Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 7-28-10 Playlist

Pages: 1 0 replies

Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr/live.htm This week’s show featured music with a Latin tinge.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: July 28, 2010

1. “Mambo Rumbon” from the collection: Tito Puente -- The Complete 78s -- Volume 4 -- 1949-55, With Mongo Santamaria & Willie Bobo on Congas & Bongos

2. “Rhapsody in Rhumba” From the Box Set: Cab Calloway & His Orchestra -- Volume 2 [Disc D: 1939-1940] With Dizzy Gillespie on Trumpet, Milt Hinton on Bass; Chu Berry on Tenor Sax, Cozy Cole on Drums

3. “Kiu' Kiu'” By the Kalima Brothers from the CD: Vintage Hawaiian Legends, Volume 1– The Kalima Brothers & The Richard Kauhi Quartette. Jesse Kalima on Ukulele, Albert Kalima on String Bass, Honey Kalima and Cyril “Gabby” Gomes on Guitars, Junior Kalima, Julian Gasper on Lap Steel Guitar and Richard Kapapanuihanumoku Kauhi on Piano. Recorded in the late 1940s. This is a Hawaiian “Katchi-Katchi” Latin music version of the Carmen Miranda song.

4. “El Sopon” by Obdulio Moralez-Marion from the CD: Mobologia Pa’ Gozar, Volume 1

5. “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)” by Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack from their CD: Shake Those Hula Hips

6. “This Song of Love (Dahil Sa Iyo)” by Alfred Apaka With the Hawaiian Village Serenaders from the recording: My Isle of Golden Dreams

7. “Mambo Inn” by The George Shearing Quintet from the CD anthology: Latin Jazz/La Combinacion Perfecta

8. “I Should Care” From the CD: A Proper Introduction to Johnny Hartman -- There Goes My Heart, With Dizzy Gillespie and His Orchestra/Recorded in 1949.

9. “Tico-Tico” By Charlie Parker's Jazzers from the CD Box Set: Boss Bird – Studio Recordings 1944-51/Disc 4 – My Little Suede Shoes, With Walter Bishop on Piano, Teddy Kotick on Bass, Roy Haynes on Drums, Luis Miranda on Conga, Jose Manguel on Bongos. Recorded in 1951.

10. Intro “Welcome to the Tiki Lounge” and “Tico Tico” by Duke Robillard and Sunny Crownover from their CD: Tales From the Tiki Lounge, Dedicated to the Music of Les Paul.” Sunny Crownover on Vocals, Duke Robillard on Guitars, Marty Ballou on Bass, Mark Texeira on Percussion & Drums, Doug James on Bass Clarinet.

11. “Brazilleros” from the CD anthology: The Exotic Sounds of Arthur Lyman

12. “Ixtapa” from the CD: Just Add Poncho Sanchez Instant Party, With Pancho Sanchez on Congas, Gene Burkett on Tenor Sax, Sal Cracchiolo Trumpet, Tony Banda on Bass, David Torres on Piano and Art Velasco on Trombone.

13. “Hot Like Lava” From the CD: The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki

14. “Malia My Tita” by Buddy Fo and the Invitations from the CD collection: Territorial Airwaves – Radio Hula. Recorded in 1965

15. “Bamboo Skin” By Andy Nazzal from his CD: The Exoticating Waves of Tiki Joe’s Ocean

16. “Tiki & Quiet Village” from the Two-CD set: The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny

Pages: 1 0 replies