Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Bar -Is this a good price?

Pages: 1 12 replies

S
S

I noticed this is from a seller in New Orleans. Have you seen this in person? Are you the seller? It's incredible. We've never seen one before, so, the sky is the limit for the price. Who knows what it could go for?

Swanky,

No. I am not the seller. In fact, I thought I knew were everything was in this city. Apparently not. I had never seen their store before clicking on the "about me" eBay feature. I am sure everything is pricey considering the location and the other items they are selling.

It does look like a very nice item though.

L

That would be a nice investment piece. I know many who collect HW exclusively. As far as that seller goes, they have out bid me on several lamps before. I am curious if they find stuff on ebay and resell it in their store. Their prices must be sky high!

C
R

A cool piece that is now at $1250!!!! Which IMO is stupid expensive......unless of course you have money to burn. I guess this designer is very collectable and the things on the site are certainly cool, but some of the rattan items I see going on ebay are incredably over priced. Especially when they are of the older styles. If any of you have been to the Philippines you know that this sort of thing can be made for close to nothing........hmmmm that's a thought, retro Rattiki Rat Pack Era Tiki rattan furnishings from South East Asia. We did ship back a bunch of stone carvings from Bali a couple of years ago to sell to pay for the hand carved teak Balanese tiki house we shipped along with it (we now have it by the pool) and made quite a killing.....hmmm

P

On 2003-05-11 12:53, Cultjam wrote:

http://www.springdalefurnishings.com/florida_room/i449.html

HOLY MOLY!
That is an impressive collection of HW!
Thankfully, although I am into 'midcentury modern', HW isn't quite my cup of tea. The prices for that stuff are mindboggling.

In case anyone else on the board is interested, here's a link I found to a similar store in West Palm Beach Boomerang Modern

L

On 2003-05-12 07:20, Rattiki wrote:
A cool piece that is now at $1250!!!! Which IMO is stupid expensive......unless of course you have money to burn. I guess this designer is very collectable and the things on the site are certainly cool, but some of the rattan items I see going on ebay are incredably over priced. Especially when they are of the older styles. If any of you have been to the Philippines you know that this sort of thing can be made for close to nothing........hmmmm that's a thought, retro Rattiki Rat Pack Era Tiki rattan furnishings from South East Asia.

Never heard of Heywood Wakefield? While the bar is cool, it's that little stamp that makes it $$$$. The blond furniture they made from 1936-1966 is highly collectable! I believe Shag has a beautiful HW dinning set. There are several books on Heywood-Wakefield. I love the sleek, graceful lines (and how some of the tables look like they could walk away) but have way too much clutter to ever try to pull that look off. Like I said it would be a good investment piece but if you're not into HW get a cheep new one with no name or history.

SuzyWong~

As Laney said, HW are good investment pieces.

I personally have never seen very good to near-mint pieces go down in value. As a matter of fact, I've seen HW pieces that were completely refurbished bring in a pretty penny, since some pieces are truly hard to find, and refurbished pieces are sometimes needed in ones collection just to make a set complete!

As for this bar, HW bars are really hard to find, especially in this shape, BUT, I would only buy it at its going rate ONLY if I was a die-hard HW collector. If you like the look of this bar, you could have one of our TC members make one that is similar to it for less than half the price and still have fun with it and not have a heart-attack if it gets bumped or chipped by accident like you would if you purchased this piece.

Remember, YOU are the one that has to live with it. If you like it, buy it, but also keep in mind that if that little HW logo wasn't stamped on it, you would not see the $1200+ price on it.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

M

An HW Dog Bone bed....ooohhhh, my precious. Unfortuantely, I already sold one kidney to pay for the original Carlo painting. So, got to save them pennies, and find some more space.

The bar is ok, not my pick for either a bar, or for a first HW piece. They did so much better stuff.

midnite

C

Totally. For the money, I'd buy the new queen dog bone bed or scrape up the extra pennies for a kneehole desk. What's a couple hundred more?

See also:
http://www.heywood-wakefield.com
http://www.tri-stateantiques.com

Springdale takes a truck load of HW to several modern furniture shows around the US, including Palm Springs and will deliver in the area.

R

laney, no I had never heard of him and I had a thorough look thru the site. The work was impressive for sure, but I have never been one to be impressed by brand names. On the contrary, I developed, designed and marketed stylish figurado cigars during the 90's cigar boom in Las Vegas (and on the net) that I sold for 1/4 the price that other big names did. But I certainly appreciate the original style and strong Rat Pack Era influnce of the work. I think my main and initial point was I see alot of rattan and even bamboo 'Tiki' furnishings going for stupid prices on Ebay and elsewhere at times. One could pay for a vacation to the place of manufacturing and have it custom made for what they get for some of these things, and still have change left over! =-O

I wonder what I could get for hand carved teak tiki bar and rattan stools with faux leopard skin covers? hmmmm

This is a very nice piece indeed. But keep in mind that this is part of the "Ashcraft" line. Heywood Wakefield did not use rattan for their pieces. It seems that rattan was hard to get during and shortly after WWII so HW met the demand for the craze by using round pieces of Ash wood and burning rings around them to look like rattan.
I have a couple of chairs from the line and they're quite interesting.
As for pricing, Ashcraft seems to be treated like the bastard son of HW compared to the ever popular and widely seen blonde Streamline style. But hey, who knows... it's all about the individual.
Aloha
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-05-14 16:36 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies