Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Concerning fresh limes, lemons, etc.

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

Well, a friend showed me the other day a little fact about fruit flies: every piece of fruit you bring home has tons of fly-eggs on them, no matter if it's organic, non-organic with an eye-pleasing wax finish & pesticides etc., so this explains why a sealed trash can will explode with the little fellas after the rinds have been tossed earlier. So, getting a kitchen scrubber and going over the surface ruggedly under the tap is good enough to blast the hatchlings away.
Good also for those squeamish about having bugs in their drink via rind-garnish (tho' I guess the alcohol does 'em in right away), even if it is a tiny extra bit of protein for your system...

Yuckkkkkk!

A

Sometimes it's best to be ignorant of some things.

Besides, those eggs contain plenty of protein.

DARN! My secret Zombie ingredient exposed at last!

G

Gee, thanks for ruining my Zombie.

Good also for those squeamish about having bugs in their drink via rind-garnish

I don't mind. I don't think a little bug can drink much.

Beware, fruit flies LOVE to hang out inside whiskey bottles.

good times.

S

On 2010-07-29 17:41, Shaun of theTiki wrote:

It's a common problem with all liquor. You will find them floating in your bottles if you have pour tops on them and not completely sealed.

On 2010-07-30 09:05, Swanky wrote:

On 2010-07-29 17:41, Shaun of theTiki wrote:

It's a common problem with all liquor. You will find them floating in your bottles if you have pour tops on them and not completely sealed.

Just try to think of them as the worm in the bottle of tequila.

W

As an entomologist, all I have to say is a hearty "Meh".
Honestly, doesn't bother me. Ingesting a few eggs isn't going to kill you, your GI tract is a pretty hostile environment.
If this bothers you, don't ever look up the natural pollination process of figs.

Pages: 1 10 replies