Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Black Tot

Pages: 1 10 replies

saw this article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/29/black_tot_rum/
and thought it might interest a few rum fans here.

Those of you with a taste for rum and 600 quid to spare might like to uncork a bottle of Black Tot "Last Consignment" British Royal Naval Rum, lovingly decanted from the official stocks held by the Senior Service since sailors' final rum ration in 1970.

On July 31 of that year, at precisely six bells in the forenoon watch, Jack tars were issued their ultimate hit of rum on what became known as "Black Tot Day".

The remaining rum - likely imported from the West Indies in oak barrels by official supplier ED & F Man & Co - was poured into stone flagons and transferred to HM bonded warehouses, where it lay undisturbed, apart from tapping for the odd state occasion.

Six thousand bottles of Black Tot rum have now been released to landlubbers to mark the 40th anniversary of Black Tot Day. For your £599 you get a 70cl bottle* of 54.3 per cent strength rum in a custom wooden box, complete with 80-page history of naval rum by spirits author Dave Broom, a certificate of authenticity and, crucially, a half gill copper cup to dispense the correct ration.

Good god... we got a bottle of this in at work.
$976.
INSANE.

Anybody wanna go in on a bottle?

I KEED, I KEED.

G

Bet it makes a great rum and coke.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2011 7:21 PM

It better.

S

Haven't had a chance to try it myself but i do know a few bartenders that have. All of them said it was nothing special and i can imagine it really wouldn't be. What you're really drinking is history.

On 2011-11-06 23:57, swizzle wrote:
What you're really drinking is history.

This is true but i don`t agree that it´s nothing special.I found it had a very great taste and an exceptional long finish but there´s many other rums that are equally good, especially among good demeraras.

For those interested the Whiskey-exchange in London sell mini samples of it.I haven´t bought any and if i do sometimes, then i´m buying history more than a great rum.

Well, since I'm the rum geek at work, I've been charged with moving our bottle of Black Tot.
Our price is $977 pre-tax.
If anyone's interested, let me know.

Frankie's has a bottle for sale

:o

Zombie topic...

I have a '55 British Navy Imperial Rum, and it is hands down the best rum I have ever tasted.

100 pf, aged 10 years, super smooth, absolutely amazing.

I don't have the vocab to adequately describe this to you unfortunately.

Michael has the same one at Forbidden Island, unless he has run out.

This is the rum that all rum should aspire to be.

On 2016-11-10 15:41, hang10tiki wrote:
Frankie's has a bottle for sale

:o

And I thought getting the anniversary mugs were expensive!!!!!! Yikes!

:)

Cheers all

Pages: 1 10 replies