Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Just getting started here...

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi everyone. New to all of this and not very computer savy. Wanted to get some feedback on my stuff. I've scoped out this site many times, but needed to sign up to post. Most of the carvings I've seen on her show some pretty intimidating talent, and I had to get my nerve up. I have a ton of questions for you guys, if anyone doesn't mind helping a newby out. I need lots of help!

S

Welcome! Some great looking first tikis. I like how you worked with the flow of the
wood and did not fight it. This sight is for you just as much as it is for those of
us who think we know what a tiki is.

T

Great start love the club house!
Welcome to tc any questions can always be answered here
MAHALO!!

Tons of questions? Ask away!
Here's mine for you. Where do you live, what tools do you have, and what kind of wood are you carving?

The curvy one was live oak from a limb off the one in the treehouse photo. The two bar stools are oak also, probably live oak. I am in Jacksonville, FL,
and live oak is common here. Destroys tools though. The tall one is some type of palm, probably cabbage, also common around here.
I usually start with a chainsaw and work my way down to an angle grinder, hand tools if I have to.
I bought a power chisel, saves effort but not really time.

I am working on trying to get a supply of wood. Any suggestions?
I want to carve mostly palms for tikis as it is so much easier.
But I need to get some hardwood for a guy who wants to commission some barstools.
I really want to do some of this as a part-time business. It's much more fun than real work.

I thank all of you for welcoming me.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fatboy 2010-07-21 20:34 ]

Nice to see a local carver im in orange park im just starting out too. Drop me a line like to talk Horace

T

Runnin out of wood? Start calling your local tree trimmers most of the time they will drop thim off for you, just so they dont have to pay to dump'em.

Pages: 1 6 replies