ben, SugarCaddyDaddy and family, Trader Pup, Hula Hula, Hukilau Brown, the truly amazing folks from Munktiki, Holden from Tiki Farm, and if I'm forgetting anyone else I sincerely apologize. We absolutely loved the beach ball barrage, too. We had an amazing trip and don't remember the last time we aere so sad to leave a place. It was much too little time spent with so many great people.

We are planning an East Coast reception party in July for Gretchen's family and would like to put together a movie for them to watch. We have about 20 minutes of mostly ceremony footage, so if anyone has more footage of the ceremony or especially any of the other events, bands, gorilla brawls, room parties, etc, they can let me borrow, I'd really appreciate it.

I posted a few pics on the archive page and will post a full page of my own soon. I can't believe a gorilla ravaged my wife!

Again, thanks to everyone for such a great weekend and for so many wonderful wedding memories.

Richard
(Tiki-bot, aka Mr Pineapple)

Tiki-bot

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-05-13 14:46 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-05-13 14:49 ]

Tiki III was awesome!! My wife and I had a great time and meet some new tiki geeks as we are new to the "scene". Who was that J.O. walking around the pool with his shorts pulled down?? Nice to meet Summer and Kip after they stole our table next to the pool, we found out we only live about 1 mile from each other-weird!

M

Tiki III was awesome!! My wife and I had a great time and meet some
new tiki geeks as we are new to the "scene". Who was that J.O. walking
around the pool with his shorts pulled down?? ----
That J.O. was BONG, of course!!!!!

M
mig posted on Tue, May 13, 2003 8:22 PM

Yes-- exactly who called the cops was quite a mystery. (I didn't witness it, I turned in just before the bust.) I don't think anybody really knows who called the cops-- unless they called themselves-- but there were murmured suspicions about management being involved in the call.

Our reservation got screwed up for the 2nd year in a row. They did quickly fix it; but putting all of this together with the atrocious bartending, there are still some kinks to work out!

-mig
(sheckyless... boohoo)

On 2003-05-13 10:03, thecardcheat wrote:
I thought the C. Tropics was sold out to the Oasis group? Who was complaining? The bar closed early, and someone called the cops?????

M
mig posted on Tue, May 13, 2003 8:28 PM

Oh, and here are my pictures! Don't have time to add the good ones to the archive, so here's a link:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33ead68a4e3&notag=1

That's not all of them... heh heh heh... I wonder how many mugs I can get in exchange for making sure certain pictures don't get shown!

And check out Reaper, Ozzy, and Big Boy partying at Cabazon.

-mig

L
laney posted on Tue, May 13, 2003 8:45 PM

Mig, those were freakin hilarious! :lol: I love the heads on the bar shot!

I had an awesome weekend!

No need to be too repetitive, but thanks to all who made the Oasis what it is!

I did have a chat with the Tropics management, and they were very pleased with the event. And, they said they didn't call the cops; they do so only in extreme circumstances. They did say that the neighboring community is very bitchy about noise, and the police routinely patrol event sites anyway.

As for the bartending, there's no excuse for that!

The vendors were great, entertainment was top notch, and the gorilla fight was a highlight!

Congrats once again to Mr. and Mrs. Pineapple! Thanks for including us all in your nuptials.

Mig, your parents are so cool! I hope they can make it out next year too!

oh, and Bong, your wife and kids are wondering when you are coming home. Tiki Oasis is over! Go home already!

:tiki:

our album is here:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33ea5d1256e
It includes a shot of the cop car driving away in the dark and the magical Sven

p.s. the fabby pic of Gorilla X getting the girl was by Tiki-bot, not Marsha.

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2003-05-14 17:41 ]

T

OK, here are my photos of the Oasis 3.

I am still swaying to the gentle breezes of the Palm Springs beautiful May weather.

Once again, thanks to all whom were part of this fabulous weekend.

Balmy regards,

TB

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33ea5f0a47f

Thanks for the pics everyone, since I couldn't go, I feel much better now.

Yeah! Those pics are great. So sorry I missed it. Hey Mig, you roll with the the superstars. Good to see Bob, Ozzy and Skelly were enjoying themselves at the Dino-stop .
There is some pretty Funny stuff at Kika-tiki.com too. Hey Lucky, the ukelele jam shot in the infamous room 135 is classic. Your pics are pure comedy. Thanks everyone for posting and keeping Bong out of jail.

Chongolio

T

My wife & I are new to the tiki seen. We went to Mondo Tiki and just got back from Oasis III. What an excellent weekend in the desert. I only have one question in regards to the weekend. What was the deal with the old couple who was popping all the beach balls on Saturday night?

TikiPug, Aloha and Welcome to the tribe!

I saw that couple popping those balls. What happened is the big beach ball fell on the guy and pushed his cap down on his nose. He got pissed! From that point on, he started popping every beachball that came his way. His wife even started a fight with the person sitting in front of them! All this during the first song of Ape's set! They eventually left.

My guess is that they were the ones that called the cops to the 135 party on Friday night.

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies