Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Witco chair recovery project....fabric hunt.

Pages: 1 2 replies

I found this Witco chair a couple of weeks ago out in the rural jungles of Michigan. No background history on the chair other than the old gentleman that I got it from had picked it up years ago for his American Indian collection and displayed it with tomahawks and rattles. I wanted to clean up the chair and keep as much of the original paint as possible so this is how it is coming along so far. This is more of a conservation project than a restoration. For a fantastic restoration project of one of these chairs check out Psycho Tiki D's thread here. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36201&forum=18&26 sorry for the bad pics but I hope to get some better outside shots later.

Here are some before pics and the progress shots. This finish of the chair was in bad shape and very dry. I mainly wanted to take care of the years worth of scratches and bring back the original look as well as I could.

I haven't retouched any of the original paint just a careful cleaning.

Nothing had to be done structurally to the chair as these things are built solid as a rock. I still have more finish work to do on it and then the upholstery needs to be addressed. All said this is a fun project and the end result will grace the home bar and make a great addition. Thanks.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-08-12 14:51 ]

found some vintage fabric this weekend to reupholster the chair. I like the pattern allot and the colors are much brighter and crisp than the photos show. This is the first fabric I have found for the chair but hope to find more to choose from before I make a final decision. Thanks for looking.

Looks like bark cloth.I would like a shirt out of that!

Pages: 1 2 replies