Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Ten Rums Everyone Should Have....

Pages: 1 10 replies

J

According to the experts (including Beachbum Berry and Martin Cate):

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/10-rums-everyone-should-have

Interesting article, I love lists. I don't think it's been posted here before.

Thanks for posting that John,
interesting.

Jeff(btd)

how about twisting it up a bit and listing rums everyone should have 10 bottles of?

It´s a pity that the south american stuff is as usually left aside or reduced to El Dorado and Zacapa

Try Diplomatico, Pampero, Malteco and you know what i am talking about.

Those brands outshine most of their caribean counterparts are usually cheaper and are available as premium sipping rums and lower cost mixing rums(diplomatico blanco).

But maybe it has to do with their bad availibilty in the US...

Just my 2 cents

[ Edited by: marcus_at 2010-07-27 11:07 ]

W

I wonder how Tanduay didn't make any of the lists.

Tanduay Primiero 8 is a great, flavorful rum. The 1854 is a gem, too. I can only get these in the Phillipines, though. My last trip, the stellar 15 Anos was nowhere to be found. I bought back 3 cases each of the aforementioned this past June.

[ Edited by: bewarethe151 2010-08-04 19:26 ]

W

Very lucky, I brought a bottle of Tanduay 'Premium Aged' back from the duty free shop in the Manila airport (the only thing good about that airport) Sadly, here on Guam I can't find anyone that stocks the stuff. Didn't realize I could bring cases back. Now I know what I'm doing next trip...

"I could be a professional writer if I put my mind to it. A bitter, angry hack that starts fistfights at cocktail parties- I could do that job."
-Daria Morgendorffer

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2010-08-07 01:11 ]

MN

I have seven of ten.

On 2010-08-07 01:10, Wayfarer wrote:
Very lucky, I brought a bottle of Tanduay 'Premium Aged' back from the duty free shop in the Manila airport (the only thing good about that airport) Sadly, here on Guam I can't find anyone that stocks the stuff. Didn't realize I could bring cases back. Now I know what I'm doing next trip...

"I could be a professional writer if I put my mind to it. A bitter, angry hack that starts fistfights at cocktail parties- I could do that job."
-Daria Morgendorffer

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2010-08-07 01:11 ]

Yes, you can. Do so under a business import record. BUT, tariffs and duty($$$$) apply.

A

Seems to me that one could not properly mix a lot of great cocktails without a dry light rum.

I don't quite understand the dire need for Wray & Nephew Overproof. Kaiser Penguin states: "I’m not sure how anyone could live without it." I live without it daily, and I can't think of a cocktail I've ever made that called for it (even if he does supply a recipe on the same page).

I agree with most of the choices, but El Dorado isn't around in Michigan and appears on almost all the lists. Really want to try it now.

Pages: 1 10 replies