Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Ding Dong Devils CD now out! Tassels, Mai-Tais & Mischief!

Pages: 1 11 replies

C

Hot off the press -- copies of our debut Ding Dong Devils CD "Tassels, Mai-Tais & Mischief"--produced and mixed by Dave Klein (who also plays a bit of organ and percussion), mastered by Jim Bacchi, cover art by Derek Yaniger! We'll have copies of the CD (and t-shirts as well) when we do our room parties at Tiki Oasis. I'll also bring some along to Surf Guitar 101 on Saturday (and a few to Don the Beachcombers this Monday).

So much good new music out this summer! I'll pick one up from ya on Monday night Brent!

I want the super deluxe package!
The one with free fireworks & Exploding Fez....
Thanks! Brent....

HT

Please bring a copy of your new CD for me, HB TIKI

I want a copy where the cover model comes to life and pops out of the cd to full size.
:wink:
Jeff(btd)

M

Wow...there's a few more tunes on there than on the burn you gave me...

C

Lance and Jeff: we're still working out all the kinks in the pyrotechnics (and the pyrotechnics in the kinks--by which I don't mean Ray Davies). When it all works right, the fez will explode with fireworks, followed by the pop-up cover model. So far, tests have been a failure, but fun--with a lot of people ending up with singed eyebrows, and covered in soot and tasseled pasties.

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 6:59 PM

Here's my review:

THIS IS TIKI MUSIC !!

The Ding Dongs actually sing about Tiki culture, there can be no debate.

My favorite songs were:

1. Rob Roy - Have you ever actually tried to order a Rob Roy from a bartender who didn't know what it was? I have. That's this song. (OK, maybe not Tiki but I did identify with it :) )

2. Ballad of a Taboo Image - Sure maybe there's been lyrics about Tikis, but was there ever a song sung from the perspective of a Tiki ?? (Well maybe the Enchanted Tiki Room but I've never been). This song tracks original Tiki-style, the devolution, and then the revival.

3. Tassel Hassle - I thought they were singing "Tassel Castle" (a fez ??). Fun song but I think my original take on the lyrics are better. :)

4. Theme from "The Belly Dancers of Bali Bali" - I suspect there's actual Poly-pop history behind this. Was this a movie? I need to research it.

5. Sufferin' Bastard - Was there ever a song based on the actual ingredients for a Tropical drink ??

6. Mai Tais in the Moonlight - More homages to the Tropical drinks that we love.

7. I Carry a Tiki Torch for You - They name drop "The Bahooka in Rosemead" !!

8. False Idols Put a Curse on You - A sad song about the Tiki devolution. And in a perfect Tiki world provides a just end to the guilty.

If you consider yourself a true Tikiphile then this is a must have. Organize it alphabetically next to Martin Denny. :D

C

John-O, thanks so much for being one of the first people to buy the CD, and thank you for the review!

I think you and Edwin (Rama Lama), who wrote Rob Roy, are on the same wavelength when it comes to ordering Rob Roys.

"Tassel Hassle" (written by me) is our idea of a burlesque bump and grind song, if Vic Mizzy tried to hijack the pit band halfway through the act. I like the idea of a Tassel Castle though--maybe featuring burlesque performers who start out in armor entering over a drawbridge.

Rosann (Puka von Pele) is the author of Theme from "Belly Dancers of Bali Bali." And it's one of the titles that movie star Ginger Grant (of "Gilligan's Island") cited as her most famous movies. Puka then threw in the names of some of the more obscure actresses who played jungle girls in movies of the 1940's and 1950's (bypassing the obvious ones like Dorothy Lamour, Yvonne DeCarlo, Maria Montez and Aquanetta)--thus the mentions of Carol Thurston, Julia "Nabonga" London, etc.

Needless to say, "False Idols Put a Curse on You" was inspired largely by the work and viewpoint of BigBroTiki.

Caltiki (Brent)

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-08-04 11:11 ]

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-08-04 11:11 ]

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-08-04 11:15 ]

All kidding aside, The TeeShirt looks marvelous! Derek's artwork just snaps,crackles & pops!
everyone needs one of the Tee's, just Tony Tiger Great,Brent!

I will be getting one of these on sat. at the SG101 convention.
very much looking forward to it.

Jeff(btd)

C

For anyone not going to Tiki Oasis or not able to attend our Don the Beachcomber HB show 9/18, you can now purchase the Ding Dong Devils new CD online at CD Baby (plus there are samples of all the songs):

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dingdongdevils

Pages: 1 11 replies