Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Beachcomber, Winnipeg, Canada (restaurant)

Pages: 1 13 replies

Name:The Beachcomber
Type:restaurant
Street:220 Carlton Street (Carlton Motor Hotel)
City:Winnipeg
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I was lucky enough to pick up a menu and postcard set from The Beachcomber restaurant located in Winnipeg, Canada. There have been several posts about the sister restaurants located in Vancouver and Edmonton, but nothing under Locating Tiki for this one yet.

Lets start with the multi view postcard.

The back of the card advertising the Steak Pit and dinning in huts under the stars.

This must be the Steak Pit.

And the huts under the stars.

Check out the Tiki totems.

Another great room, looks like Leteegs hanging on the left wall.

Here are the large dinner and drink menus.

A graphic from the dinner menu that looks a lot like the hut from The Tahitian restaurant in Pasadena.

A little Tiki figure from the drink menu.

Several references in the menu to the host Jack Porter.

The location on the back of the menu.

A postcard showing the exterior of the hotel and The Beachcomber sign.

And finally a matchbook style that appears to be unique to this location.

DC

I have a couple more matchbook styles from the Beachcomber that were used at multiple locations.

The one of the left included two locations in Edmonton and Victoria, and the one on the right listed all five locations. I have not seen much info on the restaurant in Victoria.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2010-12-08 23:22 ]

I recently acquired a batch of Tiki swizzles that included this red one from the Beachcomber in Winnipeg.

This is the first time I have seen one of these that is completely solid in color rather than opaque.

DC

OMG - that's where I stayed when I was in Winnipeg several years ago! There was still a restaurant/dining room there, but any tiki stuff was long gone. Nice staff, but a somewhat seedy place, with panhandlers and drunks hanging around outside, cigarette-burned 70s furniture in the room, ice machines in the corridors, and the whole place featured the delicate fragrance of eau de cigarette. Pretty much perfect accommodation for the likes of me... :)

Since then, the whole place seems to have been refurbished as a boutique hotel, judging from this Website:

http://www.carltoninn.mb.ca/

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ Edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-08-03 19:22 ]

On 2011-08-03 19:21, Club Nouméa wrote:

Since then, the whole place seems to have been refurbished as a boutique hotel, judging from this Website:

http://www.carltoninn.mb.ca/

Still looks kinda dive-y to me.

My name is Steve and I'm a filmmaker/tiki collector here in Winnipeg.

I'm looking for any artifacts from the Beachcomber that was here in Winnipeg.
It's for a new project that I'm working on about Winnipeg nightlife during the 50s/60s.
Also anything from the Mauna Loa that used to be in Portage La Prairie or any other
night club/ cocktail lounge in Winnipeg from that era.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[ Edited by: louisprima 2011-10-29 12:03 ]

Dug up this ad from the 1966 Winnipeg Visitors Guide.

[ Edited by: louisprima 2011-11-04 23:21 ]

Just thought I'd post a few interesting items from the Beachcomber that I've picked up recently.

Napkin circa 1970

Mug from the Winnipeg Beachcomber from probably around 1970 as well. The bottom reads: CERAMICS CANADA CALGARY ALBERTA.

This mug is also from the Beachcomber but may date from the late 70s or 1980s.

Found a few fuzzy ads for the Beachcomber grand opening.

DC

Opps.

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2013-01-21 17:07 ]

Found this pic of the Beachcomber bar area circa 1964, while doing research for my documentary (which is finally in production)!

I wish I could find a picture of Mr. Jack Porter. I've searched high and low with no success. The old location of the Beachcomber Polynesian Restaurant is slated for demolition this summer.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Carlton-Inn-to-be-demolished-to-make-room-for-convention-centre-expansion-207418451.html

[ Edited by: louisprima 2013-06-27 18:04 ]

Another matchbook variation from the Winnipeg Beachcomber.

You have to love a place with a "Steak Pit".

DC

On 2013-03-04 23:11, louisprima wrote:
Found this pic of the Beachcomber bar area circa 1964, while doing research for my documentary (which is finally in production)!

This thread has been so helpful. Thanks DustyCajun and louisprima for the great digs. I would love to see this documentary

Pages: 1 13 replies